Subaru with Eyesight install question

Drbwell

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR750S-2CH
Has anybody here installed the DR750S 2 channel in a 2019 Subaru Legacy with Eyesight? I’m looking for an installation video to help me do the install.

Welcome to DCT @Drbwell :)

The search engine on this site sucks- trying "Subaru" got a few hits but I didn't see any on the Legacy. I do remember there being some discussion of the "Eyesight" sensor pod on one or two of those threads, IIRC regards to mounting. Probably different cams involved, but they all mount and work similarly. Again I might not remember correctly but I think someone did a mount on the bottom or that sensor pod. There's generally 3 things to watch for when doing the front cam: Be sure it's where the wipers clear the view; be sure you can dismount the cam, access the card, and cables can be ran without hitting something; and most important is that cable routing does not interfere with airbag deployment.

You can probably find a vid on a very similar car which might help. If you're still not certain you can always use blue painter's tape to hold the cam in place temporarily as you check how everything else fits and works. And almost any car audio shop can do this for you if you're still uncertain about it all.

I would recommend doing a "blue tape" install and not replacing any pulled trim on the rear cam cable routing until you start the car and drive a block or two, then check your radio on weak stations and check keyless entry range with the cam operating. Sometimes there is interference found, and re-routing the cable or relocating that cam is necessary to mitigate that. Doesn't always happen, just something to be aware of. IMHO the DR750S is Blackvue's best cam overall, very reliable with good enough video quality and darn few problems reported compared to their newer models.

Phil

Welcome to DCT @Drbwell :)

The search engine on this site sucks- trying "Subaru" got a few hits but I didn't see any on the Legacy. I do remember there being some discussion of the "Eyesight" sensor pod on one or two of those threads, IIRC regards to mounting. Probably different cams involved, but they all mount and work similarly. Again I might not remember correctly but I think someone did a mount on the bottom or that sensor pod. There's generally 3 things to watch for when doing the front cam: Be sure it's where the wipers clear the view; be sure you can dismount the cam, access the card, and cables can be ran without hitting something; and most important is that cable routing does not interfere with airbag deployment.

You can probably find a vid on a very similar car which might help. If you're still not certain you can always use blue painter's tape to hold the cam in place temporarily as you check how everything else fits and works. And almost any car audio shop can do this for you if you're still uncertain about it all.

I would recommend doing a "blue tape" install and not replacing any pulled trim on the rear cam cable routing until you start the car and drive a block or two, then check your radio on weak stations and check keyless entry range with the cam operating. Sometimes there is interference found, and re-routing the cable or relocating that cam is necessary to mitigate that. Doesn't always happen, just something to be aware of. IMHO the DR750S is Blackvue's best cam overall, very reliable with good enough video quality and darn few problems reported compared to their newer models.

Phil
Thanks Phil for the quick and in depth reply. I’m not sure if I really want to take this one on myself. I sold my Chevy Silverado for this and planned on moving the camera’s, power magic pro and uniden R7 To the legacy. Both were hardwired into the Chevy.

Doing a cam install is not that complicated, but there may be a lot of trim pieces to shift and knowing how to do that without damaging them varies from car-to-car. Luckily most car manufacturer's do things very similarly through the years, but sometimes a new year will bring a change to that pattern. If someone else does the job they have to replace any pieces they damage and for a new car that can get costly since those won't be available used yet. Car audio shops usually know the tricks and have access to service manuals or a friend at the dealership to help get them through safely ;)

If you do try it, just go slow and carefully and stop when you're no longer sure of what's happening. You can let someone else pick things up from there if need be.

Phil

I’m looking in my area for a reputable installer. I usually look at there google ratings. I’m not sure if I should go to a Subaru dealership for them to do it. Probably will be costly because of the time factor.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can recommend a known-good shop to work with. A very good chance of that if you're in a major metropolitan area.

Phil

St. Augustine, FL about 40 min south of Jacksonville

@OCD Tronic @Street Guardian USA may be able to find you an installer through their contacts. You might get a faster response by posting something like "Looking for Installer in St Augustine FL" in the General Discussion forum.

Phil

Hard to beat a dealer recommendation- hope it all goes smoothly and with a good price!

Phil

He said $180 plus the radar detector, I’m thinking $200 all in

Back