Submitting a Video as Evidence?

One of the problems with putting the vid on YT and sending insurance the link is that, often, large companies don't allow access to certain websites - they don't want an employee sat looking at YT vids of kitty all day long!

Also, involving people who don't need to be involved is a double edged sword. What if your insurer thinks it's not your fault only then to notice that someone has placed a comment on YouTube which they hadn't thought of claiming you are wholly or partially to blame?

A couple of weeks ago I e-mailed a couple of companies complaining about their drivers being jerks on the road. It's not the first time I've complained in recent years, but now it's the first time I've been able to add video to a complaint. I've used two of YouTube's options that I think would meet your requirements. The first is to make the video private so only people with the actual link can view it. This way you don't get listed in search results or at the end of other related videos. The second option is to restrict all comments on the video. No one can comment, just view. And, in the end, you can always take down the video at any point you start to feel uncomfortable with it being half-public.

It was interesting, though. The first company I e-mailed viewed the video about 20 times through a couple of days and replied with a generic "we're sorry, we'll try to correct it". That was the end, the video has no traffic anymore. The second company, though, has viewed the video more than a hundred times from a bunch of different devices (iPads, mobile phones, PCs, etc.) and they keep visiting the video up until today. I'm guessing they're using it for other purposes than to just assign blame. They also responded with a "we'll try to correct it" message but after seeing so much activity on the video I do believe my complaint didn't go ignored.

A couple of weeks ago I e-mailed a couple of companies complaining about their drivers being jerks on the road. It's not the first time I've complained in recent years, but now it's the first time I've been able to add video to a complaint. I've used two of YouTube's options that I think would meet your requirements. The first is to make the video private so only people with the actual link can view it. This way you don't get listed in search results or at the end of other related videos. The second option is to restrict all comments on the video. No one can comment, just view. And, in the end, you can always take down the video at any point you start to feel uncomfortable with it being half-public.

It was interesting, though. The first company I e-mailed viewed the video about 20 times through a couple of days and replied with a generic "we're sorry, we'll try to correct it". That was the end, the video has no traffic anymore. The second company, though, has viewed the video more than a hundred times from a bunch of different devices (iPads, mobile phones, PCs, etc.) and they keep visiting the video up until today. I'm guessing they're using it for other purposes than to just assign blame. They also responded with a "we'll try to correct it" message but after seeing so much activity on the video I do believe my complaint didn't go ignored.

Didn't know you could do that. Thanks.

YT gives three options - make it private (only people you choose can view), Unlisted (anyone with the link can view) or public.

I think the difference between the first two options is that the link for a private vid cannot be passed around, whereas unlisted means that the vid doesn't appear on a search & the link can be shared. (although I might be wrong, I often am - just ask the wife!)

That vid is set to private, I guess it doesn't matter now if others see it?

It's completely private i tried to play it and can't.
I have also only put two or three videos up to show a family member or friend something that has happened, and keep them private. My brother finally agreed to put a camera in his car after i showed him a few videos.

If you are using the Drag and Drop feature on the main upload screen Squid make sure you click the drop down menu in the middle of the screen and change it from public to private or unlisted before you drag and drop. If you miss it and drag a video over and walk away to let it process it will end up becoming public.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's completely private i tried to play it and can't.
OK, that was the private setting - so even with the vid linked on here it was a non-player?
I've now set it to "unlisted"...
Watch the vehicles passing on the main road - 12s

OK, that was the private setting - so even with the vid linked on here it was a non-player?/quote]

That is correct. Even embed linked here it said. This Video Is Private
Now that you set it to unlisted it is playable here or if you give someone the direct link, but if i were to search Fed Ex in YouTube i would not be able to find it still

Back