Successfully Surviving Overheat, Heat Sinks Helped A LOT!

know610

Reaction score
Country
United States
All these extras for the Blackview.. Want to reflect the heat? For free? Simply go to a window store that tints windows and ask for some samples or scraps ... I put a small strip of Titanium heat control film just above the DR900s back last December.. Works great..Cant even see it from the outside
Thank you for the suggestion.

You apply the Titanium heat control film on the dashcam or windshield? Outside temp currently above 85F. Q800Pro shut off after going to park mode within 2-3hrs. It cannot handle the heat. It doesn't matter indirect or direct sunlight, it still shut off if outside temp is above 80F.

Yesterday was around 80ish but little windy and some cloudy (not as hot) and Q800Pro still shut off.

Banshee Bob

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a strip about 7 inch by 4 inch on the inside of the windshield. Cuts the direct heat on the 900s by a bunch......
well worth the trip to the tint store

know610

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a strip about 7 inch by 4 inch on the inside of the windshield. Cuts the direct heat on the 900s by a bunch......
what tint percentage just in case i go ask for the sample. thank

know610

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would you mind taking a picture so I know actually how u put it on. Thank you

aeong

Reaction score
Country
United States
$3 dashcam mount from China

Pros:
Looks a lot more professional

Cons:
Dashcam more visible to outsiders now
Lexus has a huge windshield notch thing and that cuts into the image because mount is just a tad too short
Centering would allow notch reduction, but prevents the use of heatsinks
Heatsinks mutes the mic to about volume level 1 (when set to 5)

But hey, for $3 vs $100 for the blendmount I'll live with those cons.

$10 CPL filter, $6 heatsinks, $3 mount. On a $600 MSRP dashcam yeah I'm cheap LOL

know610

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tinting 20% Gila heat shield plus and still overheat at 80ish degree.

Just for testing, I also use Raspberry Pi heatsink lolz still overheat. Maybe too small

heat.png

Skybird

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
It's amazing what 3rd party companies can do for a product. In New Zealand and Australia, we get our Summer December to February, and in NZ, summer average temperatures are 20s to low 30s'C cause we don't use 'F.

stelloy

Reaction score
Country
United States
$3 dashcam mount from China

Pros:
Looks a lot more professional

Cons:
Dashcam more visible to outsiders now
Lexus has a huge windshield notch thing and that cuts into the image because mount is just a tad too short
Centering would allow notch reduction, but prevents the use of heatsinks
Heatsinks mutes the mic to about volume level 1 (when set to 5)

But hey, for $3 vs $100 for the blendmount I'll live with those cons.

$10 CPL filter, $6 heatsinks, $3 mount. On a $600 MSRP dashcam yeah I'm cheap LOL

Where did you get the CPL from?

locrepins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I’ve had 3 x CPV heatsinks on my DR900 for a few months now but as soon as spring came along it started overheating.
My case is unique in that the windscreen is both very inclined and has literally no frit or tint, so it’s always getting a good sunbathing session.

So far this has saved it from overheating but it I doubt it will when it’s 45C in the summer.

You’ll find these heatsinks all over eBay and the fan is a Noctua A4x10 FLX with a low noise adapter.
Spliced a 3.5mm/1.35mm right angled extension cable for power.
Bunnings has M3x12 countersunk screws that worked perfectly.

If you’re taking this project on yourself I’d suggest forgoing the low noise adapter as it’s already very quiet and using a bare aluminium heatsink if you don’t mind the look.
You can combine 30mm and 40mm heatsinks to maximise the area but I used 2 x 30mm to prevent all the vent holes from being covered.
Also, don’t go overkill on wire gauge or it’ll become an ugly heatshrunk tube like below.

5FFE249B-CDF0-48CF-8C33-CE10169138DA.jpeg

The thermal coupling between the internal components, the case and the heatsink isn’t very good to begin with, but it could be improved using some EK 0.5mm thermal pads. Personally I don’t think this will make a huge difference.

Edit: I reckon moving the 2 x 30mm heatsinks apart leaving space in the centre whilst having the heatsink tilted as far down as possible will push air into the lower vent holes - This would make a significant difference judging by the teardown on FCC.

Last edited: