Successfully Surviving Overheat, Heat Sinks Helped A LOT!

Uuuuu thats hot, my old wrinkly ass would be on the beach in the water under a parasol and drinking lots of sodas.
But are we talking regular driving and recording here or parked in the sun and recording ?

Haha i agree!

The test was done in parking mode, in direct sunlight, closed windows, with the cam fully exposed to the sun

Daum,,, impressive not least factoring in what others have reported, Maybe hey done some magic in the firmware's lately.

If it get too warm i am more than willing to take some of your hand, summer this year in Denmark seem to line up with the same old same old, and that don't impress me.
In 1990 we was bunkering fuel from a barge off Oman i think it was, the guys over there was dropping like flies as their aircon did not work, and this was locals, i was standing guard at the connection on deck, with a plastic bag filled with ice cubes on my head, and a few holes poked in the plastic.
Back then we was moving Naphtha from Saudi Arabia to Japan, and the ship had done that for some years strait when i engaged it.

Great find, will purchase and test - however, it is winter in Australia.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

Today I left my car in direct sunlight all morning until 3pm, with 2 heat sinks installed to the cam

As of 11am “HT” overlay started showing on the video. As per Blackvue notes of the latest heat cutoff temp, this means that the surrounding temp reached the 70c/158f point

This means that the cam will auto shut down if the temp goes up only by additional 5c/9f

Outdoor temp was 36c/96f at that point. The outdoor peak temp of that day was 40c/104f

Surprisingly, despite the fact that the heat kept building up inside the car, it didnt shut down until I came back to the car 4 hours later

I am assuming that the 2 heat sinks setup I am using helped a lot to let the cam survive this extreme heat while parking in direct sunlight for 4 hours straight.

Here are couple of pics for the heat sinks, along with the ebay links. Please note that I installed the heat sinks at the bottom of the cam on purpose, not on the top, since hot air always go up by its nature, so I didnt want to block the vents on top

The SD card I am using is the famous Samsung endurance 128gb, incase anyone was wondering

Thoughts?

UPDATE: June 9th: today the outside temperature was 111F/44c, the car was parked all day in direct sunlight and the cam kept working without issues

UPDATE: June 12th: the temp yesterday was 113F/45c, the car was parked all day long in direct sunlight, with closed windows and the cam kept working without issues

c92ac1f468b5be592c2ff2a24f1a479e.jpg
b13ed6b9e95e7395871207f94b144325.jpg
939901fcbe2170c7197d954f7db0ae1b.jpg
I will be installing my DR900s 2 Ch after my tint cures on my windshield. Will I still need the heatsink? Also, does 20 mm or 40 40mm make a difference?

I will be installing my DR900s 2 Ch after my tint cures on my windshield. Will I still need the heatsink? Also, does 20 mm or 40 40mm make a difference?

I don’t know since my car is not tinted. It all depends on how high the ambient temperature inside your car will be

I didnt understand your second question regarding 20mm and 40mm. Please explain

My guess would be one or two of the aforementioned heatsinks.

I think it is the with of the heatsink, it if fit i would go for the biggest heatsink as things can not really be too cold.

I don’t know since my car is not tinted. It all depends on how high the ambient temperature inside your car will be

I didnt understand your second question regarding 20mm and 40mm. Please explain
Since these are ment for cars I'm assuming. I guess they hv different sizes. I copied this(
To fit 540 motors 35mm in diameter.
20mm wide) and some say 40mm. My question is regarding the 20mm wide.

Since these are ment for cars I'm assuming. I guess they hv different sizes. I copied this(
To fit 540 motors 35mm in diameter.
20mm wide) and some say 40mm. My question is regarding the 20mm wide.

Here is a link that is very helpful. It got all CPV long fins racing heat sinks part#s for all colors and sizes, as well as their dimensions and specs

They all fit, as long as they are made for 540 motor. The question is, how many you can fit?

Answer: 40mm width total

You can do that by either getting the same setup I got which is 2 heat sinks of the 7 fins model, (each is 20mm in width). The problem with that model is most colors are now out of stock on most websites and ebay (except blue and purple from what I have seen)

Alternative solution: get 1 of the 9 fins model (26mm wide) and one of the 5 fins model (14mm wide). Total width= 40mm

What I will do is to copy the model# of the size and color I want and search it on ebay and google until I find a seller that have the color and size I want in stock

You can also go with other shapes, but as per my research, this model got the longest fins which will give the best results. Also you can go with other brands, but make sure that the brand is well known to ensure that the metal they are using will do the job

Here is the link that got all the model#s of the long fins CPV heat sinks and their specs

Let me know if you have any questions!

You can strip color of ALU with drain cleaner ( many do this with parts for RC cars ) but then you are back to "clean" ALU that i assume you can dye with something if you are desperate.

A can of matt black spray paint would sort out the colour PDQ.
Does not the clip block some of the lower ventilation holes in the case?

A can of matt black spray paint would sort out the colour PDQ.
Does not the clip block some of the lower ventilation holes in the case?

It slightly does, but there are big openings in the clip

Also, as I mentioned earlier, it is better to clip the heat sinks from the bottom of the cam, not the top side, since hot air by its nature move upwards and will escape from the top vents so they must be fully open

9c6c94bc14fc3ea5d75e9e0f7ec68f2a.jpg

Will this fit my DR750s ?

Vortex posted a youtube video from this post
Thats how i found out :)

Had over heating issue today with my setup
What’s best for 750S ?

Here is a link that is very helpful. It got all CPV long fins racing heat sinks part#s for all colors and sizes, as well as their dimensions and specs

They all fit, as long as they are made for 540 motor. The question is, how many you can fit?

You can do that by either getting the same setup I got which is 2 heat sinks of the 7 fins model, (each is 20mm in width). The problem with that model is most colors are now out of stock on most websites and ebay (except blue and purple from what I have seen)

Alternative solution: get 1 of the 9 fins model (26mm wide) and one of the 5 fins model (14mm wide). Total width= 40mm

What I will do is to copy the model# of the size and color I want and search it on ebay and google until I find a seller that have the color and size I want in stock

You can also go with other shapes, but as per my research, this model got the longest fins which will give the best results. Also you can go with other brands, but make sure that the brand is well known to ensure that the metal they are using will do the job

Here is the link that got all the model#s of the long fins CPV heat sinks and their specs

Thanks this has been quite helpful. So, buying off Ebay no name brand is a no no I'm assuming? I found 40mm but brand is (none). I'll stick to your link but that shi

Thanks you have been very helpful. I think I'm going to order from the sight you suggested cost a bit more but, because the others are no name on Ebay and it wouldn't make since to invest in a cheap heatsink when I paid for a high quality cam.

Thanks this has been quite helpful. So, buying off Ebay no name brand is a no no I'm assuming? I found 40mm but brand is (none). I'll stick to your link but that shi

Thanks you have been very helpful. I think I'm going to order from the sight you suggested cost a bit more but, because the others are no name on Ebay and it wouldn't make since to invest in a cheap heatsink when I paid for a high quality cam.

As you mentioned, its better to go with a well known brand than going with generic items found on ebay. Good luck and I hope it helps

One bit of of aluminium is pretty much the same as any other bit. If it's got fins and fits, then why pay for the name? :ROFLMAO:

You can strip color of ALU with drain cleaner ( many do this with parts for RC cars ) but then you are back to "clean" ALU that i assume you can dye with something if you are desperate.

Oven cleaner spray also works well for removing anodized coloring. Rinse well with water afterward either way ;) A thin coat of paint won't greatly affect heat transfer to air, and you needn't remove the anodized color to do that.

Phil

One bit of of aluminium is pretty much the same as any other bit. If it's got fins and fits, then why pay for the name? :ROFLMAO:
OK does it matter if I get the one with the hook? Will the ones w/out hook hold on cam?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190618-084834_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190618-084834_eBay.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 15
Back