Successfully Surviving Overheat, Heat Sinks Helped A LOT!

UPDATE: 20/6/2019

I came to my car today around 1:30pm and it was parked outside since the day before

Outside temp: 105f (41c)
Temp inside the car: 158f (70c)
Double heat sinks temp: 168f (76c)
Cam shell temp: 162f (72c)

The cam was working fine without issues

Cheapo $3 40*40mm ebay heatsinks. Fits like a glove. It did scratch the housing because it requires snapping on. 80mm is slightly too long so I'd recommend buying a 40mm+30/35mm.

I also ordered a $5 graphite pad from aliexpress but it hasn't arrived yet. It would've prevented the scratching but it was too tempting not to put the heatsinks to use. Thermal paste is too messy and traditional thermal pads are too fragile. Graphite pads are perfect. Cut to size using an xacto knife.

As for the effectiveness... I don't know. The housing is plastic and plastic is an extremely poor conductor. And the housing isn't even connected to the internals.

In an ideal scenario the heatsinks should cool down the housing and thus cool down the ambient air around the internals. But during my brief testing the heatsinks got uncomfortably hot to the touch, I didn't bother digging out my thermal gun but it was easily above 100f. Maybe the larger black surface area of the heatsink is absorbing its own heat and making the dashcam hotter?

I can't really tell how well this works without placing a thermistor inside or something.
IMG-20190628-132955.jpg

IMG-20190628-133002.jpg

IMG-20190628-133011.jpg

I can't really tell how well this works without placing a thermistor inside or something.
IMG-20190628-132955.jpg

Wow! This look really cool and neat! Love it!

Please share with us the link where people can buy these heat sinks, also, please keep us updated about your test results

Wow! This look really cool and neat! Love it!

Please share with us the link where people can buy these heat sinks, also, please keep us updated about your test results

Searching any 540 heatshink on ebay/aliexpress should work, just make sure they are 40mm.

Heatsink:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332572373771
Heatsink with fan:
12v to 5v step down:

What I want to do is buy 2x Noctua 40x20mm fans and mount them onto the heatsink. They are 12v so it will work directly from a fuse tap. Both fans will draw .10a and a standard car battery can power it for 18 days. A power magic pro can be included for safeguarding. I think it will work really, really well with zero doubts of its effectiveness but it will look ridiculous.

What I want to do is buy 2x Noctua 40x20mm fans and mount them onto the heatsink. They are 12v so it will work directly from a fuse tap. Both fans will draw .10a and a standard car battery can power it for 18 days. A power magic pro can be included for safeguarding. I think it will work really, really well with zero doubts of its effectiveness but it will look ridiculous.

That will be ab overkill. Double heat sinks worked with me just fine with an outside temp of 113f, inside temp of 158f. I doubt that it will get that hot in your area, does it?

Also, the fans noise will be annoying despite being small

And as they are close to the microphone, they would possibly drown out any audio from the car with the air flow and inevitable vibration.

A single 80mm fan mounted down on the dash powered by a small solar cell would be a better idea, then you are circulating the air in the cabin, swapping some of the very hot air from the roof/dashcam area with cooler air from lower down, and being solar powered the fan will only run when it needs to run, and being down on the dash it will be far enough away not to cause much issue for the microphone. Don't recomend Noctua fans for that though, they tend to stall when a cloud goes over and then don't start again!

Don't think it would ever be necessary though, a tiny smear of thermal paste on the contact surface, hardly enough to see, would probably make more difference.
Look bad ass, how i would expect a high performance dashcam to look.
Agreed, don't understand why dashcams don't have cooling fins built in as standard!

I wonder how much heat will be reduced by just a white or chrome case of the camera. :D

And as they are close to the microphone, they would possibly drown out any audio from the car with the air flow and inevitable vibration.

Now that you mention it the vibration might cause the blackvue not to go into parking mode.

Sorry to highjack. I saw OP and a few other successfully achieve heat issue and would like some input. Was wondering would any heatsink work? I have Q800Pro and it shutoff at 80F and above outside temp.
Can I use something like this to help with the heat issue and placed as picture? https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07CVVPC7SThank you
Q800-11jpg.jpg

Sorry to highjack. I saw OP and a few other successfully achieve heat issue and would like some input. Was wondering would any heatsink work? I have Q800Pro and it shutoff at 80F and above outside temp.
Can I use something like this to help with the heat issue and placed as picture? https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07CVVPC7SThank you
View attachment 47271
No point putting the heatsink in the sun, needs to be in the shade.
And choose the black version, black will be cooler :cool:

No point putting the heatsink in the sun, needs to be in the shade.
And choose the black version, black will be cooler :cool:

Sorry I don’t understand your. There’s no shade at where I parked.
Then u said black is better but then u say no point of putting heat sink.

Sorry I don’t understand your. There’s no shade at where I parked.
If your car does not have a roof to create some shade then I don't think the heatsink will help, but if you do have a roof then there will be some shade inside the car.

If your car does not have a roof to create some shade then I don't think the heatsink will help, but if you do have a roof then there will be some shade inside the car.

I have Acura TLX. What do you mean by roof?

I have Acura TLX. What do you mean by roof?
The roof is the thing that keeps the sun off the top of you head and dashcam.

I don't know anything about Acura, seems the TL doesn't have a roof, maybe the TLX does?

Acura-TL-Convertible-4.jpg

Yes, my car has roof..

A9E80BFE-F211-433B-819D-6DDB8723F680.jpeg
The roof is the thing that keeps the sun off the top of you head and dashcam.

I don't know anything about Acura, seems the TL doesn't have a roof, maybe the TLX does?

Acura-TL-Convertible-4.jpg

All these extras for the Blackview.. Want to reflect the heat? For free? Simply go to a window store that tints windows and ask for some samples or scraps ... I put a small strip of Titanium heat control film just above the DR900s back last December.. Works great..Cant even see it from the outside

Back