Suction-type mounts that work with the A129?

crusho

Reaction score
Country
United States
UPDATE/EDIT: I see that this has already basically been answered in this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/suction-cup-mount-for-a129-pro.40557. I didn't consider the vibration that would be introduced, but still would like to be able to swivel the camera when needed (i.e., a police stop). I would have kept the VAVA puck, but the quality just wasn't there, even with the 1440p resolution with the rear cam disconnected.

This isn't specific to the Pro, but are any suction-type mounts that work with the A129 front camera that would 1) allow the unit to swivel 2) allow for easier removal of the unit when necessary? Even if the attachment to the mount is just using the 3M adhesive that would normally stick right on the windshield?

Last edited:
There is a universal suction cup, often used for radar detectors and so on, but also used with dashcams.

cdf75058-163d-47cc-bc34-7c721761bcd4_1.jpg

Not much swiveling in it, that most often just make the mount weaker and so can introduce jello effect in the footage.
The suction cup cameras are also not stealthy, among other things for the suction cup but also the cameras dangling from it.

I use this for mounting a 'spare' wedge style camera when needed (loaner/rental vehicle, borrowing neighbor's truck, etc.). Very solid - no vibration. I use 3M Dual Lock tape on the camera mounting plate and the suction mount so the camera's not permanently attached.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0

I use velcro for the radar Radenso Pro unit, as I don't leave it when parked. Just need two square patches, one on the unit and one on the dash.
I use velcro for my iPhone for years and no issue, as I take it with me when parked. Velcro won't stick to some cases, which is why I use leather case for iPhone Pro 11 Max.

From home depot, I use small (bendable) metal used for joints in lumber. I cover it over with velcro both side, then form it with a stand, using a close door and door jam, which I stick to a small piece of velcro (opposite velcro) on the dash so that I can view the map directions when driving. Look good, you can use black or white. Velcro the most expensive part, the rest is pennies.

Could be done for camera, but it left all the time, so it is mounted on windshield with VIOFO setup.

I've seen that ARKON BT010 come up in a bunch of places. Might give it a shot, just because right now my mounting is a little too stealthy — I can't see the screen at all, and have to do gymnastics to even see the buttons. As for Velcro, I might order some of these if I can't find what left of the package I ordered a year ago — they're the standard mount for the NYS EZ-Pass, and they lock in place like cement; they're like Velcro on steroids. [Product link deleted; not sure if they're allowed. Attached pic instead]. You can search on "Heavy Duty Mounting Strips/EZ Pass".

(Just realized these are the "3M dual-lock tape" DT MI referred to above.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 4.50.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 4.50.10 PM.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 10
They do have cheaper Velcro, but I always get the strongest, commercial.

Arkon makes very good suction cup mounts. I have one on my A129 Duo. It's not perfect, like any suction cup, it'll come off every now and again. So occasionally you'll find your camera dangling. It happens due to hot / cold weather changes. However, it is a very solid product that I've used over a year and is well made.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jchantw A129 Pro / A129 Pro Duo 19
Back