Sudden file issue on SD card? (maybe easy fix, images inside)

Warren Chrol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So every couple of weeks I take my card inside the house and go through my "Protected" clips, keeping interesting clips and saving them to my PC.

Today, I was doing just that, saved 2 clips, everything going fine, then suddenly (literally after no specific action) the explorer window refreshes and the 20 something video files disappear and I am left with this:

3d8a3dd0539b9bfcdad97c2561834204.png

d0a39f75cf6b7250d4da744c17b75a6a.png

a29e6afd934a459faf9285d9c126d371.png

card or card reader is failing

I'll give the card a try in my laptop tomorrow then, see if it's the card or the reader. If it's the card, I will be very annoyed, as it's 3 months old, brand new ultra tough card specifically for dashcams and cameras

It happen, i had 2 high end memory cards die on me before i got to fill either of them 1 time,,,,,, their replacement have all been fine.

It happen, i had 2 high end memory cards die on me before i got to fill either of them 1 time,,,,,, their replacement have all been fine.

Been using dash cams for quite a few years now. Cameras themselves have been perfectly fine, but the cards.. holy moly I wish I could travel forward in time just to bring back some decent SD Cards lol

Just formatted (lost 3 weeks of protected clips :'( ) to FAT32 and am updating the firmware on my 512

We've seen hieroglyphics before, failing or failed card. How many times do you reckon the card has been written to and what make is it ?

Ah Sandisk. They are notorious for not being up to dashcam standards. There are dozens, if not more, posts here about failed Sandisks.

Ah Sandisk. They are notorious for not being up to dashcam standards. There are dozens, if not more, posts here about failed Sandisks.

I only chose this one as opposed to kingston, samsung, etc, as it is "high endurance" and literally specifically designed for Dash Cams and other cams =/ If this is failing already I (****ing) give up on SD cards!

If it has failed, send it back under warranty.

he has the High Endurance card which is ideal for dashcams, the entry level red and grey Ultra series cards are the ones not to use in dashcams

Follow this thread, download the tools and test the card:

Let us know.

Post #6 should be noted as well as Sandisk High Endurance are not immune:

Next-base recommend Sandisk which I do follow advice.

I thought they advised against Sandisk, as most dashcam manufacturers do ?

Hmm, I have a Samsung card in mine. Been in use for 15 months and no issues.

What speed do the various testing programs report ?

Dashcams need high read/write speeds and often some cards fail these speed tests.

In my 5+ years of playing around with dashcams, one thing has appeared to be a constant: even those cards which work well in all other cams might not work well in the one you've got. Which is why I always recommend seeing what results other owners of your exact type of cam are finding to work well with it, then using only those cards.

The newer SanDisk "A1" branded cards are generally good; their older cards generally weren't. The Samsung EVO cards have always been generally good, with the EVO Plus or Select (same card) being the one to get now. Lots of people recommend "endurance" type cards which often have lower write speeds than the same brand's regular cards and that can cause problems. Lexar cards are now to be avoided after the company was sold and product cheapening occurred. The new silver colored Transcend cards are also to be avoided though their older premium cards were good and others in their line today may be good. I haven't seen much about Kingston or PNY lately so no comments on those from me.

Of the cards I've mentioned there are none completely bad- there are only those which will probably work well in your cam and those which probably won't. With a different cam that short list of suitable cards will probably be different. No one card will always work reliably with every cam- that has never been the case and it will probably remain like that.

Phil

Back