suggestion for dashcam with good plates recording at moderate distances day and night

joule5

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Hello everyone:

i wish to ask if somebody can suggest me an good dashcam that have a good quality of image when recording plates from moderate to far distances i currently have an old 1st generation yi dashcam which has the known problem of out of focus and also now the battery do not hold any charge and need to replace basically because is broken and also yesterday needed watch the plate of a car that was at 20-25 feet of distance in the right lane but doing zoom to the image watched nothing than blurriness so need a good dashcam that can register decently plates . till 150 dollars is my budget for a dashcam

best regards
joule5

You can only capture plates at night if you drive behind it at the same speed or very little difference, or if you drive at walking speed past a parked car.
Night time performance is this way with all dashcams no matter its brand or price.
Daytime are much better, but even a dark rainy day can cause problems, but in general plate capture are fine, but as you know at a moderate distance due to the wide angle lenses dashcams use.

No cam does a great job capturing plates- that is always a "maybe" thing. But today's cams do a better job with that than before. Look at the vids of the Viofo A129 (NOT the"DUO" 2-channel version) and the A119S. Also look at these when used with the Modified Firmware which have their own threads here. These are excellent cams with great video and are very good values for their cost. The A129 might have the best vids of any dashcam regardless of cost but that is just my opinion.

The 70Mai is a budget cam which probably has the best vids at that level, but it has a few quirks and issues so learn about them before buying. Definitely not is the same class as the A129, but good for the price.

Phil

Was watching the 70mai but I have had not good experience with xiaomi products lately

Well the only other modern budget-level cam I like is the B1W. It does do a good job at night, but only average in daytime. The 70mai images are better but the B1W is better developed overall and has much, much better factory support than the 70mai. B1W also uses supercaps for heat tolerance and long-term reliability. It does require a smartphone app to handle the settings. Otherwise in budget cams, it's going back to older models like the A118C and that might not be much better than what you have now.

Phil

Back