Suggestion for Future VIOFO Cameras

The Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119S
Am I the only one who thinks that a GPS mount that "piggyback" mounts to non-GPS mount Instead of mounting directly to the windshield would be an improvement? This would allow the user a choice of using the GPS mount or not and, perhaps more importantly, would allow a single GPS mount to be switched between 2 or more vehicles.

You can buy a separate GPS mount for the A119 at Viofo for $14.99 and place them in other vehicles.

Reactions: Mtz
Given that GPS modules are $2-$5, they should never be a separate module in the future anyway.

the type of GPS they use isn't that cheap, even if it was it was a separate module because of space issues, nothing to do with the price
I agree.
I would stay with the manufacturer as it would be designed to be compatible with the unit and price wouldn't deter me to consider any other make of GPS module.

I agree.
I would stay with the manufacturer as it would be designed to be compatible with the unit and price wouldn't deter me to consider any other make of GPS module.

the price is irrelevant, even if it was a dollar it won't fit inside in the current design so it has to be an external module

"Current design" - lol - you really think this model has longevity?

We all know the issues users have faced with these GPS mounts, especially the V1's. Adding another component to the mounting scheme is asking for more trouble.

For starters vibration will increase, nothing that can't be solved by adding EVA foam to both sides but half or more than half of buyers won't even look at the spare EVA pads inside the box and will complain about vibrations. Totally unnecessary.

I'd like to see them do away with the GPS mount altogether. Ever wonder why SG stuck to the previous style GPS module.

Reactions: Mtz
We all know the issues users have faced with these GPS mounts, especially the V1's. Adding another component to the mounting scheme is asking for more trouble.

For starters vibration will increase, nothing that can't be solved by adding EVA foam to both sides but half or more than half of buyers won't even look at the spare EVA pads inside the box and will complain about vibrations. Totally unnecessary.

I'd like to see them do away with the GPS mount altogether. Ever wonder why SG stuck to the previous style GPS module.

Granted, the foam pads are a kludge, and not a particularly user friendly one. There are better ways to solve the vibration issue on future models. One that comes to mind would be to add small flexible rubber buttons near the four corners of the camera body's mount area. Same could be done where the GPS would mount to the non-GPS mount.

As for doing away with the GPS mount, why? Most users don't seem to have problems with it, I know I don't. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

I expect the future GPS mount to have 2 or 4 sliding parts instead of actual 1 sliding part.
A question from me is if the future camera will enter from top to bottom like now or it will be from right to left (or left to right). To save space at the top is better the mounting from sides and not from top.

enjoy,
Mtz

Granted, the foam pads are a kludge, and not a particularly user friendly one. There are better ways to solve the vibration issue on future models. One that comes to mind would be to add small flexible rubber buttons near the four corners of the camera body's mount area. Same could be done where the GPS would mount to the non-GPS mount.

Still another part wedged in between the mount and the camera. Tiniest of slack can lead to vibrations, even with brand new units when usually the fit is tighter. God forbid if one drives a car with a stiff suspension or has subwoofer(s) in the car.

As for doing away with the GPS mount, why? Most users don't seem to have problems with it, I know I don't. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

Going by V1 reviews and returns "Most" would be incorrect, and is also not good enough. Didn't have any issues with mine either but a lot of other users did.

I expect the future GPS mount to have 2 or 4 sliding parts instead of actual 1 sliding part.

More points of contact should definitely help.

To save space at the top is better the mounting from sides and not from top.

I disagree.

Why leave space at the top? Serves no real purpose with a wedge design.

If the windshield has a dotted area (which most cars do), can’t mount it higher than where the dots come into the FOV.

If the windshield does not have a dotted area, doesn't matter if it is 2 inches up or down, will still be visible.

If sideways mounting is made to suit LHD vehicles, mounting location becomes inconvenient for us RHD drivers, especially when reaching for the emergency lock button. Top to down mounting scheme is universal.

Lyavon1, with the forum 4pda, suggested such a solution on neodymium magnets.
Magnetic fastening, good solution, no vibration, quick removal, no backlash.
We would like to see such a solution from the manufacturer Viofo.

the think I don't like about magnet mounts is they can easily detach in an accident, inertia is not their friend

You are mistaken, it is very firm.
And in the event of an accident, any fastening will not help, and even more so on the sucker.

You are mistaken, it is very firm.
And in the event of an accident, any fastening will not help, and even more so on the sucker.

I'm not mistaken, they do attach firmly but magnets slide off each other too easily, sudden changes of direction are a problem for this

but yes suction mounts are even worse for coming off or moving during an accident

they do attach firmly but magnets slide off each other too easily, sudden changes of direction are a problem for this

For this there are skirts, this does not allow to shift even by 1mm
And magnets can be made bigger or smaller for a tight tap.
c5823dc7c01aba83f3415deb152842b6.gif

12014634.jpg

Last edited:
Back