Suggestion on OBD Powered or Voltage Monitor (built-in) Dash Cam?

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Looking for some suggestion on a dash cam for my 2020 Mazda 3 that has parking mode that can be powered by either OBD port or have a built in auto-shutoff feature based on voltage. Not looking to hardwire due to interior fuse box not having any on/off fuse; all constant power fuse only for interior and don't want to have to go through the engine bay fuse box and firewall route. Have a budget of roughly $250.

Parking mode is a feature I would definitely like.

No suggestions?

1, No dashcam with built-in auto shut off, but a few dash cams with built-in "car charger" function, i.e. automatically change 10-30V to 5V;
2, Dash cam usually has the function of "timer“ for parking monitor, i.e. preset the time to power off the dash cam;
3, 2 different kinds of hardwire kits, one is get power from OBD, another is from fuse box, both hardwire kits have the function of "low voltage detection", i.e. automatically cut off power when "power source" voltage lowered to a preset value such as 11.6V or 11.7 or 11.8 or 12V (varies for different hardwire kits).
4, 2 different kinds of power source for parking monitor, one is get power from car battery(both fuse box and OBD get power from car battery), another is get power from external battery pack.

The K2S has an OBD power adapter and I know a few others now have that too, but I can't recall which. And almost every cam has some form of parking mode now.

Phil

What are some good dash cam with motion detection or time lapse parking mode that doesn't require hardwiring? I'm mainly looking into OBD due to ease of use, but some say it's not good for the OBD port.

And looking into a car cigarette socket with auto-shutoff based on voltage or timer, I came across the Rhundo RS-21S; how do they work? If they have voltage shut-off, that opens to much more options for dash cam choices.

The Rhundo would allow you to use cig power and have timer and low voltage cutoff

If that's the case, that will open up a lot more option. Will need to look into what dash cam have decent parking mode and video quality within the $200 price range. One thing I disliked about Viofo A129 Duo is the thick rear camera cable; not sure if there are any alternative cables. Always open to suggestions/options.

Korean brands often have a OBD power option too.

Regarding rear camera cable thickness, then i think it have to be that way as it is powered all the way from the front, BUT ! if that wire was just video signal wire and there was a second power wire, and you had some place in the back to plug that in, then yes the rear camera cable could probably be thinner.
But IMO then with a 2 wire to the rear camera you just move the problem but don't really solve it.

The Rhundo RS-21S are a damn nice bit of kit, i am very happy niko sent me one of those, even if i just use it in its most basic mode of operation then i could rewire it and use its smart features if i should need it.
I have even taken a dremel to my center console to be able to neatly route the wire for the Rhundo RS-21S remote controller.

The K2S cables are relatively thin and come in lengths which will work with almost every vehicle. It does have motion detect but I haven't tested it. The tiny remote cam modules are very discreet. And it does have OBD power adapter supplied which is needed to use parking modes. Add a good 128GB card and you're still within budget :) The IMX323 sensors are good in low-light but do somewhat limit daytime vid quality compared to newer cams and those with better sensors, but likely good enough for most folks.

TBH I think remote systems are going to be taking over the multi-channel dashcam market, just too many advantages compared to trying to fit something in a modern car with sensors and their housings on and around windshields and mirrors.

Phil

Will need to do some further research on K2S; never was familiar with that dash cam as I was only looking at Koreans (Blackvue and Thinkware) and Viofo.

now the target of course must be the K2S PRO if you look that direction, it have better sensors all around.

Mine are still going strong, aside for the startup / handover issue ( using the OBD adapter )
But some times when i get back to the parked car, instead of change to regular recording it just turn off, i think they made some changes to the hardware, some IC that wasent quite good enough.

Can't really find a place to that sells the K2S Pro..

Only I could find on eBay is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174058592788Seems like it's the K2S (regular; not pro).

Any other options? Thinkware is having a say on the X700 for $200 + $30 OBD adapter from Blackboxmycar, but video quality seems so-so I think. Hoping to buy one soon, as I've been driving the car lately and want to have evidence in case of anything happens.

Back