Suggestion open?

K-A

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian SG9663DCPRO
Me again,

Does the manufacturer accept any suggestions? I've gotten my setup working, but had a couple of ideas.

Thank you.

There are a few existing feature request threads already, but they are a few pages back now. The factory is always open to feedback.

Here are mine so far:

1. Is it possible to have the screen on the front unit be able to display useful data? I especially request the current speed; it seems much safer to not have to look at the instrument panel for this, and analog speedometers aren't the most precise.

2. Can the window attachment brackets have the universal "this end up" symbols printed/molded on them somewhere? I know it is stupid, but I accidentally put my rear window one backwards because I had to lean over/around to attach it.

3. (this is maybe for later on models) I have to use my thumb and 3rd finger to "pinch" the unit so my index finger is steady enough to press the right button. It is easy for my 3rd finger to slip and streak the lens. Would it be possible to put a little lip on the sides to catch people's fingers? This may be a problem for so few people to be not worth it.

These are clearly minor matters and I am impressed by the product. Also, whoever picked the defaults did a very surprizing job. Time zone, frequency and other objective things were all set correctly already. I don't think even Microsoft and Apple are that with it.

I like the option to display speed on the LCD too, but we spoke about it before and i would have to agree many will not be able to read it as the direct view might be blocked by mirror, also when installed on regular cars the LCD are on a angle that also take away from being able to read at least small stuff.
And i cant recall if the hardware are even able to do a "pause" screen like that.

SG are selling 2 nifty little INFO displays, one GPS only the other OBD with additional info from there. https://streetguardian.info/digital-speed-displays
OBD one will of course have the same speed inaccuracy as your car speedo, not sure you can tweak it to display a more accurate speed, personally i would go for the GPS version.

1. Is it possible to have the screen on the front unit be able to display useful data? I especially request the current speed; it seems much safer to not have to look at the instrument panel for this, and analog speedometers aren't the most precise.
it's technically possible to have something on the display, it generally doesn't work well for this type of design due to viewing angle, as mentioned in a lot of cases the display can't be seen when installed so probably wouldn't work too well for a lot of people

2. Can the window attachment brackets have the universal "this end up" symbols printed/molded on them somewhere? I know it is stupid, but I accidentally put my rear window one backwards because I had to lean over/around to attach it.

would need to change the tooling to have it molded in, printed would be easier, in the case of the rear cam though it can be installed in either direction (there's an invert option in the menu) so maybe not so practical

These are clearly minor matters and I am impressed by the product. Also, whoever picked the defaults did a very surprizing job. Time zone, frequency and other objective things were all set correctly already. I don't think even Microsoft and Apple are that with it.

most settings are the defaults, just timezone and frequency would have been setup for you, that would be something that @Street Guardian USA has done before shipping

SG are selling 2 nifty little INFO displays, one GPS only the other OBD with additional info from there. https://streetguardian.info/digital-speed-displays
OBD one will of course have the same speed inaccuracy as your car speedo, not sure you can tweak it to display a more accurate speed, personally i would go for the GPS version.

the displays have a manual trim option so they can be setup to read accurately, it's not uncommon for the OBD one to need about 7% offset to correct them

Okay cool (y) in that case i would go for the OBD model for the increased geek-ness alone. :)

For the display on the screen of speed, I was thinking of an option rather that could be enabled if useful. I don't know how much that would take up in the firmware and what capacity the device has for that. I will see if I can use the invert option tomorrow. Thanks.

I have thrown a lot of things at SG and anyone else willing to listen, a few things i think have stuck and a lot of ideas have been shot down for some reason.

My own most nerdy wish are still the ability to have the camera warn if one of XXX plates entered into the camera are behind / in front of me, just to aid my inherent ability to spot undercover cop cars i have had since i was young and a parasite on Danish society.
I don't really have a need for a feature like that, but it would satisfy my inner geek if it was there.

My own most nerdy wish are still the ability to have the camera warn if one of XXX plates entered into the camera are behind / in front of me, just to aid my inherent ability to spot undercover cop cars i have had since i was young and a parasite on Danish society.
I don't really have a need for a feature like that, but it would satisfy my inner geek if it was there.

guess it would be doable at some stage, proof of concept here

in re 2, I realized when reapplying it that the back window bracket has very lightly sloped sides, so if you put that in the installation manual, it would reduce/obviate the need for putting arrows on the plastic itself.

Here is a suggestion, can you have the microphone button beep twice for on, once for off? I have mine mounted behind the rear view mirror so it's hard to look at the screen. Unless maybe this was already added to a firmware update? I stole this idea from my old Panorama II, if that matters.

I mean change it when you actually push the button. Aural feedback I guess.

Back