Suggestions for Brand New User?

isd503

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I purchased a BlackVue DR900S-2CH and installed it today into a 2020 Mercedes-Benz E-450. I updated it to the latest firmware. I have not had any issues connecting to it using the BlackVue Cloud (iOS) v2.98 software and WiFi. After getting both cameras mounted and working, I completed a few test drives during the day and into the evening. I noticed a few things and am looking for any suggestions to help resolve these issues:

1. The camera does not switch between normal and parking mode very quickly. Right now, I am just plugging both cameras into the cigarette lighter outlet in the car. I will ask the dealer to install the BlackVue Power Magic Pro next week. Maybe this will resolve that issue? I am just surprised at how slowly it detects a vehicle being parked and then moving again.

2. I am getting a lot of reflection from the inside of the car onto the windows (front and back) which the camera is certainly recording. Any way to tamp that down a little bit to gain a better picture quality?

3. I purchased a 64GB BlackVue SD card with the cameras. I want to use a 256GB Lexar 633x A1 U3 XC1 V30 card to extend the recording time before entries start being overwritten. Any problems with this? The camera would not format the car, I had to do it from my laptop using the BlackVue Viewer (Mac) software.

4. The video I am getting does not look as wide as some of the video I have seen on the Internet.

I left the default settings and have not changed anything.

Attachments

• Rear.jpeg
    Rear.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Front.jpeg
    Front.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 29
1. The camera does not switch between normal and parking mode very quickly.

You have to understand what triggers parking mode. As I understand.. (and stand to be corrected) it keeps recording "normal" until it detects that there is no movement of the car.. as in all the sensors are reading zero for a period of time. Same issue when it converts to normal from park... only when the sensors start recording bumps etc will it switch.

1. I agree. It takes about 4-5 minutes which is ok. I have mine set to record continuously. After all, I generally only keep 10% of parking mode recordings.
2. You need a CPL Filter. I got the same too. You can Google Search for CPL Filter for Blackvue 900. Two main results you should see is a supplier from France which Blackvue officially recommends. The other is from America which you'll have to manually adjust by rotating the CPL screw ring. Note with these CPL filters they will degrade the video quality a little bit. On a sunny day, the blue sky appears greenish yellowy blue sometimes. But it will reduce the amount of reflection. The CPL filter will also make your footage a bit more darker in low light. The front camera doesn't really perform well in overcast conditions but it does a fair job.
3. I recommend the Samsung Pro Endurance. I have the 128GB version which goes for NZ$100 which is a fair price compared to Sandisk equivalents. Sandisk tends to get a lot of bad reviews from reviewers which is why I stay away from them. Samsung sells the Pro Endurance in 64GB and 128GB. A 128GB one will provide 7 hours recording time storage on max recording settings (F) 4k30 (R) 1080p30. Although I will consider getting another 128GB card just as a backup or for long road trips during summer.
4. Looks fine. You must have a big vehicle instead of a subcompact like a Toyota Prius C/Aqua. Some cars also have a lower pitched windshield where as other cars may have more straight up and down windscreen. These factors may give the illusion that the camera is not recording at a wider angle.

I have the Blackvue B-124 battery which can recharge fully via cigarette port connection in only like 45 minutes. And when fully charged can provide enough power to record up to 24 hours. Note the Blackvue dash cam will only use the Blackvue battery when in Parking Mode only.

It's a great investment, a bit expensive. The 2-CH dash cam and battery cost me NZ$1,000 from their official NZ Distributor. NZ Tax rate is 15%. When I review the footage, I come across some funny, cute, or silly footage. Great for YouTube, or to share with your insurance claim, to police or even in court as recordings have a neat simple time stamp in the black thin bar at bottom of your screen. I've had this dash cam since October last year.

1. Blackvue will need to detect no movement for 4-5 minutes then it will enter parking mode.
2. You'll need to get CPL filters. Another alternative is to use a black cloth mat on your dash. This can also reduce the dashboard shine that gets reflected on the windscreen.
3. Lexar 256GB 633x has a write speed of 45MB/s write. I think a 256GB Samsung Evo Plus would be better as the write speed is 90MB/s.
4. Looks fine to me. The front cam maybe can lower the angle a bit so you can see a bit of the hood.

Get the cheapest CPL you can find. I have a Nextbase one fitted to a modified Blackvue lens cap. All for £12 when I bought the filter.
3. I recommend the Samsung Pro Endurance. I have the 128GB version which goes for NZ$100 which is a fair price compared to Sandisk equivalents.
I believe that although Samsung sells the Pro Endurance the warranty is now void if they are used in dashcams. Read the small print carefully if you want a card fully guaranteed.
I have the Blackvue B-124 battery which can recharge fully via cigarette port connection in only like 45 minutes. And when fully charged can provide enough power to record up to 24 hours.
Not quite true, See the spec HERE which says 80mins from ciggy connector and 24 hours for a single channel camera.

Last edited:
... I believe that although Samsung sells the Pro Endurance the warranty is now void if they are used in dashcams. Read the small print carefully if you want a card fully guaranteed. ...

Hold on .. what?

This card is specifically designed and marketed by Samsung to operate in dashcams and continual video recording applications. This is exactly it's intended usage scenario. Where did you find out the warranty does not apply to dashcam usage?
If this is true that how can they say for use in dashcams? I hope this is not the case.

Samsung Website: MicroSDXC PRO Endurance Memory Card said:
Get maximum endurance for surveillance & security cams, dash cams, and body cams. In the critical seconds of an accident or emergency situation, a trustworthy card is essential. The PRO Endurance is the reliable choice for crucial moments and prolonged write-intensive applications.

Last edited:
Hold on .. what?

This card is specifically designed and marketed by Samsung to operate in dashcams and continual video recording applications. This is exactly it's intended usage scenario. Where did you find out the warranty does not apply to dashcam usage?
If this is true that how can they say for use in dashcams? I hope this is not the case.

Samsung should honor the warranty, as you're correct in that they state the Pro Endurance is for dash cam usage.

They'd know if they find dash cam footage on a write-protected card, which is what happens to a card +95% of the time when it goes bad.

My bad. Looking at wrong card. Sorry for confusion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 9
Back