Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have front and rear dashcams (a 2-channel set), but as my primary need is for parking mode, I now want to be sure I capture events on the sides of my car as well. I don't want another set of the 2-channel dashcams I already have bc it discriminates between front and read cams (for example, front video is better than rear video). I want something where both side will be "equals". Besides good parking mode support, clear nighttime recording is my only other major requirement. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Since side protection almost never needs number plates or other details at a distance, I am happy with 1080p cams there. And wanting good low-light performance cheap, the IMX323 sensor is good for this job in a decent cam. There is better if you want it, but up close the IMX323 with a good lens can identify faces day or night with just a little bit of light and that's all I need. Better to put the money you save here into your front and rear cams where you need the best images as far away as you can get them.

Phil

You could always have 2 x 2 channel cameras, but have 1 set do front and left, the other set do rear and right... This is what I do, it means the rear cams are on the sides, the front cams are front and rear.

Another thing I did for about 6 months was run 2 x Blueskysea B1W on the sides using the BETA low-bit rate firmware that was posted on these forums. They were very reliable and good for parking mode, I only sold them because they interferred with my GPS in the car

Also take a look at the side view dashcam thread, it's on the forums somewhere.

You could always have 2 x 2 channel cameras, but have 1 set do front and left, the other set do rear and right... This is what I do, it means the rear cams are on the sides, the front cams are front and rear.

Another thing I did for about 6 months was run 2 x Blueskysea B1W on the sides using the BETA low-bit rate firmware that was posted on these forums. They were very reliable and good for parking mode, I only sold them because they interferred with my GPS in the car

Also take a look at the side view dashcam thread, it's on the forums somewhere.
That's an interesting concept. Thanks!! In that scenario, how do you deal with getting the set #2 hires cam all the way to the rear given that cables intended for the front cams are almost always considerably shorter than those intended for the rear cams? (the front cam cable is definitely shorter than the rear cam cable in my kit )

Last edited:
Any ideas how to mount side cameras if you do not have fixed side windows in your car? Thanks.

Then it get rather problematic.
Mounting off the headliner ( which i have done with single cameras ) well that is no good if your curtain airbag deploy.
My best brains storm is to mount off the door plastics where it approach the window, but as it is rarely flat there, you probably need to devise some mount or adapter.
The + is down there is about as far as a curtain airbag reach, but then again it is within reach of kids if you have those and they like to meddle with things.

dør.jpg

Either way you will have to DIY something for sure as there are no ready to install side systems.

I had a pair of B1W cameras for recording the side views. Then I replaced them with a Viofo A129, which has 1080p IMX291 both front and rear for good night vision, and a low bitrate parking mode.

Side cams in most cars will require some ingenuity and DIY with mounting. I cannot envision any way to make a suitable mount that would work well across a wide range of cars that would still be solid and aesthetically pleasing. Side cams are not easy to do well, and they don't "blend in" like front and rear cams do where factory sensors and 3rd brake lights are expected to be seen. The B1W's sleek rounded appearance makes it look more like something factory installed, and the mounting scheme is such that it's DIY friendly for side mounting. But currently it has issues :(

What I'd really like to see is the B1W updated with the IMX291 which is currently one of the best low-light sensors and it does well daytime too. For most people that would make an ideal side-cam IMHO :cool: My old 'bus' is far different than nearly anything else, and side-cam mounting on the metal surrounding the doors and windows is a breeze with many alternatives.

You do need to pay heed to airbags in wiring and mounting side-cams, as well as places where cables may over-flex, get pinched, or get pulled out, but otherwise it's just another dashcam, only in a less-than-common location ;)

Phil

Any ideas how to mount side cameras if you do not have fixed side windows in your car? Thanks.
For your next vehicle, you could plan on getting one with fixed side windows, like many SUVs. So, it's a matter of priorities because, of course, if the side cams are more important to you than the type of car, then you could get a car with fixed side windows right away and viola! problem solved.

Last edited:
For your next vehicle, you could plan on getting one with fixed side windows, like many SUVs. So, it's a matter of priorities because, of course, if the side cams are more important to you than the type of car, then you could get a car with fixed side windows right away and viola! problem solved.
I replaced the ceiling grab bars with a piece of wood which gave me many options for mounting the cameras.

Attachments

• side cam mounts (1).JPG
    side cam mounts (1).JPG
    205 KB · Views: 8
  • side cam mounts (2).JPG
    side cam mounts (2).JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 8
Back