Suitability of Xiaomi 20000mAh Mi Power Bank

Steve_Parry

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Many over 10 years. Currently 1 x SG9663DCPRO, 1 x SG9663DR
Morning everyone.
I'm looking at replacing my PowerMagic with a Power Bank. This will be used to supply my SG9665GC, and possibly a rear camera as well (wiring might be a challenge!). Elsewhere the Xiaomi 20000mAh was recommended (although I can't find that thread now).

My questions are:
  1. Can the power bank be charged AND supply the camera simultaneously (ie ignition on and camera running at same time)? (My current phone power bank can only do one or the other.)
  2. Does it automatically deliver the 5.1 V required for the SG9665C (spec says 20000mAh @ 3.6V; 12700mAh @ 5.1V but doesn't describe auto-sensing of the required voltage of the connected device)?
  3. What is the maximum output current per port? (spec says both 2.1A and 3.6A - which is it?)
  4. Any heat or fire risk issues with running it in this configuration?
  5. Spec indicates it can take 12V 1.5A charging - is this through the mini-USB port?

And a side question - I have another accessory that needs max 12V 1.1A. This cranks up to 2.5A at 5.1V (plus converter margin). Can I use a 5V USB>12V converter for this or am I asking too much of the USB port (and this power bank)?

And I guess a catch all - any other recommendations for a car power bank?

TIA!
Cheers
...Steve

it won't do charge and power at the same time, they are actually quite dangerous when used like this

1) Not sure if it supports pass through charging but the older models did. Its debated whether its safe or not in concern for lithium battery safety.
2) The USB ports only output 5.1v. The 20,000mAh @ 3.6v rating is only to calculate the cells watt hours for aviation rules.
3) Individual ports can output 2.1A but if both are used simultaneously it will top out at 3.6A instead of 4.2A
4) Safe to power the cam
5) Yes it supports quick charge input.

6) The powerbank cant output the max supply needed. The device might still power on but not ideal for many reasons.

i have been running my 7" tablet every night for the past 2 years, charging and running on my bedside table running the footage from my home CCTV cameras.

Works fine and i have not noticed any bad performance of the tablet on battery alone.

I was thinking the damn thing was dying on me a few weeks ago, but it turned out that me not letting a lot of apps i dont use update was what drained the power pretty fast.
After those BS apps was updated battery performance of tablet was back to normal.

But this is a tablet, maybe its different for USB power banks.

But this is a tablet, maybe its different for USB power banks.

very different, the tablet will cycle the charging on and off to not try and use and charge at the same time, for the powerbank it will not do this and can be dangerous in some situations

yes thats my feeling too, always argued against using and charging power banks, they should only be used normally to charge/power the camera once in a while if you dont use parking guard normally, they are not a UPS for a permanent setup.

It comes down to how the TI chipset is configured to manage the power.

Nothing wrong with charging and powering a device the same time. Thats how car batteries/alternators work and solar power banks, its all regulated.

When im camping i hook up my Anker portable solar charger to my xiaomi powerbank and then charge my phone. That said, i wouldnt do the same to my car due to cabin heat and possible fire hazard.

Another example is my 12v fridge. I use a 120w solar panel and an AGM battery to power it.

Last edited:
hello, so does this one (xiaomi 20000) support fast charging itself and powering the cam at the same time?
or any similarly priced bank, which does?
thanks

hello, so does this one (xiaomi 20000) support fast charging itself and powering the cam at the same time

You can't or should not be able to do both at the same time at the moment with todays technology.............. Charging takes priority which is fair enough so be patient.

EDIT------ I just received this bad boy to see how it goes............... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172821333344

Back