Sunny and Hot - Wat do? - Alternatives for Viofo VF960/G900?

BullHorn

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I've watched at least 15 different videos from Techmoan and there was only 1 camera that wasn't too expensive and had the ability to work in heat as well as take good looking videos while driving towards the sun - The Viofo G900 / VF960.

Unforunately, it looks like these models are no longer available for purchase anywhere...

Which models are similar - have the ability to work in very hot countries as well as good recording when driving towards the sun without getting too much glare or turning the entire scene too dark.

Thanks!

I wouldn't limit yourself to Techmoan reviews alone. You were wise to come to the forums here. :)
You'll want a product that has a super capacitor rather than a battery for high heat climits.
You'll want a product with a good sensor that's been turned up properly via firmware.

Capacitor, a good sensor and the ability to modify the firmware.

Any suggestions what I should look at? I'd say the budget is up to $150 but I won't say no to a $50-100 model if it does what I'm looking for specifically. :p

Unforunately, it looks like these models are no longer available for purchase anywhere...

that's a hint really that what might have been ok at the time it was a review based on what was available at that stage, the technology has been surpassed

something you don't really find out with Techmoan reviews (and it's something he does always mention) is how long a product might last or how it serves for the longer term, that model wasn't a great product and isn't around anymore for good reason

Understood.

Is anyone going to name a few alternatives or am I out of luck? :x

for hot temps you'll want something that uses a capacitor instead of a battery, you'll also want something with a decent lens as a lot of them suffer focus shift at temperature extremes, you budget will limit things a bit, ordinarily I'd say Mobius at the cheaper end although their current lens base has some reports of focus shift issues, if that's sorted would be worthwhile, Panorama S would be a contender but over your budget, not really sure what else

I think I'm starting to understand. All those good looking and highly-rated but cheap dash cameras are usually designed with cheap parts in mind and failure at high temperatures is imminent.

What if I had raised my budget to $200? or $250? Would I then be able to purchase a camera that fits my requirements + Durability/Longevity?

Thanks again guys!

I think I'm starting to understand. All those good looking and highly-rated but cheap dash cameras are usually designed with cheap parts in mind and failure at high temperatures is imminent.

What if I had raised my budget to $200? or $250? Would I then be able to purchase a camera that fits my requirements + Durability/Longevity?

Thanks again guys!

Any of our current line-up of products would fit your requirements. (see my signature, if you're not viewing via mobile)

Looking at recordings and comparisons, even though it might excel in the heat, the video quality on some samples looks worse than what I've seen some under-$100 dashcams are recording... I'll have to search a bit more...

-EDIT: Perhaps there's some video examples hosted elsewhere? YouTube is known for ruining video quality...

Last edited:
I ended up purchasing the Panorama S from eBay (free shipping to Israel!).

An issue arised: My car only has one 12V port which I usually use to charge my phone. Is there a 12V connector that's compatible with the Panorama S but also have a 5V 2A USB port?

Thanks, looks perfect! And luckily I have a friend in the States right now that can pick it up for me. Cheers, everyone. :)

I remember seeing specs of the Panorama S rated for up to 95 degrees Celsius but now I notice on the purchase page that it is only rated to 75 degrees Celsius.

Should I be worried? I can still cancel the order, I believe...

I remember seeing specs of the Panorama S rated for up to 95 degrees Celsius but now I notice on the purchase page that it is only rated to 75 degrees Celsius.

Should I be worried? I can still cancel the order, I believe...

"Premium High Heat Resistant Capacitor for Parking Mode Operation Up to 90C/194F"

Heat wise it should be fine, the Korean version is lower bitrate though from memory, still OK, just different

Back