Sunscreen on windshield

Airborne

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129
I keep.a sun reflector on my windshield when parked. Is this going to mess with the camera once mounted? It is the inside type and is aluminum reflecting. It keeps my cab 10-15 decrees cooler when it is in place. Will the camera take a beating if this reflector is used

There is a high chance dashcam body may deform (melt) in some areas even if you don't use it to record while parked.

When the dash cam is between the windshield glass and the sun reflector it is as if it is baking in a solar oven as the reflector traps the heat that would otherwise be heating up your truck's cabin.

Can I cut a clearance for it?. I guess not since the entire cover acts as a solar sheet

I use the 2 oval type sunshield. They're black on one side and silver on the other and put the black side facing out. With them being circular they don't fully cover the windshield in the corners like a rectangular one does, so it probably doesn't trap as much heat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe I should flip mine, I have the black on the other side
We signed up to the forum the same day

Last edited:
Black absorbs heat (because it absorbs light). Silver reflects heat (and light). The idea of using a sun "reflector" is to keep as much solar energy out of your vehicle as possible, not invite it in.

https://sciencing.com/colors-absorb-heat-8456008.html

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-black-objects-absorb-more-heat-energy-than-white-or-colored-objects
Silver works better, but the dark side still keeps the interior cooler. Any color blocking the windshield is better than nothing. Keeping the hot sun from heating up the dash and front seats is the major thing.

I have a large black SUV with black interior and all the windows except the windshield are dark tinted. Surprisingly, it doesn't get as hot as you'd think inside

Silver works better, but the dark side still keeps the interior cooler. Any color blocking the windshield is better than nothing. Keeping the hot sun from heating up the dash and front seats is the major thing.

I have a large black SUV with black interior and all the windows except the windshield are dark tinted. Surprisingly, it doesn't get as hot as you'd think inside

These reflectors are opaque, so they won't let any light through regardless of the color. Black absorbs heat so your "reflector" will get unnecessarily hot if you put the black side out and you don't want that. It's a simple law of physics. People generally use the reflector's black side facing out to help keep the car interior warmer during wintertime.

As for your black SUV it sounds like it has the newer IR blocking glass that comes on many vehicles these days and that is why your vehicle doesn't get as hot as the same vehicle without such glass.

https://www.safelite.com/windshield-auto-glass-technology/infrared-windshield-glass

Last edited:
Agree, already said silver would be better but bottom line is any color blocking the windshield is better than nothing.

Are patio umbrellas only white or silver? No matter what color, they block the sun and keep you in the shade and cooler

Last edited:
Ok, whether my glass is IR or not, if I put the black side of my sunshield out the car will still be cooler than without it up at all, duh

It's because the reflector is opaque and so yes it is blocking sunlight from entering your car but black is counterproductive to your ultimate purpose because it is absorbing heat instead of reflecting it thus making the glass of your windshield that much hotter so why use that side in the first place? Put a thermometer probe behind your black reflector and then do the same with the silver side and see the difference. It will be dramatic. Magical thinking doesn't get one too far, especially if one chooses to ignore the laws of physics. Duh! :rolleyes:

But do what makes you happy though. :)

Yeah, I will keep using the black side out so it doesn't reflect the heat up onto my dashcam

I have taken temps of the interior with black side out, silver side out, and no shade up.

Silver side out is cooler than black side out, which I've already said twice in previous posts above, but who cares about reading comprehension around here...lol
Black side out was cooler than no sunshade.

With the sunshade up, either side out, the sunshade itself gets hot. Does it get hotter with black side out vs silver? Yes, but not that much difference that I've noticed. I can still grab it with my hands and fold it up.
With no sunshade, the entire dash gets hot, along with anything else that's in direct sunlight like steering wheel, front seats, center console (maybe?) All these interior parts will keep emanating heat even after you get in and turn on the AC, plus will be uncomfortable to touch or sit on.
With a sunshade with ANY COLOR OUT, it keeps all these interior parts from absorbing the heat and getting hot. When you get in they are not hot to touch or sit on.

Keep as much of the interior out of direct sunlight, or "in the shade"
Don't need physics, just common sense

Yeah, I will keep using the black side out so it doesn't reflect the heat up onto my dashcam

I have taken temps of the interior with black side out, silver side out, and no shade up.

Silver side out is cooler than black side out, which I've already said twice in previous posts above, but who cares about reading comprehension around here...lol

With the sunshade up, either side out, the sunshade itself gets hot. Does it get hotter with black side out vs silver? Yes, but not that much difference that I've noticed. I can still grab it with my hands and fold it up.
With no sunshade, the entire dash gets hot, along with anything else that's in direct sunlight like steering wheel, front seats, center console (maybe?) All these interior parts will keep emanating heat even after you get in and turn on the AC, plus will be uncomfortable to touch or sit on.
With a sunshade with ANY COLOR OUT, it keeps all these interior parts from absorbing the heat and getting hot. When you get in they are not hot to touch or sit on.

This is getting silly at this point. It's starting to feel downright Dunning-Krugeresque. I'll chose physics and logic over magical thinking every time, but like I said, do what makes you happy. ;)

My subject was, should I trim the shade away from the camera? If I did not want it where I park I can always bring the camera in.
Also no getting around the hard wire kit. My cigarette plug is only hot when the truck is on. I have the hard wire kit, I just need my accessory situation addressed. I do not want to double tap my fuse panel in the cab, so Dashcam project is on hold.

My subject was, should I trim the shade away from the camera? If I did not want it where I park I can always bring the camera in.
Also no getting around the hard wire kit. My cigarette plug is only hot when the truck is on. I have the hard wire kit, I just need my accessory situation addressed. I do not want to double tap my fuse panel in the cab, so Dashcam project is on hold.

I drive a pick-up truck with multiple cameras that I often leave running while parked using two power banks. On extremely hot and sunny days I won't run the cameras at all while parked but most of the time I do and have been doing so for years now with few if any issues.

Sometimes, if I want to run the cameras and am concerned that my midnight blue Tacoma might be getting too hot inside especially on brutal summer days, I'll crack the windows a few inches, but not so much that anyone could fit their hand or arm inside the cab. I also sometimes open or partially open the rear slider window in the back of the cab. It helps that I live in a relatively low crime area but it's not like we don't experience criminal behavior, especially with the opioid crisis these days. Nobody has ever messed with my vehicle and the cameras would capture them if did and someone would have to smash a window in broad daylight to gain entry which I believe is unlikely in my neck of the woods. I do take into consideration how long I need to leave the vehicle parked unattended. On a hot day I might leave the cameras running for a few hours but I probably wouldn't leave them running for an entire day sitting in the hot sun.

I think it is best not to use a sun reflector if you want to run dash cams in parking mode, even if you cut a hole in it. This is a topic that has come up quite a number of times on this forum and the consensus agrees with me that it's not a good idea to mix dash cams and sun reflectors as it is likely asking for trouble really.

I think dashmellow is saying that the black side out heats up the dash cam more than if you were using silver side out, which is the opposite of what you were trying to achieve (thinking black side out keeps the dash cam cooler)

He’s not opposing your observation that it keeps surface temps of the dash/front seats/etc cooler

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. Just stating what I am reading here

I think dashmellow is saying that the black side out heats up the dash cam more than if you were using silver side out, which is the opposite of what you were trying to achieve (thinking black side out keeps the dash cam cooler)

He’s not opposing your observation that it keeps surface temps of the dash/front seats/etc cooler

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. Just stating what I am reading here

Black absorbs light and heat. Silver or white reflect it. That's all anyone needs to know. :)

So reflecting the heat and sun's rays back towards the camera will keep the camera cooler than absorbing the heat into the sunshade?

Back