Sunscreen on windshield

Cool!

One of them is apparently designed to be secured by closing the car doors over it. Less chance of it not being there when you come back to your car it seems.

sunshield.jpg

Not to beat a dead horse but interestingly they demonstrate the black side out to retain heat and the silver side out to reflect it.

sunshield2.jpg

And I guess you could cut a hole in one of these and run your camera while parked. May be the sought after solution?

Price seems very reasonable too!

they used to be popular here, don't see them as much anymore, I think people get tired of putting them on and off and they end up getting dirty

What year Tacoma do you have ? I bought a 2019 and it has that radar equipment above the mirror. There is enough room to mount my camera on the lower part of this. It is a nice piece of smooth plastic so it should stick well there . Since I am used to this equipment already, adding the camera there should not be a distraction
I've done the same on my 2018 Ford Focus.That sensor box is the perfect spot and you can't see the camera from outside (y)

Attachments

• 20190616_221146.jpg
    20190616_221146.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190616_221210-1.jpg
    20190616_221210-1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190623_194529.jpg
    20190623_194529.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 34
Excellent, I will mount mine tomorrow there also

@Airborne have you installed the camera?Pictures :cool: I'm curious how it looks on the sensor box in your car (y)

My neighbor told me growing up they'd go to the junk yard and find a car with a current sticker, fix it up enough to be driveable and then drive it until that sticker expired. Rinse and repeat. Granted he's almost 70 so times have definitely changed. No inspections here thankfully and at the same time unfortunately. I'm always worried those outside shades will rip, tear, get dirty, and/or screw up the paint. It's not uncommon to see 50+ mph wind gusts in normal storms here.

My neighbor told me growing up they'd go to the junk yard and find a car with a current sticker, fix it up enough to be driveable and then drive it until that sticker expired. Rinse and repeat. Granted he's almost 70 so times have definitely changed. No inspections here thankfully and at the same time unfortunately. I'm always worried those outside shades will rip, tear, get dirty, and/or screw up the paint. It's not uncommon to see 50+ mph wind gusts in normal storms here.
Here is where?. You have earth for location? I have a beater Caviler It will not pass inspection account of the rust on the frame. I was going to junk it but it rides and drives good, my bro in law wants it so I am gifting the car to him. He is severely disabled. I feel bad for him. Here in Pa. the state sprays this salt brine on the road and it rusts everything underneath. Then the state tells you you cannot have rust on your car. I am getting around to the inspection, he knows a guy who will pass the car so it all works out. I worry. About my new truck with all this salt crap. Thinking of getting it treated, they use “fluid film” it is called. Now here is another scenario,Toyota says it will void the warranty if I get mine sprayed. They said it gets in the seals,etc. I think this is B.S. but this was what they told me. That is why I am curious where you live. Never heard of no car inspections here in the states

Thinking of getting it treated, they use “fluid film” it is called. Now here is another scenario,Toyota says it will void the warranty if I get mine sprayed. They said it gets in the seals,etc. I think this is B.S. but this was what they told me.

It is B.S!

Fluid film has been in use for over 60 years going back to when the U.S. Navy started using it to prevent rust on ship's ballast tanks. It is made from Lanolin, which is a wax secreted by the sebaceous glands of sheep. It is non-toxic and has been widely used in such things as cosmetics, hair cream and lip balm for many decades. When you apply Fluid Film to your vehicle it ends up smelling like an old fashioned barber shop or a natural wool sweater. It is NOT a solvent.

Here in Vermont we get a lot of snow and ice and so the road crews use granular salt on the roads when it is icy and they also apply liquid chloride to the dirt roads after they grade them during the summer months to keep the dust down. People have been undercoating their vehicles for rust protection for as long as I can remember.

In the old days everyone applied used motor oil as an undercoating. Then there was a switch to new hydraulic oil because it was felt to be less toxic. Nowadays, everyone uses Fluid Film

After Toyota replaced the rotted out frame on my Tacoma I had Fluid Film applied. I mentioned this to the service manager where I bought my Toyota and he told me he uses Fluid Film on all of his family's vehicles including his personal Tacoma. One would think if the service manager at a major Toyota dealership uses Fluid Film it ought to be OK to use without voiding any warranties.

About Fluid Film (check out who uses this stuff)

Lanolin

Last edited:
Never heard of no car inspections here in the states

None here in SC USA, but fines for unsafe items can be stiff. We used to have annual safety inspections which were done at service stations and garages which stopped over 20 years ago. Garages and service stations were doing them under state license for a fixed price which really didn't pay for the inspectors time if they did the job properly. Everyone knew where to 'buy a sticker' and many, many inspectors did that so the whole system was a scam and finally got closed down.

An oddity here was that you couldn't fail a car for bad ball joints because they couldn't decide if they were a steering part or a suspension part. All the other parts of the steering and suspension systems required inspection so I never understood the problem, but it was in the training manual and on the Inspectors test.

Phil

@Airborne have you installed the camera?Pictures :cool: I'm curious how it looks on the sensor box in your car (y)
I have the rear camera just hanging for the time being, Hope this is what you wanted to see. The camera is mounted as high as possible. There are slots in the radar device that I did not want to cover. I assume they are vents but not sure. I am happy the way it is all coming together so far. The rear camera cable is thick but I was able to push it into the edge of my liner. I also used rubber seals to hide it. With a little sweat it all disappeared. I will make my taps for the hard wire kit. I have to go back into Tacoma World forum and see what fuses they used. I bought those add a fuse devices. If the good lord gives me a healthy day I will take care of this tomorrow. I cut out a big slot in my sun screen as you see in the pictures

Attachments

• 1842910E-F8CA-489A-B6EB-A7D742A9A164.jpeg
    1842910E-F8CA-489A-B6EB-A7D742A9A164.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 09DDFB54-F8DB-4BA0-B0DC-2A3175969274.jpeg
    09DDFB54-F8DB-4BA0-B0DC-2A3175969274.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 89498D7F-258B-4348-9D42-2746FDE0C4F1.jpeg
    89498D7F-258B-4348-9D42-2746FDE0C4F1.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 21
Lowes sells 12oz spray cans of Fluid Film. I keep a can or two in the garage to use on various things.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have to watch a you tube video on where to spray it underneath

Here is where?. You have earth for location? I have a beater Caviler It will not pass inspection account of the rust on the frame. I was going to junk it but it rides and drives good, my bro in law wants it so I am gifting the car to him. He is severely disabled. I feel bad for him. Here in Pa. the state sprays this salt brine on the road and it rusts everything underneath. Then the state tells you you cannot have rust on your car. I am getting around to the inspection, he knows a guy who will pass the car so it all works out. I worry. About my new truck with all this salt crap. Thinking of getting it treated, they use “fluid film” it is called. Now here is another scenario,Toyota says it will void the warranty if I get mine sprayed. They said it gets in the seals,etc. I think this is B.S. but this was what they told me. That is why I am curious where you live. Never heard of no car inspections here in the states

There are a few states that don't do inspections, Wiki says 12 with no inspections of any kind. Florida (where I live) apparently used to have them years ago but I'm only going off what I was told. Fluid film has been used for decades, not needed down here. Maybe people who used to drive on the beaches used it? In FL your paint is more likely to get screwed by the sun than your frame rusting, then again vehicles have surface rust on them before they even get to the dealer's lots.

Has anyone cut the hard wire cable for the A129? I would like to cut it, fish it through a opening and then re splice it. I figure I ask here first, maybe someone did it

I have the rear camera just hanging for the time being, Hope this is what you wanted to see. The camera is mounted as high as possible. There are slots in the radar device that I did not want to cover. I assume they are vents but not sure. I am happy the way it is all coming together so far. The rear camera cable is thick but I was able to push it into the edge of my liner. I also used rubber seals to hide it. With a little sweat it all disappeared. I will make my taps for the hard wire kit. I have to go back into Tacoma World forum and see what fuses they used. I bought those add a fuse devices. If the good lord gives me a healthy day I will take care of this tomorrow. I cut out a big slot in my sun screen as you see in the pictures
Good Job! (y)

Well even when I cut my reflective sun screen away from the camera, the reflection interferes with the footage. So if I want to use parking mode, sun screen needs to be removed. Just thought I would mention this for others using a sunscreen on windshield.

Or use the other side that's not so reflective

Or use the other side that's not so reflective

I will try this, but for now while I have my truck parked at home I just have the camera off. Maybe a bear would try to climb on top of it, but living in the boonies has benefits.

Back