Supplier of good quality USB cables and connectors - any recommendations?

richcam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2x0801, 0806 (broken), Mobius 1, Mobius 2, Auto-Vox B60
Just wondering if anyone on here can recommend a supplier of good quality USB cables and connectors for connecting the Mobius for powering the unit, so will have a USB on the other end.

Also, and sure I spotted a USB cable on one of the posts on here that had a 90 degree connector to the Mobius which made it look more tidy than the straight connector that most cables seem to have, though as normal, have lost track of which thread it was posted in.

I've viewed what Maplin have on offer but they don't seem to have the 90 degree end and I gather that higher quality USB cables are preferable to cheap and nasty.

As always, any help much appreciated :)

Thank you XtrailAndy, this looks nearly spot on for what I'm looking for, and I'm quite surprised that so few other cables are available in this configuration.

I've viewed the advert description which says it is 2 metre long, is this long enough to trail down from the Mobius on the windscreen to the central cigarette lighter socket, or do they sell a longer 3 metre version?

UPDATE: Have ordered it so will find out in the next few days...

Last edited:
Not sure on the 3m one, but my 2m one is long enough to run along the headlining, down the A pillar and into a cubby box in front of the steering wheel, so I think you will be OK.

Not sure on the 3m one, but my 2m one is long enough to run along the headlining, down the A pillar and into a cubby box in front of the steering wheel, so I think you will be OK.

Brilliant stuff, well I've ordered one so am somewhat committed, will let you know if it fits OK in a few days.

Just be careful on the orientation.
I had one similar cable but the mini USB plug was the other way so right angle made it go towards the windshield instead of the inside.

Just a thought, if you are letting the cable just hang down from the camera to the cig socket, then a Down Angle cable will be better, as the angle of the plug will be in a downward direction.

...2 metre long, is this long enough to trail down from the Mobius on the windscreen to the central cigarette lighter socket...

If the socket is adjacent to the gearlever, & you're routing the cable behind the headliner, 'A' pillar trim & dash trim then I think you'll need a 3 metre cable. My Mini Cooper didn't need the full 3 metres but 2 metres wouldn't have reached the socket.

Use a piece of string along the installation route to check the minimum cable length required.

Last edited:
If the socket is adjacent to the gearlever, & you're routing the cable behind the headliner, 'A' pillar trim & dash trim then I think you'll need a 3 metre cable.

Agree with the above, 2m will not be long enough if you follow the above route for the cable.

I'm lucky enough to have 3 cig lighter sockets in the X-Trail, one by the gear lever, one in a cubby behind the steering wheel and one in the boot, so a 2m cable is long enough for my needs.

Though, trying to find a 3m cable with a 90 degree bend has proved to be tricky, unless you want to buy it from China.

You could always buy a short one and then a hefty full size USB extension cable of appropriate length which should also help lessen the power drop.

That 2m StarTech cable is £2.50ish on Amazon and they have the really short one one too if you wanted to add a thick extension or maybe connect up the power supply in the headliner.

BangGood have a nice compact USB charger designed for hard wiring which could be mounted in the end of the dash and then extend the power cable to the lighter socket if you still wanted to use that supply...which is likely to be what I'm doing :)

If the socket is adjacent to the gearlever, & you're routing the cable behind the headliner, 'A' pillar trim & dash trim then I think you'll need a 3 metre cable. My Mini Cooper didn't need the full 3 metres but 2 metres wouldn't have reached the socket.

Use a piece of string along the installation route to check the minimum cable length required.

Thank you for the advice but it was too late because I had already placed the order for the 2m cable, and today it was delivered, and unfortunately it was short!!!

Have ordered a longer 3m length USB cable from eletoponline365 on ebay, but this doesn't have the 90 degree connector.

I'm quite surprised that there is no USB cable manufacturer website that allows users to select various lengths and design/orientation of the connectors, perhaps the likes of Maplin, Farnell or RS Components might consider offering this facility on their website?

You could always buy a short one and then a hefty full size USB extension cable of appropriate length which should also help lessen the power drop.

That 2m StarTech cable is £2.50ish on Amazon and they have the really short one one too if you wanted to add a thick extension or maybe connect up the power supply in the headliner.

BangGood have a nice compact USB charger designed for hard wiring which could be mounted in the end of the dash and then extend the power cable to the lighter socket if you still wanted to use that supply...which is likely to be what I'm doing :)

Apologies for not adding your reply to my previous quote which was my intention, yes you have some good ideas if a longer cable isn't available, but I would prefer to use one long length rather than adding cables if at all possible.

May well have another look at what StarTech have on offer.

Has anyone managed to source a 3mtr long version of this cable, i.e. one with a 90 degree mini USB?

Has anyone managed to source a 3mtr long version of this cable, i.e. one with a 90 degree mini USB?

Nope, can't seem to find anyone selling a 3 metre cable with the 90 degree connector for use when the Mobius is used as a dash cam, though have suggested this option in my Mobius 2015 wish list thread, so hopefully the manufacturer, or someone else might consider producing such an item. I live in hope!

I purchased a 3M cable and then just used a 90 degree adapter. Works great to power the camera but it won't work to run the setup. Not sure if the cable is bad in that respect or if it's just too long of a distance.

EDIT: Oops! Correction, I purchased this 15 foot (~5M) cable and used this right angle adapter.

Last edited:
Biggles, not sure if you will see this reply but I would appreciate a pointer towards that Banggood charger you mentioned?

Biggles, not sure if you will see this reply but I would appreciate a pointer towards that Banggood charger you mentioned?

@DucknDive if you want to tag someone in a post do it like this @biggles then they get notified next time they login

No probs, it was this one although I only paid £3 from the UK warehouse when I ordered it...

Very pleased with it but shop around as it may be cheaper from somewhere else now.

Back