Surviving the Heat

buffumjr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please pass to any designer of these things you may talk to. They will be used in Inupiaq, Alaska, and in Phoenix, Arizona. That means from -60F to +125F. At +125F, count on the inside of a parked car being +160F. In Death Valley, CA, plastic in 1980's and 1990's Pontiacs MELTS inside a parked car. If it can't survive in that range, then getting one star and a vicious flamed review is legitimate. People are going to be where they're going to be. Their gear just has to take it. Good gear will.

South Florida gets hot, but not Death Valley hot. 105F+ in August. If it survives August, it's good stuff. Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas get to 105. West Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona zoom up to 125F. What about LatAm, and South America? Hate to think about the Sonoran Desert in August! Whew!

Aftermarket GPS by Magellan and Garmin survive the heat. Your car's radio survives the heat. All the CB radios I ever owned in the 1970's and 1980's survived the heat. OnStar and Lo-Jack survive the heat. Quality equipment survives the heat.

Another thing your engineers could get from making it extreme heat resistant is bragging rights. All the others, even the high priced ones have some one-star ratings due to heat. If yours suddenly becomes the one that can "take it", the others would be abandoned, and you'd have difficulty keeping up with orders.

Besides, what's the point of having G sensors if you have to remove it from the car every time you park?

I think dashcams like that allready exist, but you will not get those for 99,99 :D

Panorama, tested to 90c

194F If true, that's really good, and should easily survive Florida in August. Does anyone have the test temp for Mobius?

Part of the problem is the battery. If the unit can do 194, but the battery dies and leaks at 140, then the whole unit dies from battery fluids. That's why I'm going with the Mobius and the capacitor. Unless :) the Mobius' top temp is 120F.

It's true

Mobiius advise not to use their cameras above 47c, components they use are good for 60c at least but their call on what they rate it at

OOOH! 116F is NOT good! 140F is a little better, but still not Southern California, Dixie, or the Ol' West survivable. Forget LatAm, North Africa, or the Outback.

Highly frustrated. Maybe I should hold off a year, until the Chinese engineers do a fecal concentration. They GOTTA realize CARS GET HOT! If you designed something that works only in Amchitka, Minot, Oslo, or Novgorosk, it's useless to about half the folks in the US.

No. Going ahead with Mobiius. If it dies, it dies. If the replacement they send dies, then we know. If it lives, I buy more.

Said the carnival barker, "Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chance!"

Part of the low rating is battery related, if using it with caps it's obviously safer

As I mentioned components are good for 60c, it would get unpredictable above that, chipset is rated to max of 70c, I think the CMOS is also 70c from memory

My mobius survived the nice summer we had this year, but where it sit in the rear window i will have to park it on a steep hill pointing toward the sun for the camera to get any direct sunshine.
For just about 3 weeks i opened 2 doors in my car to let out the heat before i got into the car, 30 deg C heat up my little red metal box pretty good.

Offcourse this is not death vally temperatures ;) but its just about as hot as it get here.

Well, mine's gonna be tortured. Creative engineering to mount it in the front windshield, without the suction cup.

We have plastic rain shields on our doors, so we can crack the side windows an inch on hot days, and not compromise security and rain proofing. It's gonna be like everything else we have in the car.

Panorama can eat the heat, proven/solid/reliable/high quality video. The Zoran CPU uses the least amount of power around, and super capacitors are high quality.

Toasty :D

Remind me of the times i have been in the curing oven to pick up powder coated things thats fallen off the conveyor, you need a oxygen supply ( my painting mask ) and some thick clothe to keep out the heat,,,,,, its around 130 deg C in there, so you do not hang around for long.

Been in hotter places, but that was during the courses for my firefighting certificate, and wearing proper firefighting gear as it get way past the measly 130 deg C :cool:

Working on ships i have been in so hot places that the sweat evaporate as soon as it leave your inside, i estimate 60 deg C, and definitely not a place i was for longer than i needed to be there.
Needed gloves to climb the ladders to get up there every day to clean the exaust by injecting some cupper oxide like greenish powder into the exaust.

32 deg C sound good to me, just hot enuff to legally not do anything but chill out.

Last edited:
If only there was an independent agency that tested these things. Checking thewirecutter.com
www.tested.com.

In the sites above, the Lukas LK-7900 claims rating to 158F with a capacitor. About $200. No screen. Must plug into computer. For safe to 158K, a small price to pay. But, that 158F is IN THE MANUAL. The Garmin Dash Cam 20, also for $200, is also well thought of for durability, and Garmin is a known and established name. The one fly in the ointment is it's rated to only 131F IN THE MANUAL. The Pittasoft Blackvue DR500GW-HD is rated to 158F, IN THE MANUAL, but costs $400, and the features are no better than a $150 camera. And, rated? Really? Test results? From an independent? Dream on!

"It slices! It dices! It'll even wind your watch! It'll cure psoriasis, herpes, angina, and athlete's foot! It comes in any color you want! $39.95! Have your credit card ready! Operators are standing by!!"

http://jalopnik.com/why-is-it-so-hard-to-buy-a-decent-dash-cam-473093375 Good article. Says it all. Frustration.

Am so thankful for Amazon. At least they have a great return policy. Hmmm. Maybe the Lukas or the Panorama G? Gaaaa!

Back to KDLinks X-1. This just appeared on their Amazon ad.

"Safety First: High Quality Li-polymer 3.7v 120mah battery can bear high/low temperature, with official MSDS report and the most strict PONY Lab Certificate (Tested: 6+ hours in 170°F, 6+ hours in -40°F)."

Wow. 77°C. 170°F. MSDS Report. Meets mission. IF they are telling the truth. Oh, dopey me! That's just the battery.

OK, let's see disclosures like this for you other distributers, out there! And test for heat the whole unit, and for, say, a week. I'd be more than willing to pay $160 for a tested unit. $200, I'd hafta think about it.

Who knows? Market forces could force an incremental improvement in quality. Thas how it spos ta work.

I have MSDS reports the same for our products that have batteries too, you're falling for marketing fluff though, the MSDS report is needed so you can send the product via airfreight

Ah. Does it have to be truthful? I would think an airline would be more concerned with the effect of the drop in atmospheric pressure than raising the temperature to 71° C. Unless there's a fire in the cargo bay, it would never get that hot, even parked in Addis Ababa.

Every company does market hype. It's called "advertising". "This glue will stick Jello to motor oil!" There actually WAS an advertisement I saw as a kid, "Buy Sinclair Dino gasoline! It makes red lights turn green as you approach them!" No s**t! They actually had that on billboards!

If the average price of these cams was $20, I'd buy and try a few, as, throwing $20 in the trash isn't as painful as throwing $160 in the trash.

Now, I'm confused again. The search goes on. Grrrr.

The reports are true, I have them also, it's just a standard thing these days since airline safety procedures were tightened up recently

Back