SUV hits cyclist on right hand turn

Should read, CYCLIST UNDERTAKES TURNING SUV, cyclist is a twat and continues going up inside even after suv starts turning

Too many cyclists seem to live in a fantasy where they exist on a different plane of existence and can do whatever they like regardless of what's actually around them.
On a more literal note, they seem to think that squeezing through a gap means they have the same legal rights and practical safety as if they were in an actual lane of their own. Their whole attitude is based on a false premise.

They would probably argue here that the driver should have checked before turning. Maybe so. But the way I see it, the car WASN'T moving into someone else's path - she was already in the right hand lane and following her own path, following the kerb. Cyclists need to understand that they can't unilaterally define a new virtual lane system and expect others to adhere to it. Same thing with "lane splitting." You can't redefine a marked lane as two imaginary lanes and assume others will be working within that scheme. It's your responsibility to make sure it's safe if you attempt that.

Last edited:
while i agree with everything you say, @Rajagra, there are places here that have dedicated bike lanes right where that guy was riding. motorists are supposed to check before turning to avoid this situation.

that said, i don't know whether a dedicated bike lane exists in this case. also didn't look like the SUV was using her turn signal. but if the bike wasn't there legally, she shouldn't have needed a signal except to be courteous to the driver behind her, to let them know why she was braking.

i also don't agree with or like having bike lanes on the right because of situations like this. it can cause too many different kinds of problems, such as a driver having to brake unexpectedly due to a cyclist, and then end up getting rear-ended. true, it's the rear-ender's fault, but that doesn't make it hurt less.

If there is a cycle lane there (or even a normal 2nd lane) that would put the car in the wrong, but it could be space reserved for parking? Note there is a parked car further back, which everyone had to pass, so even if it is a usable lane, that would have made the driver think it was safe to move right. Even if that's a false assumption, it's predictable, someone overtaking on the inside needs to anticipate such things. Undertaking at a junction is always, always, always risky, but some cyclists just won't accept this.

Looks like there is a cycle lane further back.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.6...-pUcOpK-7PC4Op1KyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
Pretty appalling layout, the way the lane narrows then disappears subconsciously programs drivers to think it's safe to turn. All the more reason to be cautious, though.
If you look to two building past the parking entrance, to the business "Speedy Laundry", the bicycle lane goes from solid to dash. At that point, if considering making a right turn, automobiles are required to cross that dash lane when making a right turn. This was news to me. The local news channel I watch has a clip on this with a police officer explaining one needs to be close to curb to make a lane . Vehicles need to cross the dashed lane when turning right.

To me the suv did not cross the dashed lines and remained to the left of it. Had the car crossed the dashed, if it was safe to do so, it would be blocking the lane and restricting the bicycle from passing. By Ontario Law, the Suv is at fault. However at the very least, the bicycle did not ride defensively as the SUV had its signals on and had shown intention to turn. A wise person would have slowed down and not attempt to pass.

edit:
https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Transportation Services/Cycling/Article/Understanding_bike_lanes_FINALweb.pdf

Last edited:
I couldn't make out a turn signal on her car. All I saw was a shadow flicker across the front of the car shortly before the hit. And that was watching it full screen on my pc, not my phone.

The problem is the lane markings end before the junction. Essentially, there is a merge of lanes. And the dashed lines curve right, tending towards the apex of the turn. This draws the eye right and steering follows the eyes. Psychologically this tricks drivers into feeling they are just following the natural line when turning.

Terrible design. We have the same, and worse, in the UK these days. It's the product of the obsession with providing cycling infrastructure even when there isn't really capacity to do it. It's politics, and it makes for dangerous roads.

The cyclist here was not only undertaking at a junction, but also at a lane merge (pet peeve of mine.) Unsafe, unnecessary, and foolish.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What ever the rights and wrongs one would hope that common sense prevails, if I were that cyclist I would not rush up the inside of any car right next to a turn, let alone in this case CONTINUE to do so even after seeing said car executing that turn, what are car drivers responsible for next, not stopping at red lights in case a cyclist runs into the back of them ?, I say that as it happened to me and that was the cyclists fault after he came off and broke his ankle, I suspect the intense rain had impaired his brakes performance I was doing 20mph at time in town centre

I couldn't make out a turn signal on her car. All I saw was a shadow flicker across the front of the car shortly before the hit. And that was watching it full screen on my pc, not my phone.

I see the same flicker and saw it on my laptop. I assumed it was a turn signal and users in Reddit seem to think its a turn signal and it may have influenced me. Looking with a much larger screen, I can see its a ficker and even then its on maybe 1/2 second before she starts to turn. At that point the bike is almost right beside her.

I have seen a few cases on my cameras where traffic lights are not visible due the wide angle, or narrowness of a green turn signal on a light. I captured an accident last october where a turn signal was a third of a second before the a car started spinning out. My mobius did not capture it due to the distance and wide angle lense, my iroad did but when I uploaded to youtube it was not visible.

As such, with lack of signals, I take back my comment there was intent shown the SUV was turning. The only intent I see is the SUV slowing down to make the turn resulting in the collision as the bike either continued at its same speed or accelerated.

What ever the rights and wrongs one would hope that common sense prevails, if I were that cyclist I would not rush up the inside of any car right next to a turn, let alone in this case CONTINUE to do so even after seeing said car executing that turn, what are car drivers responsible for next, not stopping at red lights in case a cyclist runs into the back of them ?, I say that as it happened to me and that was the cyclists fault after he came off and broke his ankle, I suspect the intense rain had impaired his brakes performance I was doing 20mph at time in town centre

But to me, the SUV does not show intent to turn until very close to the intersection. Perhaps as the Suv was slowing down, the bike should slow down too until it became clear if the SUV was going straight or turning. If I were the driver, I would establish where the bike is before turning the wheel and show intent such slowing down earlier, moving more to the right and using the signals much earlier.

Here its the turning cars job to make sure there are no cyclists to turn in front of, and if one is there the car must stop to allow him to proceed strait first.

I think this is also why at many intersections here now you will see blue markings on the ground, cuz drivers making a right turn in front of cyclists or mopeds on the bicycle path or along the curb are still one of the biggest accident numbers here.

Personally i think our setup are working good, as long as you know where to expect the pedal pushers you can factor them into your driving.

Then again like my capture yesterday, some times you just have to throw your arms in the air and go WTF :eek:

FF to 0:16 if need be.

Off course if cyclists was paying attention too, then this could be avoided in many cases not least if car is using indicators, but it often seem like people put too much trust in other people.
And personally i wouldn't do that in this day and age.
I always try to get eye contact with the pedal pusher to let him know " i see you" and some times i also vigorously flash my brake light.

So this video in OP will be cars fault, and if cops got involved it might even mean its time to take a driving test again, it would be for sure if pedal pusher got hurt in a serious way.

Thats more or less the norm here now, get involved in a accident with personal injury and you will have to retake the drivers test, just to make sure you are aware of the rules and are not one of those that have forgotten it all 2 days after you got the license.

Last edited:
...the bicycle lane goes from solid to dash. At that point, if considering making a right turn, automobiles are required to cross that dash lane when making a right turn....
I don't see it that way - but it may just be a matter of semantics. Per the text in your link:

Where the white
line is dashed,
motor vehicles
may merge into
the bicycle lane
to make a right
hand turn

I also think i am sitting nice and comfortably in my vehicle, not having to do more than wiggle my toe to move, the pedal pushers on the other hand are working hard to get anywhere and are out there in the elements too, so i ave no problem giving them the advantage / keep up the momentum.
But they should also them self be more alert and dont take any chances as they are after all the part that will get most bend out of shape in contact with a motor vehicle.
But many cyclists display tree hugger like tendencies thinking they are all that and the world have to accommodate them, and i dont like that attitude in any kind of people.

Where the white
line is dashed,
motor vehicles
may merge into
the bicycle lane
to make a right
hand turn

One of the items, I got in the news is the motor vehicle has to cross the dashed line. There is a few cases how the news interprets a law, and what the law really is. Also, I find the hand book and the traffic act saying different things. I find the hand book too brief and not touch on the all possible scenarios on a possible situation

From https://www.ontario.ca/document/off...dbook/sharing-road-other-road-users#section-1, diagram 2-12 has a car across a dashed line and states
Bike lanes are reserved for cyclists. They are typically marked by a solid white line. Sometimes you will need to enter or cross a bike lane to turn right at a corner or driveway. (See Diagram 2-12) Take extra care when you do this. Enter the bike lane only after ensuring that you can do so safely, and then make the turn

It does NOT state, unfortunately if one can make a right hand turn to the left of the dashed line, only that you "sometimes you will need" to enter the bike lane to make a turn.

It is made perfectly clear in the UK. Mandatory cycle lanes have sold white lines. Motorists must stay out of them during hours of operation.

Non - mandatory cycle lanes have dashed lines and are for guidance only. Motorists can use them if they need to.

Of course plenty of people don't know the difference.

SUV's fault.
It should make sure to check for pedestrians and cyclists before turning.
Around here you have signs everywhere to check for them and this video will fault suv as the cyclist could not have known vehicle is turning as it was not only right turn lane plus he was next to the vehicle to see turn signal.
And even if suv had turn signal on, only morons think they can turn as long as signal is on without checking.

the cyclist could not have known vehicle is turning

But at the same time, the cyclist could not have known vehicle was NOT turning.

You shouldn't apply as-backwards logic when safety is at stake.

When you are overtaking you are not entitled to make assumptions, you have more responsibility than anyone else to make YOUR manoeuvre safe.

No matter how much the driver should have looked harder, the fact is the cycle lane had ended, the lanes had merged, and the cyclist should have known the overtake was unsafe.

Cyclist was MORE at fault than the driver. I'm sick of this trend of cyclists becoming increasingly reckless and for some reason more of the public considering this acceptable. I just find this dangerous attitude baffling.

P.S. To make it clear, I would feel exactly the same way if the roles were reversed or if it were two cars involved. The principle is the same. I'm not a hypocrite, unlike many cyclists who change their opinion instantly when the roles are reversed.

Last edited:
Just read in the news, this morning 6 cyclists was mowed down as a 41 year old woman for some reason ( you know what ) drifted into the oncoming lane in a slight turn in the road and hit the cyclists there.
Sure the cyclists might have occupied the whole oncoming lane driving 2 or more side by side ( not legal ), but still the woman should not have been in that lane.
So if it is a digital junkie ( most likely in my eyes ) or excessive speed and loss of control, but i doubt that.

Fawking digital junkies, should be trialed for vehicular manslaughter. :mad:

https://translate.google.dk/translate?sl=da&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.tv2ostjylland.dk/artikel/alvorligt-uheld-seks-cyklister-ramt-frontalt-af-bil&edit-text=

But at the same time, the cyclist could not have known vehicle was NOT turning....

Cyclist was MORE at fault than the driver. I'm sick of this trend of cyclists becoming increasingly reckless and for some reason more of the public considering this acceptable. I just find this dangerous attitude baffling....
Agree on both points. At a minimum the cyclist should have realized that a vehicle slowing down when approaching an intersection (as this one was doing) may turn even in the absence of an indication to do so. Common sense (an oxymoron when used to describe some cyclists) should tell you something may be about to happen.

Back