Swapping Cards.....settings saved in device?

Aronis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, when you swap out the memory card, are the settings saved on memory in the camera or on the card? If I swap out a card (to make downloading files more convenient, ie. swap the card, download at my leisure without leaving the camera without memory) are my settings still present on the camera or would I have to reinitialize the new card and reset my preferences?

Mike

They are on both the camera and card. If you insert a blank formatted card, it will copy the settings from the camera to the card. If you insert a card that has different settings than what is on the camera, it will load those onto the camera.

That is, once the new card has been 'formatted' in the camera, both cards will have the same software data on them, so are interchangeable without further formatting, which I think was the underlying cut and thrust of your question.

Thank you very much. Exact answer I was hoping for. LOL.

Sorry I added extra info and didn't dumb down the relevant information.

Extra info appreciated. I like to learn.

Last edited:
I do the card swap once a week to download my videos onto the computer. Like M8TJT said, once the cards have the same settings, you can swap all you want without formatting. Took me a few times to realize why my settings kept reverting back to what I had earlier. I would be using both card 1 and card 2 at setting A. I decide to make a change (setting B) while card 1 is in the camera. Then doing the swap to take card 1 in the house and installing card 2. Card 2 still had setting A on it and reset the camera to that setting. So now if I make any setting changes, I must remember to take card 2 in to be formatted on the computer to it doesn't over write setting B when inserted in the camera. Then setting B will be written to that blank card, making both cards have the same setting change.

Something I just noticed, I took my card holder back out to the car this morning on my way to work, but my cards are still plugged into my computer. Have three sets to check each week. The front and rear for one and two side cameras.

With that sort of coverage, I'm surprised that you don't also have one looking upwards for things falling from low flying aircraft or UFOs:alien::eek::ROFLMAO: Give you yet another card to juggle about, or leave in your computer.:D

Thought about another one pointed a little high to try getting a better airplane shot. So far this is still the best shot I got. It was by chance it was point up more than usual. I must have turned it when I was trying to plug the real stiff power back in during a card swap.

Attachments

• 20160624_155524_NF.jpg
    20160624_155524_NF.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 17
interesting turn this thread took. LOL.....

Mike

They are on both the camera and card. If you insert a blank formatted card, it will copy the settings from the camera to the card. If you insert a card that has different settings than what is on the camera, it will load those onto the camera.

Good to know! I'll be swapping cards for the first time since I got my camera about six months ago and did not want to screw around with time zone settings and the like all over again.

Back