Symptons of a Bad Battery?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
I know that there are multiple discussions about mini 0806's with bad batteries, but I was hoping that somebody in the know could list the symptoms that are typically associated with a bad battery.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I just received (2) brand new mini 0806's from SpyTec and one of them is freaking out. I'm tired of sending these units back only to get another one with a bad battery so I'll likely just purchase a new battery and swap it out myself.

Do you happen to know where I can get a premium replacement battery? If I'm going to open this sucker up I want to make sure the new battery is rock solid.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I just received (2) brand new mini 0806's from SpyTec and one of them is freaking out. I'm tired of sending these units back only to get another one with a bad battery so I'll likely just purchase a new battery and swap it out myself.

Do you happen to know where I can get a premium replacement battery? If I'm going to open this sucker up I want to make sure the new battery is rock solid.

if you can find one in a suitable size you generally find some of the batteries marketed toward RC use are much better quality, there are companies around that will actually put their brand name on batteries, some of the guys on here that are into RC will probably have a better idea about that

Yes, that sounds good. I would much rather source a battery from a company who's proud enough of their quality to stamp their name on it, even if it's a higher cost. :)

Yes, that sounds good. I would much rather source a battery from a company who's proud enough of their quality to stamp their name on it, even if it's a higher cost. :)

they're still quite cheap, even if double the cost it's only a few dollars, worth it though I think, might be worth having a look through the RC groups forums to see what brand names get a mention there

jokiin, I see the number 402030 being tossed around. Is that a universal industrywide number?

Is there anything wrong with using a battery that's smaller than 4.0mm thick, 20mm by 30mm width and length?

Is there anything wrong with using a battery that's smaller than 4.0mm thick, 20mm by 30mm width and length?

not really, the capacity that was stated on the original battery is unlikely to be accurate anyway and material quality plays a part also, a lower stated capacity but higher material quality can still be a better product

Hey jokiin, one more question. It looks like the battery spec for the mini 0806 is 3.7v @ 200 mAh, but I have seen a few owners who have used 300 mAh. Does it matter?

Hey jokiin, one more question. It looks like the battery spec for the mini 0806 is 3.7v @ 200 mAh, but I have seen a few owners who have used 300 mAh. Does it matter?

if it physically fits that would be ok, if the size is similar it's likely the capacity is also, they get a bit loose with the truth when it comes to rated capacity

The standard battery can give 20 minutes record time, you only need 20 seconds so the batteries are actually a lot bigger than needed, there is no need to worry about the mAh value. The charging system will charge it correctly whatever mAh value it is. Just make sure that it is a 3.7v or 3.8v lipo and that it's physical size is not bigger than the original.

Thanks guys. Once again, I'm in touch with the excellent folks from SpyTec regarding the problematic replacement camera.

Per tech support, I'm currently charging the mini 0806 so we can test the recording time. I just looked at the camera and both the blue and red LED are glowing steadily. Is this normal behavior for a mini 0806 when connected to a computer USB port?

Okay, so here's the latest. The mini 0806 appears to be charging fine when connected to my MacBook Pro. The battery will last about 10 minutes, which is normal. That means I either have a problem with the GPS mount or the hardwired power supply. I guess the next step is to plug the mini USB cable directly into the camera to bypass the GPS mount.

Just curious.. Is it your rear camera that's acting up?

Scosche chargers are generally fine, always worth double checking though, long USB cables can suffer from a bit of loss also, the 0806 doesn't have a great power circuit design and is a bit fussy when it comes to supply voltage

Back