T5 Edge randomly stops recording video

danimf

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Hi everyone.

Got a T5 Edge some months ago for a ski trip. We tested the camera a few times at home and it was mostly ok, some tips it would stop recording by itself but we thought that was a point event.

Well we didn't film a single thing in our trip because the camera would stop recording after 20 seconds, after 1 minute, after 2 minutes, or after 20 minutes when we tried it back in the room for debugging. Completely unreliable.

I've updated the firmware already twice and the problem continues. Has anyone else seen this? Shall I contact ThiEYE maybe? Cheers.

assuming no power problems like that are most often memory card related

Last edited:
assuming no power less problems like that are most often memory card related

That would make sense if there was a pattern, but there isn't. Ten minutes ago it recorded 4K30fps for only 31 seconds, whereas now it did so for 2min29sec, and one hour ago it didn't stop for over 10 minutes. The card is a SanDisk Ultra 64GB XC1-10, so I would expect reliable and constant writing rates (but I might be wrong).

check the card with h2testw and see how it goes

Consistent ~14.5 MBytes/sec of writing speed. Depending on the website that seems to be enough for 4K especially at only 30fps. Is it, though?

No errors shown for a 5GB test. The 4K30fps bitrate of a 50sec video just recorded was 60 Mbps.

you need to format and test the full card with h2testw, not just a partial test

Ok, so... :) Did the long format (not quick), ran chkdsk, and then ran h2testw again for the whole card. Here are the results:

Warning: Only 60886 of 60887 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 14.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

And it hasn't the error so far after 3 recordings of around 15 minutes each. I'll try again tomorrow, but maybe the deep format did something.

the deep format can do something if there was a glitch on the card, a glitch on the card may have been caused by the camera though so it's possible to happen again if that's the case, see how it goes I guess

I like better u3 cards like sandisk extreme pro or the Samsung select 100/90 MB's!

Back