Tailgater climbs the ladder of success

Yeah.
Unlike indicators, which there or not are somewhat of a crap shoot, then hazard lights, they are normally there for a reason.

And I'll bet that in his mind this is somehow your fault. :banghead:

2 things i noticed... the camry ahead of the jeep drove straight over it without a problem. so the jeep could have done that too, and it probably would have been an even better dose of karma for the focus.

2nd, the focus already has a lot of front end damage, so he hasn't learned from previous tailgating "encounters".

All I could think of is the sound of that ladder dragging underneath.
:headphone:

Don't tailgate, anyway, hazards or not.

You can't see what the car ahead can see, or may see at the last second. (or not see, run over, project toward you.)

The worst situation I had was a small cardboard box fell off of a small constructon trailer 2 vehicles ahead of me in fast, commuter traffic. I saw it, guessed I would clear it easily, the car between the trailer and me ran over it.....breaking over the box of NAILS, and spraying them in my path.

I forget how many nails I pulled out of my tires, and had a handful of flats, truck and trailer.

I remember following a pickup with a flatbed trailer on the freeway one day back in the 90s. It had a big dining room table upside down on the trailer, but it wasn't tied down. With every little bump in the road we could see the table slowly working its way back... And no tailgate on the end of the trailer. So we fell WAY back, fully expecting the table to come off and start doing flips in the road. When it finally did come off, thankfully it stayed flat on the ground and just got a high speed sanding, throwing up a small cloud of sawdust as it smoothly slid itself onto the shoulder and stopped as if it had a driver on board.

The best part though was when the cop right behind us quickly went around us to pull the guy over.

"Watch the car in front of you" is beat into our heads as the first important lesson in driving, so that is what most people do, but it is a very wrong concept. You need to watch everything in front of you in every way you can, and the best way to do this in any vehicle is to be far enough back from that car in front of you to let you see beside, under, over, and through it as the situation changes on the road. Act as if you're in enemy territory during wartime with ambushes ahead waiting for you that you want to be able to get yourself out of no matter what happens with the vehicle in front of you- that is the proper level of attention and the proper mindset you need to drive safest ;)

Phil

Back