Taking stills

Duv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use a dashcam to take stills through the windscreen while driving. This is just for souvenir pics of great landscapes.

Does anyone have a good experience of doing this? I'm trying to choose a camera but its hard to find details of each cameras stills capability.

Ideally I'd also like an easy way of operating the shutter while driving, so a remote shutter would be a big bonus.

I want to use a dashcam to take stills through the windscreen while driving. This is just for souvenir pics of great landscapes.

Does anyone have a good experience of doing this? I'm trying to choose a camera but its hard to find details of each cameras stills capability.

Ideally I'd also like an easy way of operating the shutter while driving, so a remote shutter would be a big bonus.

Most dashcams are without so called remote shutter. I know only one, but it is not known to international market yet ( still doing tests on it and dont know how long it will take until it goes international ).
Many dashcameras using wide FOV , so on most of them have this fish-eye effect from sides. The new generation of Ambarella A7 based dashcams have so called de-warp function to make even wide FIV side action stay straight ( trees, buildings etc ), but non of them yet available with remote shutter.

Besides I think there will be a lot of scenary from the side, and most dash cams are mounted behind rear-view mirror the way that you can not turn them around. My suggestion is to buy 100 usd photo-camera with remote shutter option, use 360 degree tripod, mount on dashboard and make much better pictures than with dashcam. For 100 usd these days you will get very good photo-camera ( compare to dashcams, if used just for scenery shooting )

If u learn a little video editing u could try playing back the vids in a editor which allows screen-shots.

You can usually grab frames from a movie in most editing software. Have done it quite often when necessary. Blackvue viewer provides that facility.

You can use VLC Player, you can do screenshots and go frame by frame.

Back