Tapping Dash Cam into rearview mirror Power

superwario

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I wonder why so many people route the power all the way down to their fuse box, when it would be so easy to just tap into the power that goes into the rearview mirror?

They sell Mirror Tap cables for radar detectors for this purpose, but not for Dash Cams, so was wondering this.

I could easily make my own Mirror Tap device by using a 12v-5v usb connector and soldering header pins to it.

Thanks!

Many of us used the central interior lights to get the power. For some cars this gives you some extra minutes after locking the car.
Connecting the camera to the fuse box puts you (I think) on the safer side of some electrical problems...

I tied my dashcam into the dome light ground to shortly thereafter find my no frills car uses both the hot and ground to turn on and dim the light. From that boondoggle I suggest fully understanding the source and path of both hot and ground. IMHO using an add-a-fuse is the path of least resistance for time, effort and power.

In some cars its not that easy to get close to RV mirror cables.
Also, some dashcams require 3-wire connections ( battery, ACC, ground ). Not all cars have ACC wire running close to RV mirror.
Connecting to fuse box is safer and more convenient for future purpose and safer as @horaceCJ mentioned.

In my case, it was easier to wire my camera down below. To wire into the mirror or the light console would require me to figure out which wire is active on ACC.

Edit: I've got two cigarette sockets, so I ended up just using one of them for the camera.

Another advantage of using the cigarette socket (and wiring all the way around the windshield) is if for some reason you need to turn off the camera (like when I cross borders and they do not want video taken). I can just pull the plug out; you would need to wire a switch if powered through the mirror. Not saying that powering through a mirror is not a good idea, for some it would be.

I checked my toyota wiring scheme and mirror is behind 10A fuse so it's possible to use it, only surprise to me was that ignition switch connects ground (-) wire instead of plus (+) wire, meaning you have all time 12V in mirror, therefore you have to connect dvr power adapter parallel with mirror.

Back