Taxi driver tells me to F myself after turning in front

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Warning Language (Taxi Driver)

Beck taxi turns in front of me, where he has a stop sign and I don't. Stops and front and tells to "mind my own business" and "f myself"

At least you tried (y) but some people are just impervious to common sense.

No worse than our taxi drivers here... they own the roads remember :)

Same the world over. If you honk, that confirms you saw them, so they continue.

But a stop sign in a parking lot is more of a suggestion than it is anything enforceable.
:(

But a stop sign in a parking lot is more of a suggestion than it is anything enforceable.
:(

Sadly, traffic rules are not enforceable in shopping parking lots for many states and provinces. From https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...-shopping-centre-parking-lots/article4216574/
Ontario is an exception – its Highway Traffic Act (HTA) doesn't apply at all on shopping centre parking lots because they're considered private property.
"In Ontario, traffic signs and speed limits in parking lots aren't enforceable," says Terry L. Fox, manager of the legal advisory department for the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) of South Central Ontario. "You have to be on a highway, and any public road is considered a highway."
"Not that we'd advise anybody to speed or talk on their cell phones in a parking lot. But, no, the rules of the road don't apply."

Now I have known for a while that Police can't issue traffic tickets int a lot. I would like to think in this case, that if there was an accident, I would not be considered even partially at fault.

Edit: Search in google answered my question.
I would prefer a government website, but according to a the Injury Lawyers of Ontario Website. Link

Accidents in a private parking lot are not subject to the same laws under Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act (HTA), as are accidents on public roads. Nevertheless, there are general rules for right-of-way in parking lots which should be followed in order to avoid accidents. Among the most important rules is that a driver must obey any traffic signs within the parking lot, and vehicles in a thoroughfare lane have the right-of-way over vehicles in secondary lanes or those exiting from a parking spot.

Last edited:
Laws here are a bit weird with this. Police can enforce traffic laws anywhere in their jurisdiction should they choose to do so, but they default to not doing that on private property unless the leasee or owner requests it in writing. Then the signage on that property is supposed to meet the directives given by the Highway Department which it often doesn't, meaning that whyatthesign says in unenforcable, and they are supposed to put up signs informing drivers that the land is under the jurisdiction of Police which usually does happen. But even then the Police are not required to physically respond to incidents occurring on that land. And they usually don't around here claiming a lack of manpower although that does happen elsewhere.

It's a free-for-all just like driving on the roads around here is :(

Phil

I would expect that if it is a place where the public can just drive in, then the traffic rules also apply there.
Here your private ground have to be fenced off or at least be so others can drive onto it, then it is private in accordance to the law and you can drive pretty much what you like there.
BUT ! it is still "private" cuz even if you buy and pay for some land here, you don't really own it, you just get the right to pay property taxes on it, but truly do what you like on your land, that are still restricted to a ( IMO ) too large degree.
It is another of the things i truly dislike about my country, don't like the level of overseer / big brother system / mentality here.
I should be able to buy some land, and build a house on it using pallets - nails and cardboard if i like to, but i cant do that and that's a red flag to the little Texan deep inside me.

I don't get how the Injury lawyers say the HTA (Highway Traffic act) does not apply but you have to follow signs and oh yes we are more than willing to be involved in law suits if injury occurs.

In Toronto, Taxis get their operational license from a municipal licensing body. I was instructed to bring this to Toronto their attention. He has been issued a caution on his permanent record; failing to remain civil and well behaved. This will be on his record permanently.

It is not easy to be nice when the world are populated by A-holes, but anything worth a damn are not easy.
And anyone can do the lowest common denominator thing, that's easy and why most people go that route even if they plan for it or not.

I always say if you have something / anything to say, then say it, but you have to be careful cuz doing that the wrong way and it is easy to become " one of them"

Toronto Licensing can't do anything about the driving conduct of the taxi and advised me to contact the police. Given that it was private property and the police do not seem to investigate matters of drivers running the school bus stop sign, I din't pursue that route.

I am actually more concerned that a driver in an occupation that has passengers drives in that manner, of not looking or cutting off, than the language used. Imagine if he pulled a stunt like that with a distracted driver going straight, that driver going faster than myself, and passengers in the back.

I see outrageous taxi driving all the time, with several video on my channel (all from the same taxi company), but nothing as inept as that!

That guy was comfortably numb for sure, not really what you would like to be when driving.

Its amazing how the audio played in the vehicle matches the driving of the offending vehicle. I have had 21 century schizoid playing when encountering weird behavior and some pretty heavy drumming when observing some crashes.

Back