teardown and focus adjust

David L.

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Hi there,
I bought a mini 0805 camera on ebay and right out the box I found it has a out of focus problem. I decided to try to fix it by myself because I didn't want to send it back to china (and pay the shipment) and wait one or two months for the replacement, so this is what I did.

1. open the camera using a knife or other sharp object from the side of the camera, where the power button is located

aQgI1dr.jpg

2. Put the knife on the side, the cover is slightly glued so it's very easy to open

R1AKSQn.jpg

3. after remove the cover, you will see 4 phillips screws, remove them all.

AxwxUD0.jpg

agH9nns.jpg

4. Becareful when remove this ring with the holder because it has a very tiny small metal ball with a spring and it's really easy to fall and get lost

BLTe7UN.jpg

6. open the camera for the side with a flat screwdriver

elHynAQ.jpg

7. locate the glue on the focus lens ring and remove it. I think it was very easy to remove because it was something like hot glue and not super glue.

8SdjL8Z.jpg

8. plug a mini hdmi / hdmi cable to a computer monitor and start to rotate the lens, first clockwise and then counter clockwise until you see the objects more clearly and not blurry. I focused on a wall clock at 5 or 6 meters from me and adjusted the lens until I saw the numbers clearly

3wLEApg.jpg

Finally, the results.

Before:

BoKfosM.jpg

After:
NsBYSIo.jpg

I uploaded two sample videos with the before and after.

Before:

After:

I'm very happy with the change, now I have to play with the exposure because some videos are really dark (when the sky is to bright):

Thanks for taking the time to post the details, this comes up quite often and will no doubt be helpful for others

Wanted to say thanks as well. This is FAQ page worthy for sure.

Fantastic David; well done! I have ordered a Mini 0805 from Amazon UK today, so if I have this issue I know where to come to fix it!

Now I just need to get a hard-wire kit and tiny Polarising filter..!

I assume the hot glue is always at the place where you show us.
I would take the lazy way, drill a hole to remove the glue so you can turn the lens from the front.
( you can stick a heated screw driver to remove the glue )

Looking to use this for an FPV build. I'm torn between THIS camera and the Mobius.

I need a couple favours.

I need the dimensions of the board inside AND I'm curious if it's functional with the screen disconnected.

Here's what I'm building:

camUnit_zpsrn1rdlmq.jpg

You can see the 0805 mounted to the side, but the screen would be visible and unprotected in the rear, so I want to remove it or at the very least build a cover for it. Thanks for any help!

I LIKE the idea of the screen it's just very limiting with my current design.

The quality of the camera at night is what I'm after - and it's small size. The onboard memory is a plus, the GPS logger is another fun thing.

The camera would be perfect if I could reposition the lense like I could with the Mobius, but the Mobius would require me to make ANOTHER case and I'm sick of making enclosures already haha.

So this camera is good in every where except: Worried about screen damage, and cannot reposition the lense. However as you can see in my design, it fits rather well where I have it.

no idea what your drawing is, if you were going to use the 0805 I'd suggest leaving it intact though, taking the screen off isn't going to make it smaller and will only make it more difficult to operate, I would think the Mobius is already the better option for your use

Thank you for your opinion.

I only want to know if it can be removed. I plan on making a new rear portion of the camera between my 3D printer and CNC. I don't want to buy the thing and wait 14 days if I don't have to, so I figured I'd ask someone here who already has one who would find this thread by WANTING to open theirs.. if they could simply measure it, and ensure it will still operate normally with the screen disconnected.

Thank you for your opinion.

I only want to know if it can be removed. I plan on making a new rear portion of the camera between my 3D printer and CNC. I don't want to buy the thing and wait 14 days if I don't have to, so I figured I'd ask someone here who already has one who would find this thread by WANTING to open theirs.. if they could simply measure it, and ensure it will still operate normally with the screen disconnected.

@Tobi@s may have one pulled down already, he has some busted ones

Yeah it's (0803) working and recording even without screen. Just checked it.

DSC_0036.JPG

Incredible, thank you! Could you do me one more and give me the dimensions? I know it's a pain to ask... I'm actually looking for the dimensions of both the board AND the case if you could do that, but knowing it records without the screen is a HUGE help! Thank you again =)

(I could reposition the screen and the buttons now as a result!!)

Hi,
uh which accuracy do you need? Don't have any special measuring tools here atm.

I stopped getting email notifications to responses - sorry for the late replies.

MM is what I'm looking for, but "as close as possible" would suffice? Just a ruler using CM/INCHES would be close enough for now for me =)

Will do this tomorrow, too late now...
Good night ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Mini 0805 10
maburayu Mini 0805 6
Back