Techmoan Mat's new favourite dashcam

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I spotted this in the YT comments for his latest SJ5000+ addendum video on firmware 1.7:

upload_2015-2-17_22-55-40.png

It will be interesting to see which one this turns out to be - whatever it is I'm sure resellers will be lining up to stock it after he puts that video up :)

Yes, I spotted that. Can't wait to see what he comes up with - I just hope it's not another huge black box to obstruct our view.

The recent video showing the speeding mechanic got a few interesting comments around the web - mostly people saying how the heck did the guy not see that camera - which kinda supported some of the conspiracy comments

That's all over my Facebook at the moment - recorded on the Nextbase 402G like I just put up for sale from memory.

Especially as there were two of them in the car - even if it was a set up the police would have your pants down for those sorts of speeds!

Interesting, I always respect TechMoan's opinions/reviews. We'll see what tickles his fancy for Q1 2015

EDIT:

Bad news, it seems the K1S super low, bad audio problem can't be fixed even in the latest production run. I asked what the latest is and I got this response from my Koonlung factory connections:

"We've been testing and improving the audio kit for many times, it doesn't help.
Frankly, the sound of K1S is lower than normal dash cam, because the microphone of K1S is installed in the front camera while the 3 meters long front camera cable causes audio signal attenuation. "

Click here for audio example that was boosted 400% on a PC via processing (@13m23s)

Last edited:
Maybe Jokiin's new mobius beater will finally arrive and be even better. Or maybe this is it.

Last I heard mat was using an a118 and called it "the wedge" and said that's what he uses in his own car. Maybe it's an a118c - all the good bits from the a118 without a battery and still affordable.

Possibly mate, although he has tested cameras with better night vision.

I wondered about that little Iro camera that was like the A118 and used the A7 and OV4689 as that has no sellers over here. Or maybe something like the DODMT D99. Niko has tried some interesting looking Chinese cameras too which don't get mentioned here.

I'm still waiting to see an IMX322 and A7 combo as that could be potent.

I know most dashcams use low MP sensors to maximize light capture but my iPhone seems to be quite decent video at night and that's quite high resolution.

Looking forward to seeing what it is anyway :)

They were IMX014s I think, not sure if the new one uses the 220 but the 230 could make a nice 4k dashcam!

Totally overkill but I like the idea - hopefully they'll use full size SD cards to keep the costs down!

@jokiin What's the "mobius beater"? I don't think I've seen mention of it before,

Jokiin made mention of a cam setup with remote lenses. To me that would be a mobius beater.
dual remote cam with hideaway box models are in development now

they're coming, the design may get updated further but currently the cameras are about half the size of a Mobius

I know of another in development as well which also has nice small cameras and should be a good end result

Hopefully this gets released before to long.

I wish techmoan would get his new review out soon. He could at least give an idea of the extra features and a rough price range for it.

Last edited:
^ The form factor is enticing. But a Mobius beater in terms of quality/flexibility/practicality?

Possibly a camera with a chip that runs cooler and better?

Ambarella H1 ?

It also supports the new H.265/HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) video standard for 4K Ultra HD encoding at up to 30 frames per second, providing higher image quality at lower bitrates ...
The Ambarella H1 integrates a hardware de‐warping engine supporting 360‐degree panoramic cameras....

• H.264 (AVC) Baseline/Main/High Profile Level 5.2 encoding up to 4K Ultra HD resolution at 60 frames per second.
  • H.265 (HEVC) Main Profile encoding up to 4Kp30 video.
  • Next-generation Image Sensor Pipeline (ISP) with 4Kp30 high ISO processing for excellent low-light imaging.
  • Sensor capture rate of up to 2 Gigapixels per second with high‐speed SLVS-EC/SLVS/MIPI®/HiSPi™ interfaces supporting up to 64-Megapixel (MP) sensor resolution.
  • Line‐interleaved multi‐exposure High Dynamic Range (HDR) processing.
  • Real-time hardware-accelerated de‐warping for 360-degree panoramic lenses.
  • Enhanced Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) with rolling shutter correction.
  • 1.2 GHz dual‐core ARM® Cortex®-A9 CPU with floating point, NEON™ and 1 MByte full-speed L2 cache.
  • Rich set of SoC interfaces includes support for DDR3/DDR3L/LPDDR2, USB 2.0 host and device, HDMI® 2.0 with 4Kp60 support, SDXC SD™ card, and dual sensor interfaces.
  • USB host for 4G/LTE module connectivity.
  • Low‐power 28nm process technology.
Source: http://www.ambarella.com/news/69/74...a-HD-Frame-Rate-for-Sports-and-Flying-Cameras

well if a chip has the bandwidth for 4k then maybe it can also handle 4 channels of 1080p since that's the same number of pixels. the trick will be finding media that can handle that amount of data flying at it. perhaps 2 different sd cards, with 2 channels each?

i want a 4k30 cam! gimmie gimmie gimmie!

or wait no.. give me a 4ch FHDx4 system with remote DVR. :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Koonlung 8
Back