TechMoan reviews Mio MiVue 358 Car DVR

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
It seems TechMoan gave up on his Mini 0801 already. Here is his latest DashCam (you'll see the Mini 0801 GPS Base still on his windshield)

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/10/1/mio-mivue-358-car-dvr-dash-cam-review.html

Mio MiVue 358 Car DVR Dash-Cam Review
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2013 AT 7:24PM
This is a review of a car DVR (dash-cam) from Mio, a company whose car sat-nav devices you may be familiar with. I picked up one of their range of diminutive MiVue car cameras, watch the video to see how well it performed.

Purchasing Link
I managed to find my Mio MiVue 358 for sale on ebay for approx £86 ($140 USD).
CLICK HERE to buy one for £86

The camera is small and neat, but I'm not a fan of the suction cup mount, I'm concerned it could draw unwanted attention to a parked vehicle. If I were using this camera myself (something that I'm contemplating) I would need to find a different way to mount it. The video quality is good in all lighting conditions, sound is clear and the operation is simple and intuitive. If you are looking for an easy to use, quality dash-cam then the MiVue 358 should definitely be on your list.

Here are some downloadable sample clips (Includes Day, Night, 1080p & 720p).

I can imagine that a good proportion of the comments on youtube will relate to the motion-activated parking mode and ultimately it will be down to the individual to decide whether this feature would be useful or useless for them....but with a battery life of under an hour it's definitely got its limitations.

I'm surprised he didn't get the 388 with GPS. (one model up)

It's too big, and I'm not impressed with the video quality.
Parking Mode is cool I guess but that's about it.

P.S. Looks like there is an official Mio section on the forum whoops. (oh well, not much activity there)
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index.php?forums/mio-mivue.32/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why he reviews 1 year old model ?
Yes, it was cool dash cam back then, but not any more.

I agree with you on why he didnt review 388 or at least 368, they both with wdr which suits for modern time needs, and share same cpl lens filter, basicall they are same dash cams but with advantage of 388 having a gps, speed warning, etc.

I'm glad he done the review, I have watched plenty of Techmoan's reviews and I have been more impressed with that camera than many other he has reviewed, I agree about the suction mount, but I'm still tempted to purchase one.

I'm glad he done the review, I have watched plenty of Techmoan's reviews and I have been more impressed with that camera than many other he has reviewed, I agree about the suction mount, but I'm still tempted to purchase one.

Techmoan does professional easy to understand reviews, but pint was that "why he did review for such an old model" ?
I have nothing against the way he did review, - it is brilliant. The choice of Mio 358 for these days is no good. It's an old model and can not compete with order much better models within same price range. 368 or 388 would be more more "our time".

Here in the UK, only 3 models I have seen for sale, 338, 358 and 388, £99, 149 and £199 that's from the high street retailers, I notice somewhere there is a torch type design, I'm not sure what the 368 is, but will have a look now, although the 358 maybe old, it's still a valid and worthy model, some users will simply want a unit in the car to record and store any incident , in effect instal and forget it's there.

Its two features - a one hour battery and recording the 5 seconds before motion is detected - are superb. Has anyone reading this got the Mio 358? The main question is how do you hide it (as Techmoan points out, there's no point in using it to protect your car if it actually attracts thieves and damage to your car). Are there any other dash cams with this 5 second feature?

Its two features - a one hour battery and recording the 5 seconds before motion is detected - are superb. Has anyone reading this got the Mio 358? The main question is how do you hide it (as Techmoan points out, there's no point in using it to protect your car if it actually attracts thieves and damage to your car). Are there any other dash cams with this 5 second feature?

Yes, Panorama2 has also 5sec pre-motion detection recording.

So does BlackVue DR500GW

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

So does BlackVue DR500GW

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
But it is still noticeable and one of the administrators of Russian forum had it stolen last month. The thief actually did it during daytime with people walking around. It was a smash and grab job. Poor guy had to replace the window and fix the mirror.

My preference is to have a 100% covert solution with an "event" cellular video upload feature.

But it is still noticeable and one of the administrators of Russian forum had it stolen last month. The thief actually did it during daytime with people walking around. It was a smash and grab job. Poor guy had to replace the window and fix the mirror.

daytime is the best time to steal thing.... on most city streets, nobody really cares what you're doing to the cars, even with the alarms screaming at 150dB.

a month before September 11, I was in Manhattan. I parked on the street near South Street Seaport(or whatever it's called). A thief broke in my car and the only he/she stole was the change in the cupholder, which were all quarters, totaling about 6 dollars. At least the thief had the decency not to break the windows. He/she must have used something to jimmy open the passenger door. As I was walking back, I could hear the car alarm going off loudly. There were dozens of people nearby and not a single one paid any attention to it. :D

My niece also had her car broken into at LAX airport parking lot. The thief only took the Hello Kitty charm that was hanging on the rearview mirror. Yes, I guess the thief must have been a Hello Kitty fan? Her car wasn't so lucky, as the thief broke a rear door window to get inside. The Hello Kitty charm was probably only worth $2? Worse yet, the broken window allowed rain to get inside the car during the 5 days that it was parked at the airport.

perhaps the thief could have been caught on video if the Russian guy had a second camera inside the car, such as on the rear window pointing towards the front?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
www.JooVuu.com will be stocking these this week (should be in on Thursday). They're available for pre-order now. We are based in the UK/EU and the Mivuee 358 comes with free shipping to anywhere in the world. If you have any questions just ask.

Kind regards,

Dan

How long does it usually take to ship a dash cam from the UK to the US?(New York City area)

A regular postal letter mailed from London to New York City usually takes 7 to 9 days.

I imagine a small package is a little longer than that?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Street Guardian USA Mio MiVue 0
Back