Temperature and leaving in the car question

SR45

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the consensus of dash cam owners with a cam that has a higher temp range and leaving it in the car either under a somewhat shaded tree or in direct sunlight in summer months (florida) ? Do you take it out of a car every day or just leave it in with it off, no battery hook-up ?

Last edited:
Just sitting there should be fine, but if you add the load of parking guard then the camera would probably go into thermal shut down pretty fast.

The hot desert southern states should not be a problem for a dashcam ( non parking guard ) just sitting there cooking, but it will be damn near the upper storage temperatures i am sure.
If you are able to take your dashcam in consideration when parking, i am sure it would thank you for it if it had any AI and a speech module.

It depends on the specific camera to a (large?) degree. My old G1W-H cameras would become non-operative when sitting in direct sun at summer temperatures (95+) for extended periods. I replaced them with various Street Guardian, A118C and Blacksys CF-100 cameras (at various times) and none of them had issues.

Thank you guys for the reply. I do park mine under a tree but it has shade only part of the day. Two hours or even three in the direct sun. Temperatures in my part of Florida only get up to about 88 to 92°. I was thinking of putting a cloth over the lens when parked in my driveway, but who knows if that would be just silly. Thanks again

Back