Temperature and SD cards?

Lmspec

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Recently we have a heat wave and my refurbished dashcam (see my other thread) has just been rebooting a few times when I am driving away with the ac on.

I’ve formatted the SD card and it seems to work
Is this normal for high temperatures?

The problem is more likely with your camera than the SD card. Most SD memory cards are capable of withstanding fairly extreme temperatures, hot and cold.

According to SanDisk for example:

"SanDisk SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC memory cards are capable of withstanding operating temperatures from -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85 ºC)."

According to Samsung (EVO +):

"These memory cards can endure temperatures from -25° to 85° Celsius."

Hmm, I am using Sandisk ultra already

As there is a warranty on my refurbished dash cam I will reach out to BlackVue and see what they say

That's useful information. The standard Gray and Red SanDisk Ultra cards are well known to be problematic in dash cams and are best avoided. I thought they were discontinued actually, so I'm unclear what you have but if it is an original older model you are using you might want to try a different card.

There are many discussions on the SandDisk Ultra cards here on the forum. Some searching might turn them up.

Last edited:
Ok thanks I will recheck what version I have and swap if required

Hmm, I am using Sandisk ultra already

As there is a warranty on my refurbished dash cam I will reach out to BlackVue and see what they say
Don't waste your time.
Since you are using a non-BlackVue card, BlackVue will probably easily dismiss whatever claims you may have back to the SD card as they only recommend using BlackVue SD cards with their products.

If you are using a third-party microSD card in the BlackVue dashcam, it can cause the dashcam to reboot randomly. You can try to troubleshoot the issue by formatting the microSD card or updating the firmware. But if the issue recurs, we recommend using a BlackVue microSD card.
If the issue recurs with the BlackVue microSD card even after formatting it / firmware upgrade, and you are using BlackVue models other than DR900S and DR750S, please send us the following details at cs@pittasoft.com for further examination of the issue
*If you are using a microSD card for more than six months, it is recommended to get a new one.
-The BlackVue microSD cards have a six-month warranty period. You can contact the seller for the replacement of the faulty BlackVue microSD card within the warranty period.
We highly recommend using BlackVue microSD cards for optimal performance. The reason for it is that dashcams put microSD cards under higher stress than most electronic products such as action cameras or DSLRs due to their constant recording. We test our cards extensively before selecting them for inclusion in our products, to make sure that their performance is good and degrades as little as possible over time. We cannot guarantee the perfect performance of cards from other manufacturers, as even cards with the same specifications may vary from batch to batch. Especially the SanDisk microSD cards, which show more restarting and stability issues in BlackVue dashcams.
All of the above quotes are taken directly from their support page which I linked.

The restarting issue may not be due to the high heat and just a coincidence. If the problem comes back, let us know, and we can troubleshoot further from there.

Back