Terrible audio S/N - SG9665GC v2

Zippo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just had occasion to review some saved videos. Normally I just view the video but this time I actually had sound on, and the signal-to-noise ratio was diabolical. The SG mic must be picking up the road noise etc via mechanical coupling through the mount, as even loud voices in the front seats are being completely over-run by the background noise - and the actual noise level IN THE CABIN is far from what the videos suggest.

I have reviewed saved clips from the last few years, and all are the same.

Am I the only one with this issue?

I cant say that i feel the Audio on the GC cameras i have owned ( V1 & V3 ) have been bad, but for sure the MIC in the SG cameras are not insensitive.
So yes i hear all bumps in the road, not least also cuz i drive a dirt cheap little Suzuki car with 0 effort in regard to make it a quiet car to drive, and i also hear my keys in the ignition rattle ASO.
But i wouldn't say the MIC are over driven, but it do pick up a lot of stuff, but the radio ( normal volume level ) and me talking sound fine, and i talk a lot while i drive, got a snappy comment on just about anything i see in traffic.
Sadly i can not link to a video, cuz due to my foul mouth and me being a nice guy i mute the sound on my uploads, and i don't think i have any old footage from the GC cameras on the computer i could upload.

Rick, I could send you the whole 3 minutes (343MB) but after a crash/rebuild on the pooter here I haven't reinstated anything to edit out the surplus.

Coming at you ...

Took some time as the unit was out of the vehicle for a windscreen replacement.

SG20161128v3 according to my eyesight.

Was there a "problem" version, or are you just thinking it needs updating anyway?

you're on a pretty old version, there were some audio adjustments earlier on but I don't recall the exact version where we did that, would suggest updating regardless as there have been a lot of other changes, can you update to this version and then check the audio and let me know how it goes http://bit.ly/SG9665GCV2V3V4

SG dont really do problem firmware's, i cant say i have ever gotten a problematic firmware from SG to test.
But older firmware's will ofcourse be without improvements to whatever been fixed over time.

Back