Terrible night recording quality?

ASWD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I just received the A129 Plus Duo and the night footage of the front cam is really suffering. The image quality has so much grain and the overall image has a weird purple hue to it.
I've watched a good handful of night footage with this cam on YouTube and what I've seen has been nice, but nothing like this.

While during the day the image is great, the other issue as you can see in the upper right corner, there's a dark area.
There's nothing obscuring the field of view in the mounting location of the cam. I'm thinking this may be a mfg defect with how the lends was put in?

Any suggestions on how to at least fix the night time quality?
My settings have Bitrate set to high with WDR off and the latest firmware version V1.0(20200925)

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• VIOFO A129 Plus Duo - Night.jpg
    VIOFO A129 Plus Duo - Night.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 78
  • VIOFO A129 Plus Duo - Day.jpg
    VIOFO A129 Plus Duo - Day.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I don't have a VIOFO but that purple color cast looks similar to what I get in shadow areas when I have WDR turned on. If yours has that option and it's turned on try setting it to OFF and see if that makes a difference.

you can see in the upper right corner, there's a dark area.
Something very close to the camera is blocking the view, try removing the camera from the car, point it at the sky and see if the blockage is still there...

The image quality has so much grain and the overall image has a weird purple hue to it.
Night footage is a little noisy on most cameras, doesn't mean that there is something wrong, or that you have the wrong settings, just that it is not perfect, but no cameras are perfect at night anyway, there is always a bit of variation between sensors/cameras.

Not sure if this can be improved via firmware update, but you could contact Viofo support and get their opinion, not sure what they consider acceptable, I wouldn't be surprised if they say "return it".

Image noise in low light most come about due to the camera using a too high ISO setting ( the higher ISO the more light sensitive and so brighter image )
Most cameras have some form of noise suppression like 3DNR and so on, i think this is also worked on in the SG cameras upcoming IQ "patch" along with WDR and other parameters tweaking.

Sadly the dashcams dont allow you to manual do ISO settings or select a maximum one like some action cameras allow you to do.
The stuff you see in the upper R corner, thats probably part of your car / frit on window, in some cases a CPL filter have also been known to do this, if you can record with the camera off its mount and you aim it a little more Left it will probably go away.
I have the same on one of my cameras as i have it mounted just a tiny bit too high on my windscreen and so have a little of the frit showing in the came corner.
I dont mind this, some times i also mount a test camera a little skewed, and thats okay too, unless you have to look at the footage for long then it would drive me insane, but for testing purpose and also general documentation in case of a event it will be fine.

you can see my corner "issue here"
dr2-jpg.53550

Back