Tesla "Driver Assistance" (aka Autopilot) saves the day

I wouldn't mind having that fitted!

I like it too, but for future self driving cars, as it is now i dont like the ABS - EST and what ever the stuff is called in my car, sadly its so embedded i cant disable it.

I like it too, but for future self driving cars, as it is now i dont like the ABS - EST and what ever the stuff is called in my car, sadly its so embedded i cant disable it.
most cars have a big fuse for ABS that you can remove to disable it. in my car it's a large 50A fuse that requires a 10mm socket to remove.

ABS isn't too bad. Just look at the video. With no ABS it would've been a lot of locking and a crash.

I wonder if the breaks are moderated with engine breaking in moderate to extreme situations.

I wonder if the breaks are moderated with engine breaking in moderate to extreme situations.

Tesla does have regeneration brakes instead of engine braking, but the brakes are already locking the tires, so nothing can slow it down more

Last edited:
I will take the money it cost ( Danish prize ) and keep on driving my little Suzuki.
Teslas will be selling worse here in the future, they are no longer exempt for the taxes like normal cars

+ 200% tax
+ 25 % sales tax
And i assume there soon be a battery recycling tax + 25 %
Allso since we are the kind of place that tax electronics too, you can add another 25 % at least.

Soon buying a tesla in Denmark will be like buying a Bugatti Veyron in Germany.
But if you are lucky you can get a elektric fiat 500 for the same price of a porche 911 turbo in the UK

Not the smartest decision by the danish government :p

Norway knows what's up, it's I believe the world's 2nd market for teslas?

Norway knows what's up, it's I believe the world's 2nd market for teslas?

In Norway, electric cars are exempt from purchase taxes & VAT & road tax & public parking fees & toll payments, & are allowed to use bus lanes. Little wonder that sales there are so strong. I'd like a P85D, but I've nowhere to plug it in :(

Tesla does have regeneration brakes instead of engine braking, but the brakes are already locking the tires, so nothing can slow it down more
this is a common myth. yes, electrics and hybrids have regenerative braking, but they also have conventional friction brakes (pads and rotors) just like every other car on the planet. you can't use regenerative braking when your battery is already full, and in a full panic stop like this, you can't dump power into the batteries that fast via regen, so you HAVE to have something else - and so there's the conventional brake pads and rotors to completely stop the car. in addition, they're there as a backup in case of electrical failure, so if for some unknown reason, the car simply shuts down, you still have a way to stop the car. (esp since the parking brake is electric on a tesla and several other vehicles!)

the main difference between a regular car and a hybrid or EV is that hybrids and EVs have a computer to decide when to use just regenerative braking, a partial mix, or full conventional braking.

conventional brakes:
attachment.php

Yeah, I just meant that instead of actual engine braking it has regen, but that regen is useless when the actual brakes are being used as hard as possible.

Yeah, I just meant that instead of actual engine braking it has regen, but that regen is useless when the actual brakes are being used as hard as possible.
no worries, just clarifying, as it's something i've heard a lot regarding EVs and hybrids. now i see you did say "engine braking" and not just "braking". i missed that not-insignificant detail. :)

during a full panic stop or other threshold braking situations, regenerative braking is disabled as it would potentially interfere with the ABS and upset the balance of the car, making it handle funny and thus increasing the chances the driver would lose control. regaining a little sip of energy isn't worth potentially losing control of the vehicle.

i've found that the regenerative braking in our 08 highlander hybrid is a LOT stronger than typical engine braking (moving shifter down to 3/2/L). when I move the shifter to "B" for braking, the power gauge (what we have instead of a tachometer) quickly drops deep into the CHARGE area, and i lose a lot of speed. coming down a mountain or big hill where i usually could just coast in 3rd gear to maintain a decent speed, i actually have to keep pressing the accelerator to keep it from slowing down too much. this is actually kinda annoying as the throttle feels very twitchy while doing this. it's similar to driving a stickshift car at a steady speed just below the redline - like doing 25 mph in first gear, where if you let off the throttle a teeny tiny bit, you get thrown forward from the engine braking, then thrown back when you give it a hair more gas. real easy to get into the herky-jerky throttle-bouncing stuff that way.

odd side note: google chrome (actually chromium in linux) thinks "shifter" is spelled wrong. it's suggesting sifter or shiftier, among other things lol

Last edited:
Back