Tesla may introduce dashcams with Ver 9 of its software

It is indeed funny to watch a computer / AI do all the things we do too when we drive, but to us its just something we do and dont think much about, one could argue we are on auto pilot when we drive.

Is that tesla cam lens fairly narrow? I can't figure out where that car with no lights came from, if it ran a stop sign, also.

Is that tesla cam lens fairly narrow? I can't figure out where that car with no lights came from, if it ran a stop sign, also.
Its not clear to me if the side cameras can be used as a dash cam, but such a narrow cone in the front camera with nothing to side would be useless for stop sign runners. My first camera had a narrow cone, but nothing like the front camera in the Tesla videos

I like the Nissan LEAF with it's 360 view. Would be awesome if the images were saved.

It is indeed funny to watch a computer / AI do all the things we do too when we drive, but to us its just something we do and dont think much about, one could argue we are on auto pilot when we drive.

I've read somewhere that it's how are brains function. To save energy it creates routines and just runs the routine for things we tend to do alot. Which is why when something outside of the normal routine happens we do things like forget to lock the doors or leave a door open.

Yes there are a lot of assumption going on in our brain, these automated routines is some of the things magicians pray on.
Several cars now have that 360 view, but as i understand it for now it is mostly found in higher end cars ( i will not be able to buy this side of a major lotto win )
Maybe it have filtered down to cheaper cars if / when i need to upgrade my little Suzuki, though i think by then i will not be able to afford a car as i will be on the full pension which are much lower then the early pension i get now.

Its not clear to me if the side cameras can be used as a dash cam, but such a narrow cone in the front camera with nothing to side would be useless for stop sign runners. My first camera had a narrow cone, but nothing like the front camera in the Tesla videos

There are 3 forward-facing lenses, but the dash cam feature only uses the narrow view for now. Plans are to support recording the other cameras as well, but now they would have to worry about USB performance, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these sensors are optimized for computer vision (hence the retro look).

COOKIES

Sentry Mode adds a unique layer of protection to Tesla vehicles by continuously monitoring the environment around a car when it’s left unattended. When enabled, Sentry Mode enters a “Standby” state, like many home alarm systems, which uses the car’s external cameras to detect potential threats. If a minimal threat is detected, such as someone leaning on a car, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alert” state and displays a message on the touchscreen warning that its cameras are recording. If a more severe threat is detected, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alarm” state, which activates the car alarm, increases the brightness of the center display, and plays music at maximum volume from the car’s audio system.

If a car switches to “Alarm” state, owners will also receive an alert from their Tesla mobile app notifying them that an incident has occurred. They’ll be able to download a video recording of an incident (which begins 10 minutes prior to the time a threat was detected) by inserting a formatted USB drive into their car before they enable Sentry Mode.

Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature by going to Controls > Safety & Security > Sentry Mode. The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.

While no alarm system can prevent against all vehicle thefts, break-ins and threats, we hope that with Sentry Mode and our other security features, your Tesla will be even more secure.

Last edited:
Back