Tesla Model 3 Dashcam

DAP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Two Viofo 129 PRO cameras and a Tesla Model 3 4 Channel
This is an example of the Tesla model 3 front integrated dashcam. The Tesla model 3 records on three cameras, the front, and two backwards aimed cameras on the front fenders (those chrome triangular things on the front fenders)
all three cameras record at 1280x960 at 36 frames/sec. This is not great as a dashcam but one must remember that these cameras are optimized for the autodrive AI.
This leaves three large blind spots in the field of view, directly left, directly right, and directly behind the car. The car does have 5 other cameras that it is not recording that would fill those blind spots, so maybe this will eventually improve.
The tesla dashcam records simultaneously from all three cameras in a one hour loop. This consumes about 5.1 GB of Thumbdrive memory.
The camera is activated by plugging in a USB thumb drive (fat 32 only, it does not support anything else) with a directory in the root called "TeslaCam".
You can have it save a 10 minute chunk of video that it won't overwrite by tapping on the dashcam icon on the touchscreen.
Note that the dashcam will stop recording if the thumb drive runs out of memory, it does not adapt its 1 hour loop to the size of the thumb drive, it is always 1 hour, and if it can't fit that one hour on the thumb drive, it shuts down.

The third camera looks like a mirror image of the right repeater, so I did not upload that one.

I'm going to look into installing my a119 into my model 3 so I have better quality video.

(It would be nice if there was a Tesla dashcam page on this form)

Yeah not fall on your ass images, but for sure useful, any dashcam are better than no dashcam.

It’s likely that there are not enough of us that drive Teslas to warrant a dedicated page. I’d like the Model 3 to be our next car, though. (y)

I could make do with a EV too with my driving needs, but i would never be able to get one with my buying power.
So that too are up to the lotto gods.
And still here charging a car are also expensive weather you do it with a plug, or pour some liquid into it, both things are stupid expensive here.
Using a public charger here normally double the price of a charge compared to at home.

There are talks of lowering electricity prices here.

Perhaps a new category for "Factory Installed" dashcams if not for Tesla alone since there are several carmakers doing that now.

Yeah, not stellar for a dashcam but not a "potato cam" either, and with operational fixes to ensure no loss of recording could be adequate for many drivers. The side 'repeaters' remind me of the view you get from fender-mounted mirrors which isn't a bad thing at all (y)

Phil

Perhaps a new category for "Factory Installed" dashcams if not for Tesla alone since there are several carmakers doing that now.
Good idea, that appears to have been noticed. Four years ago, I would never have thought the automotive manufacturers were serious enough about this to warrant to warrant discussion from us or a category here. How the times have changed.

Back