Tesla Model 3: Parking mode - Constant is 9V when off and 12V when On

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to get Parking Mode hooked up to my Tesla Model 3. But as some of you may be aware, the Tesla 'constant' drops from 12V to 9V when turned off. All the parking cables I've seen have low voltage cut off protection. Is there any way to bypass this protection circuitry?

I'd like to get Parking Mode hooked up to my Tesla Model 3. But as some of you may be aware, the Tesla 'constant' drops from 12V to 9V when turned off. All the parking cables I've seen have low voltage cut off protection. Is there any way to bypass this protection circuitry?

Tesla will soon provide a "sentry mode" for your Tesla.
"Elon Musk teases Tesla 'sentry mode' that captures video in 360 degrees"

"Elon Musk says Tesla is working on a "sentry mode" security feature that could let owners record damage and break-ins. The announcement came in response to a customer's tweet complaining of a dent to his Model 3 and suggesting a "360 dash cam feature while parked." To which Musk replied: "Tesla Sentry Mode coming soon for all cars with Enhanced Autopilot." He later clarified that the update would be available for all EVs with the Autopilot 2.5 Hardware."

Last edited:
What’s the best way to tap the Tesla M3 constant power, even if it drops from 12v to 9v? The M3 doesn’t come fitted with an OBD port, you can retrofit one, but the power there is switched.

Not sure, have you checked any of the Tesla forums to see what others have done?
Yes looking all over and I’ve yet to find a the answer. Tapping the Tesla 12V battery results in battery failures and replacements. Tesla M3 has its own “sentry mode” that uses its own cameras, but this runs 250W so massive power drains on main battery. So I’m looking for a simpler ~5W solution, using dash cam that runs in “parking mode” wired to a separate eg 20kmAh power bank.

don't see how their Sentry mode will draw 250w, that seems excessive even for the amount of hardware involved

if you want something that runs off a regular power bank for parking mode you'll need something that supports a software based parking mode

Tesla models do have a 12V system. Tie into that as long as you have switched power somewhere. Then use the generic instructions in this post to get a battery pack powering your cams.

Back