Tesla Model X near accident

IMO if he hadn't been talking on the phone and focused on his driving instead, he wouldn't have needed the assistance. Braking looked poor but I'll assume that's a camera angle thing, which means he was simply too close for the speed he was going.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

The little SUV in front could stop in time without going into the right lane, but he couldn't?

Why did the Tesla not automatically brake in time? Even if it wasn't driving it should still have automatic braking for collision avoidance?

There is an alarm, presumably a collision warning which responds quite fast to the car in front braking, but clearly it's useless for avoiding the accident as you don't have time to respond to it.

The distance between the vehicles appears to be under 1 second - stupidly close. Again, why did the Tesla not enforce a more reasonable distance?

And finally, a car that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds should have brakes capable of stopping faster than a big heavy SUV, by the time the Tesla stopped it was actually in front of the SUV, a whole extra second of braking time!

Just noticed that the phone call had just started, so he had just been focused on making the call.
Also the middle car had a brake light out. I wonder if that had a big effect on the Tesla's detection system.

Just noticed that the phone call had just started, so he had just been focused on making the call.
Also the middle car had a brake light out. I wonder if that had a big effect on the Tesla's detection system.

I think they use radar so it wouldn't make any difference, and the alarm sounds very quickly anyway. The problem was that the SUV had brakes that were as good as the Tesla and used them fully, probably activated the ALB and let it do it's thing, and the reaction time of the Tesla + driver was about a second longer than the gap they had left. If they had left the recommended 2 second gap then there wouldn't have been a problem.

I don't hear the anti lock braking working on the Tesla, maybe the driver didn't brake hard enough?

Don't like the way the driver re-joins the main carriageway while talking, did he check that there wasn't something about to pull in from lane 2, the car in lane 2 looks like it may have driven around him!

Seems like everybody's blaming the Tesla driver for avoiding a near collision caused by the idiot in the Jeep. It's obvious that it was he who slammed on at the last minute and if that had been an 18 wheeler behind him, the end result would have been very different for him. He should be very grateful that the SUV driver and the Tesla driver managed to avoid the impact.

Seems like everybody's blaming the Tesla driver for avoiding a near collision caused by the idiot in the Jeep.

Hell no, it's just that the jeep driver's stupidity was so far off the scale that it doesn't really need to be said.

But defensive driving is all about protecting yourself from such people.

Back