Testing the new SG9665XS

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
This thread will serve to post anything I (or you) feel can be relevant to the development of this camera, any doubts or questions that may arise, any bugs that may appear, anything that could need improvement, firmware updates' results, etc.
Honestly, I don't think it needs many improvements but the experts will know better. :)

Bit rate is variable and it can vary a lot, depending on the conditions:

Bitrate.png

These were the conditions at the beginning of that 19Mbps clip: some shades on the left and the sun on the right.

19Mbps clip screen grab.jpg

The higher bit rate clips seem overly sharp compared with the lower bit rate ones. I don't know if this is normal or needs to be corrected, or I'm just too accustomed to the softer AT11DA's picture. @jokiin said on the other thread that they are working on video quality improvement.

It's all for the moment, I'm off to record some night footage. :cool:

Night videos.

YT seems to be having a hard time loading the larger videos, so I'm going to leave just this two. I'll upload the full clips in the morning. The overall quality is good (much better than the AT11DA's), perhaps just a bit too bright. I noticed a couple of things I think are worth mentioning.

This one has a brief moment of some strange pixelation. I slowed it down to 0.25x to be easier to see. At normal speed it lasts less than a second.

In this one, the green traffic lights appear to be blue, unlike the one from the pharmacy which is shown in its real color.
(PS: the guy in the Citröen Mehari was on the phone, that's why he sat at the green light.) ;)

Last edited:
This one has a brief moment of some strange pixelation. I slowed it down to 0.25x to be easier to see. At normal speed it lasts less than a second.

that's possibly memory card related, are you able to upload the original of that same segment (slowed down and normal speed if possible) to a file host, I'll be with the engineer today so would be good to have it before then

that's possibly memory card related, are you able to upload the original of that same segment (slowed down and normal speed if possible) to a file host, I'll be with the engineer today so would be good to have it before then
Sorry to get back to you only now but I've been busy all morning and I'll be busy all afternoon. I'll only be able to upload those files when I arrive home in the evening and it'll probably be too late for your meeting. :( I have the full 36sec fragment at normal speed but it's also on YT. Man, it's always when I need some spare time that I'm more busy. :confused:
Now that you mention the card, I've been using the 64GB for two days now but I forgot to format it in the camera. Could this be the cause? I reviewed the whole night drive and didn't notice it happening again but I haven't yet reviewed the daytime footage to check if it happened before.

Night drive. There are a lot of different lighting conditions and also complete darkness, so it's a good test to see how the camera performs under those conditions.

YT doesn't seem to like .MOV files. Uploading a 5min file takes 32mins to complete, whereas the same 5min file converted to .WMV takes 5min. :confused: Therefore I had to convert these two videos to .WMV. I'd rather wait the 10 or 12 mins they take to render than the time YT takes to upload the original videos.
Ok, enough ranting, here are the videos:

I noticed a distinctive buzzing noise that wasn't present when I tested the camera powered via USB. It's more noticeable from the minute 2:30.

Watching today's footage with the sun in different heights confirmed what I said about the night footage, only that "too bright" isn't the correct description for that: making the analogy with TV sets, it's more like a little less contrast (to soften the picture) and a little more brightness (to reduce some of the "heaviness"). :)

I reviewed the first recordings in more detail and I noticed two things:

1. Things that aren't exposed to the sunlight are pitch black. Darker colored cars are also black, especially when the sunlight comes from the sides.
2. A blue-ish tint (almost purple) in some dark areas, like asphalt and black car's bodywork. The first screengrab I posted is a good example of this: that Volvo is black but it looks more like dark blue.
(I can upload the clips of both situations if necessary)

The overall picture has a good RGB balance, none of the 3 colors is overpowering the other 2, but when something blue appears in the picture, be it a car, a storefront sign or a traffic sign, it stands out more.

Here's a comparison of the same view, between the AT11DA and the XS. The Renault Scenic in front of me is black.
AT11DA.jpg SGXS.jpg

Focus is good, details are a lot more visible but it would be good if we could have these two things without changing the colors.
One curious thing I found out is that although both cameras have the same horizontal FoV (despite the lenses being completely different), the XS has less height and is more curvy at the bottom than the AT.

Last edited:
yeah the colour needs adjusting as noted by the green traffic lights looking a bit blue at night, have mentioned this already

Been reviewing the footage from last Thursday and Friday and I noticed another thing: on clips shorter than 5mins, the recording that's saved on the card stops approximately 10secs before I switch the ignition off, sometimes even before the car is fully stopped. Is this normal? Shouldn't the camera keep recording until it's powered off?

Been reviewing the footage from last Thursday and Friday and I noticed another thing: on clips shorter than 5mins, the recording that's saved on the card stops approximately 10secs before I switch the ignition off, sometimes even before the car is fully stopped. Is this normal? Shouldn't the camera keep recording until it's powered off?

do you have motion detect on or off?

I'm not sure how it could stop before you shut it off, have you noticed any unusual behavior when you stop the car that would suggest there's a loss of power or similar? Assume the files play ok?

I'm not sure how it could stop before you shut it off, have you noticed any unusual behavior when you stop the car that would suggest there's a loss of power or similar? Assume the files play ok?
No, haven't noticed anything. After I stop the car the first thing I do is pull the handbrake and the last thing usually is roll the windows up or down. This is all done with the engine still running but the file sometimes ends after I pull the handbrake and sometimes before. The moment I turn the ignition off is never recorded. However, the recording LED only stops blinking after I switch it off and it stays solid for a couple of seconds before the camera turns off. No corrupt files so far.

I've only reviewed the footage from the 2 days I mentioned above and it happened in all the clips. In many of them not even the window rolling was recorded (or saved, I'm not sure which) and I couldn't have switched the ignition off before doing that. I have even some clips that ended while I was rolling the windows.

The car's key sequence has 4 steps:
O- Initial position.
I- Turns the radio on (no power to the cigarette lighter).
II- Turns the ignition on (the cigarette lighter gets power).
III- Cranks the engine up. After that the key returns to position II.

This morning I did a test with the car stopped and recorded a 10secs clip. The whole 10secs were recorded and saved but I noticed the recording ends immediately as I turn the key to position O, that is when the power to the camera is cut off. This didn't happen in the other clips where the engine was still running when the recording ended.

Do you have it hard wired or using cigarette plug?

Does the end of the recording coincide with engine off or accessories off?

Back