That would be my record :)

fakej

Reaction score
Country
Poland
When it comes to comments: "what a moron" (referring to camera operator):
However comments are probably not much intererresting for non-Polish speakers.

Original fresh, slightly extended YT version here (interesting part at 1m:10s):

Must be a boring city if they wrote an article about a small crash :ROFLMAO: Here, they barely write an article if someone was shot unless it was the police that was doing the shooting.

Last summer a young woman drove thru temporary road blocks ( due to a bicycle race ) and then killed a young cyclist, the outcome of that was a 222 USD fine.
So if in Denmark and you want to kill someone, well run their ass over, for god sake don't use a knife or a gun, and to make sure your sentence are as little as possible, pop a few pills and some alcohol before the police arrive.

Last summer a young woman drove thru temporary road blocks ( due to a bicycle race ) and then killed a young cyclist, the outcome of that was a 222 USD fine.
So if in Denmark and you want to kill someone, well run their ass over, for god sake don't use a knife or a gun, and to make sure your sentence are as little as possible, pop a few pills and some alcohol before the police arrive.

Using a car as a murder weapon to get as small sentence as possible is probably universal recipe for most countries in the world. Alkohol and pills maybe not in every case ;)
But I guess the devil is in the details and maybe it depends how well or badly was the racing track signed. If the signs were not clear then maybe she should not have even been fined with $222! Maybe the race organizer should have been fined instead.
Anyway I get your point. On the other hand we all know that it's hard to explain we unintentionally killed someone with a knife or gun and it's so much easier to say that in case of a car. Then another question is - what were the proportions of the bad lack and the recklessness.

Last edited:
Must be a boring city if they wrote an article about a small crash :ROFLMAO: Here, they barely write an article if someone was shot unless it was the police that was doing the shooting.
Man, 50 years ago before the Internet our local newspapers here used to write articles about someone stilling apples from the neighbours garden. But 50 years ago we had comunism and no newspaper would be allowed to write about Police killing a man.

I know 50 years ago,,,, well almost, i visited the eastern block almost every year, with my communist father and his friends.
And we was also in Poland one time to see the camps those very naughty Germans build there.

I know 50 years ago,,,, well almost, i visited the eastern block almost every year, with my communist father and his friends.
And we was also in Poland one time to see the camps those very naughty Germans build there.

When it comes to naughty Germans - I got a job in Switzerland in 2008 (a month before the Swiss frank exchange rate against most of foreign currencies rised up 100% - that was a deal of my life). So I was introduced to some German guy who used to sit at a desk right next to me. When I heard he was a German (in Switzerland there are almost no Swiss employees below directors level) I inquired him: "Oh, German - Also Polnische Schweine und Hunde, verboten, ja?". And his response was probably the most brilliant I have ever heard in my life: "Oh, common we were just joking about dogs"

But he was half Dutch by the way.
But generally he didn't even feel half Dutch (except for the times when Dutch football team were playing their matches).

Last edited:

This would be a good use of the Albanian blood feud.

I'm not expert in this area but I would have some concerns if the proper revenge - Gjakmarrja in this case is good enough if you kill someone but you make an impression it was not your intention to kill the victim. But I might be wrong maybe killing someone with a car would fullfill conditions of the Albanian blood feud. The honour and ethics code is so complex.

There is honor and then there is "honor"
"honor" is like when drug dealing bikers, talk about it, when really for what they do and are honor are not a word they should be allowed to use.
But yeah the Albanians are next level ( also the criminals from down there that get up here ) i saw TV program a while ago about a kid caught in this family honor stuff, really if he went outside the family house he would probably get killed.
And that's just stupid.

No no, I was implying the victims family (young cyclist) get their revenge.

When it comes to comments: "what a moron" (referring to camera operator):
However comments are probably not much intererresting for non-Polish speakers.

Original fresh, slightly extended YT version here (interesting part at 1m:10s):

I note that there is no speed stamp in the footage - so only you would know how fast you were traveling - but it looks like an awfully fast pace at which you took off from the lights. The same goes for the black Alfa Romeo that collided with the Renault: If he had reduced his speed by, say, 5 km/h, perhaps the collision wouldn't have happened.

The attached screenshot is from an Australian road safety website: Essentially, it recommends maintaining a 4-second stopping distance when driving in wet conditions. The website is below:
Road safety during wet weather

I realise that different countries have different road speed rules - but when insurance claims can be declined on the basis of speed - irrespective of who was at fault - I think driving more conservatively in the wet makes a lot of sense - especially when people around you don't check their mirrors or blind spots.

David.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 16.08.24.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 16.08.24.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
GPX track is not a secret. There was a time when we exceeded a speed limit although it was not right before the accident. If you saw the YT video you can see that I slowed down to let black Alfa Romeo jump in front of me and avoid breaking as there was a slow car on his line. Also I don't think 5km/h would be enough to avoid collision. Maybe bill for the insurance company would be slightly lower. Anyway everyone has a right to have his/her own assesment of this situation. In my opinion what black Alfa did was a bit risky but fully legal (except from exceeding speed together with me in the earlier part of the footage). What white Renault did was rather stupid: crossing solid line right before pedestrrian crossing, without using turn signals and without checking the mirror if he/she had a clear way. I guess Renault driver got a ticket from the Police.

I think the length of the distance between cars that you are referring to is not quite relevant in this case because it applies to the situation when one car breaks and the other has to break on time too. It does not apply to the situation when someone changes line without checking the rear-view mirror. Also I have never fully understood why during wet conditions the distance should be longer comparing to normal conditions. When the road is wet all cars loose fast breaking ability. Obviously when one of them hits the wall the one that follows him is in a difficult position on the wet asphalt. But normally there are no walls on the roads and all cars break in the same conditions.

And yes I know this is the Eastern Europe and most of regulations including the speed limits and everything else are treated as recommendations. I'm trying to stay in some reasonable limits (which might be not resonable for someone else). On the other hand some regulations here I find really stupid. Let's say there is a curved road, no pedestrian traffic, speed limit 70km/h, someone goes 130km/h hits the tree and dies. Police in their report writes cause of the accident "abusive speed". What local authorities do? They quite often change the speed limit from 70km/h to 50km/h. How would you treat such speed limits seriously?

Attachments

• 2020_0128_072557_004.gpx.txt
    28.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
GPS track is not a secret. There was a time when we exceeded a speed limit although it was not right before the accident. If you saw the YT video you can see that I slowed down to let black Alfa Romeo jump in front of me and avoid breaking as there was a slow car on his line. Also I don't think 5km/h would be enough to avoid collision... In my opinion what black Alfa did was a bit risky but fully legal... What white Renault did was rather stupid: crossing solid line right before pedestrian crossing, without using turn signals and without checking the mirror if he/she had a clear way. I guess Renault driver got a ticket from the Police...

I think the length of the distance between cars that you are referring to is not quite relevant in this case because it applies to the situation when one car breaks and the other has to break on time too. It does not apply to the situation when someone changes line without checking the rear-view mirror. Also I have never fully understood why during wet conditions the distance should be longer comparing to normal conditions. When the road is wet all cars loose fast breaking ability. Obviously when one of them hits the wall the one that follows him is in a difficult position on the wet asphalt. But normally there are no walls on the roads and all cars break in the same conditions.

And yes I know this is the Eastern Europe and most of regulations including the speed limits and everything else are treated as recommendations. I'm trying to stay in some reasonable limits (which might be not resonable for someone else). On the other hand some regulations here I find really stupid. Let's say there is a curved road, no pedestrian traffic, speed limit 70km/h, someone goes 130km/h hits the tree and dies. Police in their report writes cause of the accident "abusive speed". What local authorities do? They quite often change the speed limit from 70km/h to 50km/h. How would you treat such speed limits seriously?

I agree with you on most of these points: The Renault was clearly the at-fault vehicle in this case. My reference to 5 km/h was simply me painting a picture of what might have been (or not have been), based on what is recommended in Australian road conditions, and in many cases is not enough, as you rightly said. This actually reminds me of the opening scene of an old Krzysztof Kieslowski film.

As far as posted speed limits in known 'black spots' - as we call them - are concerned, I agree also that lowering them to residential street levels would make little to no difference: There will always be reckless drivers who flout the road rules, and Australia is certainly no exception in that regard. On that note, I would suggest that it is incumbent upon local police and the Polish Roads and Traffic Authority - aka GDDKiA - to enforce matters appropriately with extra speed cameras and highway patrol cars.
When I read of Poland having "...one of the highest death rates for traffic accidents in the European Union...", the onus is therefore on minister Jadwiga Emilewicz to implement current EU road safety guidelines with greater urgency.

Na Zdrowie. (y)

David.

Last edited:
Back