The 522GW really is awful

Steven1105uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve read umpteen reviews now telling me how great this dash cam is. Best on the market apparently. I’ve had 3 dash cams over the past few years and this was by far the most expensive and yet in the few days that I have had it , it has been the most useless piece of kit I’ve ever bought for my car. Video resolution is very good. I bought a new U3 card as instructed and connected a new rear window camera but what use is any of this if the companion app is completely useless and don’t get me started on the so called Alexa compatibility. I have Alexa controlled lights,heating system, plugs etc but I could not get this to do anything other than beep at me. It responded once to a command but then died and decided not to respond ever again. I have reset to factory setting 3 times and reconnected everything back up but still won’t connect to Alexa. I have yet to be able to download a video off it via the app. Its always connecting. Needless to say it is getting boxed back up and will be shipped back to Very on Monday morning. I wouldn’t waste my money on this rubbish. Do these companies actually test their products before releasing it? Back to a DDPai dashcam that actually works.

HI @Steven1105uk

I'm really sorry you're experiencing that; its not what we've designed ti to do of course. Please see below, or call in on 02920 866 429 where we can help.

A few steps to get WiFi/Alexa working again:

1. Make sure that the camera is not recording, if it is then simply tap the red recording icon in the bottom left of the screen to stop it.

2. Tap the settings cogwheel in the top left and select 'setup'.

3. Scroll to page four and tap 'Keep User Settings' and turn it off.

4. Go to 'Default Settings' and select yes, this will set the camera back to defaults.

5. When the camera turns itself back on you will need to go through the first time setup again.

6. When you get to the 'Connecting' page then open the Bluetooth settings on your phone.

7. You will need to 'Forget' the camera from within the Bluetooth settings, then go to WiFi and tap the three dots and forget the Nextbase from saved networks.

8. Uninstall and reinstall My Nextbase Connect (and Alexa if applicable)

9. Open My Nextbase Connect and tap 'Connect to dashcam', as long as your camera is still displaying 'Connecting' you should be able to connect the two.

10. After a successful connection has been established then tap 'learn more' for Alexa, enable it and then select 'Open Alexa App' at the bottom of the screen.

11. Tapping 'Open Alexa App' should open up the app and take you straight to connecting page for your camera.

12. If you wish to use Alexa please ensure that both Alexa and My Nextbase Connect are kept open in the background on your phone.

My first 522 went back becuase it wouldn't connect to an iphone, the replacement does though.

Now today, with the weather being warmer, the 522 keeps making the stopping recording noise then the starting recording noise, I'm just not sure the 522 can be trusted, like most consumer electronics today it seems like a piece of cheap chinese junk with half finished firmware and a high price tag :mad:

Certainly couldn’t be trusted. Nextbase just keep repeating the instructions to forget the camera etc etc. I have never reset a product so much in the first week of use than this dashcam. Alexa never worked correctly and connecting to the app is basically impossible. It’s like setting a product up from scratch every time you want to use it. Only way I ever got a video off it was by taking out the SD card and transferring it to a laptop. The connect base app is basically useless. Alexa feature was useless. Gives the Alexa brand a bad name. I would hate for ppl to fall for nextbases adverts. Waiting patiently on my refund from Very then il buy a decent dashcam.

sorry to hear you are having bad experiences with your dashcam and I do hope @NextBase Support can give you some good advice. I can only speak for myself and do not have any of the problems you are experiencing. The iPhone app works well, Alexa integration is absolutely spot on. Prior the latest firmware update I did have to press the reset button a couple of times but it works well now.
I do hope you manage to get a refund Steven and that you get a device that works to you expectations. I just thought I was redress the balance of what I find to be a very good, high end dashcam.

OP - I'm finding it useable but have to agree with your sentiment

Things got a lot better if i only ever connect to camera from the app - but still similair to what you say

Out driving yesterday and again the 522 quite often did the stop recording noise followed immediately by the start recording, not sure what's going on with it, will check the footage, I think this is maybe an overheating problem, when I pulled it off the mount the area around the magnet was so hot you couldn't touch it, must have been in the region of 80C.

Is that screen on or off, I mean do you use the screensaver?
I don't use the screen, I use the screensaver after 30 seconds, I know it runs warm, but maybe with the screen on, it's hotter.

Is that screen on or off, I mean do you use the screensaver?
I don't use the screen, I use the screensaver after 30 seconds, I know it runs warm, but maybe with the screen on, it's hotter.

Screen on all the time.

Try it with it off, then you'll have your answer, if it's on all the time, and it's doing it, and if you try it with the screensaver on, and it doesn't, then it's overheating I would guess.
And to me, that would indicate a hardware fault.

Try it with it off, then you'll have your answer, if it's on all the time, and it's doing it, and if you try it with the screensaver on, and it doesn't, then it's overheating I would guess.
And to me, that would indicate a hardware fault.

I run it with it on, if it doesn't run all the time with it on then quite frankly, its a poorly designed piece of crap not fit for purpose, this is the second unit already, the first refused to connect to any IOS device.

I am not continuing to do QC and beta testing for Nextbase, this is ridiculous.

Dashcams screens should be turned OFF when driving. It is not a visual aid - and the police may consider it a distraction (especially if you're in accident and you was looking at the screen at the time).

I’ve read umpteen reviews now telling me how great this dash cam is. Best on the market apparently. I’ve had 3 dash cams over the past few years and this was by far the most expensive and yet in the few days that I have had it , it has been the most useless piece of kit I’ve ever bought for my car. Video resolution is very good. I bought a new U3 card as instructed and connected a new rear window camera but what use is any of this if the companion app is completely useless and don’t get me started on the so called Alexa compatibility. I have Alexa controlled lights,heating system, plugs etc but I could not get this to do anything other than beep at me. It responded once to a command but then died and decided not to respond ever again. I have reset to factory setting 3 times and reconnected everything back up but still won’t connect to Alexa. I have yet to be able to download a video off it via the app. Its always connecting. Needless to say it is getting boxed back up and will be shipped back to Very on Monday morning. I wouldn’t waste my money on this rubbish. Do these companies actually test their products before releasing it? Back to a DDPai dashcam that actually works.
I agree with you totally useless dashcam never been able to use Alexa despite talking with the support team twice. Although they tried to help I don’t think they know how to deal with problems with this cam I regret buying

Yea they have no clue how to get Alexa working at all. They just keep reiterating the same steps over and over again. They don’t even get that it’s not normal to have to reset a brand new product or go through the ‘first time set up’ again and again. The clue is in the name! It should set up first time. Probably one of the worst purchases Ive ever made.

I've never used Alexa so not really familiar but what's the attraction of having Alexa in the dashcam?

I must admit that I have wondered that as well.

Suppose I see it as a hands free extention of Alexa in the house, that is, if they ever get their fingers out and get into gear with the Alexa skills.
Ask it to play music, make calls, etc, etc..record video, lock/save video on the camera.

Suppose I see it as a hands free extention of Alexa in the house, that is, if they ever get their fingers out and get into gear with the Alexa skills.
Ask it to play music, make calls, etc, etc..record video, lock/save video on the camera.
the camera functions I get, play music and make calls though, doesn't your compatible phone already do that anyway?

yeah, but suppose, not hands free..
I guess like I say, just an extension of the in house Alexa.

yeah, but suppose, not hands free..
Google does it, think Siri does as well, just seems like an over complication to have the camera pass a command to a phone that the phone can do already

Last edited:
Back