The 522GW really is awful

An update - like another user had posted. When I start a VPN session like NordVPN or ExpressVPN BEFORE I connect my iphone to the camera - then the video works... I can see the clips and download them to the phone.. This is clearly a bug in the code

Well I just purchased the 522GW and its awful to me. I use an Iphone 11 , and i have a SANDISK Extrem Plus card speed rated at U3 - which is not a fake. Live view connects - but there is no ZERO video - just a blank screen. I cant select any recorded videos - again the photo supposed to show next to the clip is missing. Overall just a very bad experience.... And technical support responded once asking me to ensure my SD card is not a fake - I tried this with 3 different cards - and besides LIVE view does not work
Same issue with my iPhone11. Mysteriously if you had a VPN turned on all works !!!!!

New user here myself, purchased a 522GW in December after reading reviews on video quality and clarity; but man do I wish I had done a deeper dive into the reliability of the iOS experience and the app. I have NEVER experienced as much frustration with an electronic device as I have this unit. I have had so much trouble trying to download a video off the unit using the app, to the point where I'm about to either return this thing or sell it at a loss and move to Garmin. I've been trying to download a video I need to send to a company after witnessing something they wish to see, yet each time I try to download it just stays stuck in that mode and does nothing. As other users have mentioned, when accessing the camera via the app, none of the video thumbs can be seen and can only see the date and time they've been recorded. When I click on the "hamburger" icon as they call it and select a few videos to try and download, hitting the download button does absolutely nothing, but also selects OTHER videos to download. If I view the video in playback mode it's fine, but then when I click on the three dots in upper right corner and manually select download, it won't show anything and then all of a sudden the download scree appears, but it just stays like that and does nothing. To add insult here, I constantly have to quit out of the app and go back in so that I can view another video by date. I can't just scroll through each video and select to view/watch, which is incredibly frustrating.

So my question here to @NextBase Support is: what gives with all these bugs and canned replies of trying the same stuff over and over again, to no avail? When are you going to admit there is a serious bug in your iOS app and that it needs to be tested and fixed? It's not like the lot of us here just picked up an iPhone for the first time, or a computer for the first time.

You guys need to fix this.

Nothing to do with Apple then? Maybe they need to do something about their OS as well...

Not an option then to take out the card and transfer it onto your computer? I have the WiFi option on 4 of my dashcams but even with it being available I still always take the card to the computer.

Nothing to do with Apple then? Maybe they need to do something about their OS as well...

Not an option then to take out the card and transfer it onto your computer? I have the WiFi option on 4 of my dashcams but even with it being available I still always take the card to the computer.

Sure--if Apple developed the Nextbase app then they'd be mostly accountable, but that's not the case here. I have ZERO issues with others apps that require connectivity via WiFi or BT, so this is clearly a Nextbase problem.

And why should I have to take out the SD card all the time and transfer files, when the main drawing point to this device was the functionality of WiFi or BT transfer.

And why should I have to take out the SD card all the time and transfer files, when the main drawing point to this device was the functionality of WiFi or BT transfer.

This is the most practical way. It's vastly quicker, more secure, and allows for multiple duplicates in seconds.

Getting files to the people that need them is best served by speed and brevity rather than slowness and WiFi transfer is certainly always in the latter.

Until the 5G network becomes the industry (and home) standard, using the computer will be the choice and best solution for the majority of people.

Bear in mind too, the disgruntled user always finds more of a voice compared to the user who is delighted.

I hope you find a solution though, rather that than an unhappy consumer with any product.

if you want to copy one or two files off at the scene of an accident then having wifi is useful, if wanting to copy off more than that taking the card out is a much better idea, this goes for any camera, the files are too large for it to be practical

I've had a few issues with my 522 GW. As mentioned by others the Alexa just never worked, I gave up on that feature pretty quickly as tbh it was more just for those moments when you're driving and a random thought pops into your head.. "hey Alexa, why is the sky blue?"

I also had the issue with sporadic recording where minutes of a journey are missing between clips, this seemed to be exasperated by having the rear camera connected. I found that having the screen set to on reduced the number of times it missed a recording. I hide the dashcam behind my centre mirror on the passenger side so it's not direct line of sight for me, I can just see the LED's to make sure it's actually doing something.

My main annoyance is that the damn thing is too heavy to stay on the windscreen.. it took about two weeks for it to fall off the first time. I left the dashcam off and pressed the dock against the window again and left it over a weekend when I didn't need to use my car to make sure there's a good chance of adhesion without the weight of the dashcam pulling the dock away. In the end I swapped the sticky pad for Gorillia heavy duty double sided tape but even this is getting pulled off by the weight of the dashcam.

Is anyone else having issues with the dashcam coming off the windscreen?

The few times i have had cameras come off sticky pads, it have always been the bond between the camera itself and the pad, i have never had a pad loose grip on the glass / dotted area of my windscreen.
in that case i have just put some strong glue in between camera plastic and the sticky pad, then it have remained in place.

Please can you confirm that you can see the MyNextbase Connect as being available on the Google Play Store/ Apple Store?
If you type 'Nextbase Skill' into the Alexa Skill store, what comes up please? A screenshot of the result would be extremely helpful, if possible?

Hi Millie,
Australian user here, there are no results for Nextbase in Alexa Skill store, does this mean it is not compatible in my region? I cannot get it to set up and connect at all (iphone 8 ios13)
Also WIFI is failing to connect to transfer videos. Stuck on Wi-Fi connection in progress screen, no cancel button and have to close and reopen app. Wifi connection between phone and dash cam is very buggy.

Regarding Emergency SOS feature, is it guaranteed to call Australian local emergency services and not try connect to UK or somewhere else? How can I confirm this.

So far it is not a very good out of box experience, and I haven't even installed/used it in a car yet.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Edit: looks like it isn't available in Australia.
This is misleading advertising.
@NextBase Support When will it be available here?

Attachments

• 2020_02_14_14_58_20_MyNextbase_Dash_Cam_Amazon.co.uk_Alexa_Skills.png
    2020_02_14_14_58_20_MyNextbase_Dash_Cam_Amazon.co.uk_Alexa_Skills.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Downloaded it, installed it.

The main camera on it's own seems to work fine, but (like many, it seems), when I plug in the rear camera the unit freezes or turns itself off.

Its using a nextbase branded 32Gb card.

Are there any special tricks to get it to work with the rear camera ?

Are nextbase themselves reading these forums ?

Feel like i've bought a dud, what are my options. Return it and pick a different brand ?

I wonder if having the rear cam Unplugged while the firmware is applied should be done?

Did you have the rear attached or not?

Either way, you could try rolling back the firmware, then reinstall it with the rear connection opposite to your first attempt.

I'm sure that with another brand, firmware is applied without the rear connected, and then power off and plug it in and turn on as normal.

May be worth a try.

I wonder if having the rear cam Unplugged while the firmware is applied should be done?

Did you have the rear attached or not?

Either way, you could try rolling back the firmware, then reinstall it with the rear connection opposite to your first attempt.

I'm sure that with another brand, firmware is applied without the rear connected, and then power off and plug it in and turn on as normal.

May be worth a try.
I performed the update with the power cord connected but not the rear camera (because as I said, it freezes with the rear camera connected)

The camera just freezes and/or turns itself off when the rear camera is connected

I performed the update with the power cord enabled, but not the rear camera (because as I said, it freezes with the rear camera connected)

The camera just freezes and/or turns itself off when the rear camera is connected

One for @NextBase Support then m8.

that's good news, just means it's an error in the app and should be easy to resolve

Update installed and same issue with no liveview and unable to view recorded clips UNLESS VPN turned on.
as previously stated IPhone 11 most current IOS.

Yes okay, have done. Just seems from other posts on this forum that this is not an isolated case, in fact I haven't seen a positive testimonial of a working 522gw with a rear camera.
Anyone ?

I received my 522gw with rearview last Christmas, working well so far

I connect to my computer to download any videos I want to keep

I use the suction cup, as I move it between my personal and work vehicles as needed

I do not use or need Alexa function

Yes okay, have done. Just seems from other posts on this forum that this is not an isolated case, in fact I haven't seen a positive testimonial of a working 522gw with a rear camera.
Anyone ?
Mine works fine too.
I've had a couple of issues, but they were sorted out by app/firmware updates.
working fine with rear camera module attached.

Back