Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
Git2,Xiaomi Yi, Mobius, Sj1000, gt300w, GS9000, GS600, Gopro
The-Auto-i-730x417.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/289343974/the-auto-i

2364bf3f7a0eb7190ec6a78dfed278f8_original.jpg

Yeah there is a fjew questions that pop up in my head, one is do the camera need a sim card too ?
I assume so cuz otherwise i cant see range beeing that good.
Allso i am not a fan of cloud anything, but i might be able to acccept if events when there too just as a safty mesure.

And i would be able to deal with yet another sim card, if the monthly data can stay below 10-12 Gb, then the prize is not that bad.

But otherwise i would prefer a storage devise of some sort buried deep inside my car, if possible i would like that box to have a high resistance to heat ( its become pretty normal here to torch the car, at first cars used for bank robberies, but now it seem everything get set on fire )

Actually a local / Danish MC group just got ther club house torched for the #2 time yesterday, but offcourse with bikers you never know its not like they are on a friendmaking mission.

The 360 degree mirror remind me of bygone Sony 360 cameras.

The 360 degree mirror remind me of bygone Sony 360 cameras.
I'm a bit unclear if it can record a 360 degree view or just switches to a wide-angle backwards view when you tell it to.
I think the full 360 is worth having, despite the extra storage and processing needed. Vertical size can be cut down to save space if necessary, not so important to record the sky and interior roof.

the view offered is normally something determined in software with these types of solutions, it's very light on detail and I suspect they have quite a way to go to be able to deliver a retail ready working product

maybe a case of if we get funded then we need to work out how to deliver, the target is quite low so good chance it will get funded, will get interesting after that

Hopefully it is a software thing, but from the abilities they describe it could just as easily have two sensors looking through one lens.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Hopefully it is a software thing, but from the abilities they describe it could just as easily have two sensors looking through one lens.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

this style of camera they have pictured is based on an existing product, there are multiple view types offered through software, the detail it delivers is nothing spectacular though, it might be fine for people that aren't too dashcam savvy but would probably disappoint the early adopters here that have progressed through lower spec products already

technology moves at a rapid pace though and may well improve enough for it to be a workable solution in the not too distant future, you don't design products solely on current tech or it's outdated before you even release it so you have to gamble a bit sometimes and think beyond the present moment with this kind of stuff, all the same I think they have a lot of work ahead of them and not sure how realistic the timelines are, wait and see I guess

They make it look so simple, easy and very effective in the advert video, don't they? People receive the videos from the events instantly and somewhat miraculously, like you just need a simple smartphone for the system to work. Maybe it's the angels up there in the "cloud" that do all the data transfer for free...
Why don't they just build a fake camera with an intrusion detector that triggers those warning messages and sell only the car stickers? They seem to be very effective! :p

Auto i + normal dashcam = blackvue DR650 :D :D

technology moves at a rapid pace though and may well improve enough for it to be a workable solution in the not too distant future, you don't design products solely on current tech or it's outdated before you even release it so you have to gamble a bit sometimes and think beyond the present moment with this kind of stuff, all the same I think they have a lot of work ahead of them and not sure how realistic the timelines are, wait and see I guess
The biggest problem with these systems that advertise non-physical data transfer is that the current worldwide 3G/4G network isn't designed for this type of huge data transfer (I would even leave 3G out due to its lower transfer speeds), not to mention this involves uploading, which in general has only 10% of the maximum download speed. I can see someone trying to access the cloud to review the latest recordings and find out the only ones available are from the 2 or 3 previous days.
And then there's the mobile broadband's data usage limits imposed to operators by international regulations (over here is 15GB total, download and upload, and as soon as you reach that limit they reduce the speed to the minimum possible until a new billing cycle starts) and the poor coverage.

I don't see regulators and operators very interested in changing the LTE's network rules to transform it from a mobile internet access, limited to simple web browsing and updating your (anti) social media status, into a massive data carrier network, like fiber. Until that change happens (if it ever happens), these type of "surveillance" systems won't have much of a future.

I totally agree with our Portuguese forum member, even in little Denmark that have pretty good cell coverage, the good 3 G and 4G you will only find in and around the major cities.

AS soon as you get out in the country there is actually many places where you cant even get 1G on your smartphone, some ppl living in rural places have to go to the first floor of the house to use ther cellphone or out in the garden.

Mobile operators are now beeing forced to make better coverage, but its not easy or cheap, even in a small pretty flat country like Denmark.

This is a google map where Danes have added locations where they cant get a useable connection on the cellphone.
https://fusiontables.googleusercont...=1&z=7&l=col1&y=2&tmplt=2&hml=ONE_COL_LAT_LNG

And remember this is just a voice connection or a somewhat stable one, let alone 3 or 4 G that will be a lot worse.

There is a little inforamation ( in danish not sure if its transleated by google if you are elsewhere ) to each dot, explaining the issues at that place and the phone/carrier used.

Last edited:
So i argue the smart goes off the product if it have to buffer internally and then UL when it get in range of a useable network.

I would prefer a fireproof headunit thats hidden and secured well, and then a large internal storage device of some sort.

All i would need out of said main unit should be a USB access port for data - updating and so on.
Offcourse a villain could put a tazer to said USB port and then fry much on the internals of the main unit, i am not sure if there is any way to protect against such a high voltage "attack"

I totally agree with our Portuguese forum member, even in little Denmark that have pretty good cell coverage, the good 3 G and 4G you will only find in and around the major cities.

AS soon as you get out in the country there is actually many places where you cant even get 1G on your smartphone, some ppl living in rural places have to go to the first floor of the house to use ther cellphone or out in the garden.

Mobile operators are now beeing forced to make better coverage, but its not easy or cheap, even in a small pretty flat country like Denmark.
But better coverage only doesn't solve the need for immediate availability to upload large amounts of data over the internet. Mobile broadband, as it is now, has to be limited because the infrastructure doesn't have enough bandwidth to support large amounts of data being transferred both ways at the same time by lots of users. It's okay when there's little traffic but at peak times everybody gets their speeds cut down. Been there, done that and I have to thank Vodafone for letting me switch from a mobile broadband service after just 2 months of a mandatory 24 months contract (which was of no use to me because of the 15GB limit) to a brand new fiber contract. The UL speed isn't as high as the mobile broadband (22 vs 30Mbps) but now I can upload as much as I want and I also have TV and landline phone for less than I was paying with the mobile service, which was just internet.

Here 4G is no way as fast as the speeds you see mentioned elsewhere, and thats just download i dont really know what UL speeds are for connections like that.

( OT ) I was reading about the new up comming bluetooth standart, cant remember numbers but it was faster and longer range.

My operator ( 3 )
list the following for 4G connections outdoor.

Download: 8-35 Mbit/s
Upload: 2-24 Mbit/s.

Outdoor for 3G.

Download: 4-20 Mbit/s
Upload: 1-4 Mbit/s.

I find that a little wierd cuz looking at ther coverage map the speeds go all the way up to 200 Mbit/s, but i assume thats best case, and the other is what actual tests indicate.

I have 4 G on my phone ( got that for free ) but my phone can only do 3G, allso a reason to why i wish a little i was able to upgrade my phone.

Back