The best free video editor ( An introduction to VideoPad )

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c

To date , I have not found a better "FREE to use " video editor ..
Windows movie maker is nice , but lacks so much ...
So if anyone wants to try this software , please do ..
I will post some short tutorials as I have time , this software is insanely easy to use and powerful for Free to use Software ...
If some one has something better (?) please let me know ! ( If its free )

Reserved for Tutorials

Cutting and joining in VideoPad ( How easy can it be )

Removing the audio track from a video

Joining two video's

Adding a Audio Track

There are lots of sources for audio , one of my fav places to grab what I need is Youtube .
This usually means that the music is embedded in video of some sort , but not a problem , I have already shown you how to unlink audio from video and then delete the audio , only now we do it the other way around and delete the video part .

CD55 Asked for it ... Video in video

Last edited:
Looks like a nice easy to use editor.
Can it do more advanced things like blur faces / license plates. Also what formats can you save to? Can you save without reencoding?

I think you are stuck re-encoding , but you can re-code to a very high standard ..
Free version is limited - output options ...

And to get the free version you need to do a search for the free version and then click the link for the free version result ( in the search ) .. ( Google )
Other wise there will be no link to the free version .

free videopad video editor = Search term to use .... in google

Video Editing Software. Download Free Video Movie Editor
www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

Click for free version ..... :)

Older versions (?)

Last edited:
If you click the link provided in the previous post , there will be an option for the free version ...

Windows Movie Maker !

So much its not funny , I cant even imagine making a list as it would be so long ...
I have used WMM , and its ok if you dont want to do anything overly technical ... But it is somewhat crippled when compared to other video editors .
When has microsoft given away anything remotely fully featured ( ? )
Ok there is Win 8.1 and 10 , but I am rather suspicious that they are NSA funded back doors to your internet activity . ( what better way to spy on people than giving them free spyware )
And when did MS become the good guys ( I just cant even imagine such a scenario )

VideoPad is free , easy to use .. And does a boatload of stuff for nothing ..
Im not here to sell VP to anyone , I use it , I like it , and so far its the best video editor I have used that cost nix .
Whats that old saying - You can lead them to water ! ( What happens next ? )

So much its not funny , I cant even imagine making a list as it would be so long ...
For me (and for the majority of people who use WMM because they're not into the overly technical stuff, only the basic technical stuff) it has more than it's needed to make a decent (I would even risk saying a good) video. The only things I'd probably need that it doesn't have is zooming. Does VideoPad have it?
And saying that VP is free, easy to use and does a boatload of stuff for nothing... I can say the same things about WMM.

Look, I'm not here defending MS or its products but I tested a lot of free video editors before WMM and they were all either complicated, not user-friendly or limitated, and that's enough to put someone off using them.

Video pad !
It zooms , it crops , it allows you to play with the Audio track . lay down multiple Audio and video tracks and edit them separately .
Video in video , Like a reversing mirror type thing . And its not technically difficult to use ..
And if anyone has issue , I am prepared to do a video tutorial .. ( Because its so easy )
Try it , that's my only advice ...

IN a nutshell , VP is no harder to use than WMM ...
You can do in VP what you do in WMM and the difficulty level is about the same ..
What you get with VP is a lot more Tools ... or features .

In this video :
I have removed the original audio track
Replaced it with a new audio track
I am running the same video track in two streams ..
In one stream I have zoomed / cropped / resized / and moved the video
Both video streams have been edited independently of each other ...

VP is seriously powerful , without requiring a 6 month training course to use it ...
A few hours of playtime , to learn where stuff is , and you'l wonder how you ever lived without it .
I have tried a lot of other software , some of which have been ridiculously difficult to navigate to the tools you want ..
Just cutting a video in some software is WTF ( ? ) , a simple task that has been made insanely difficult by some very short sighted individual .
VP is not like that , it's no harder to use than WMM , just more powerful .
And this is my last post on this subject .
This is too much like trying to convince some one to take their medicine so they don't die !
If anyone tries it and has difficulty , just let me know , and ill see what I can do to help ..
This software is free to use , no money , nothing to be afraid off .. It wont bite .

IN a nutshell , VP is no harder to use than WMM ...
You can do in VP what you do in WMM and the difficulty level is about the same ..
What you get with VP is a lot more Tools ... or features .

And this is my last post on this subject .
Don't be like that! I'm sure I'll have some questions to ask you after I try it. :D

No I mean , Im not going to try to convince anyone that its good ...

Im more than happy to help smooth out any bumps in the road ...

I installed it and tried to make a video but as soon as I insert the zoom effect (or any effect, for that matter) in one clip the program pushes the CPU cores to the max (and stays there), slowing everything down to a point where it's impossible to do anything on the project. Also, from what I could understand, it doesn't zoom in and out, which was the effect I was looking for. :oops:

If you want to zoom on the fly ? And then capture the zoom on the fly ...
Then you may wish to try ... https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/zooming-in-registrator.15324/
I've read that thread before but I'd have to use two more programs besides WMM and I want to keep things simple. I'll give it a try, anyway.

As for your CPU being taxed ( ? ) I can't help with that .
Any modern CPU should handle VP just fine , ( unless your also running low on RAM )
It's an Intel Q9650 Core 2 Quad at 3.00GHz with 4GB of RAM. I tell you, even rendering videos with WMM doesn't push the cores as much as simply applying one effect to a single clip in VP. It's not a memory problem because it only uses 8% more than what the system and the rest of the processes are using, and the total is not even close to running low (only 32% of the available memory).
I don't know why VP does that. What I know is that it's simply impossible to do anything on the computer with all the cores being used at 100%.

I've read that thread before but I'd have to use two more programs besides WMM and I want to keep things simple. I'll give it a try, anyway.

It's an Intel Q9650 Core 2 Quad at 3.00GHz with 4GB of RAM. I tell you, even rendering videos with WMM doesn't push the cores as much as simply applying one effect to a single clip in VP. It's not a memory problem because it only uses 8% more than what the system and the rest of the processes are using, and the total is not even close to running low (only 32% of the available memory).
I don't know why VP does that. What I know is that it's simply impossible to do anything on the computer with all the cores being used at 100%.

Hmmmm , That CPU should PUMP ...
I run a 8 core AMD @ 4GHZ and 8Gig of ram ...
I feel the need for 16Gig of ram , maybe next year ...
I also run Win8 on a SSD .. ( need a larger one of those as well - SSD )

My computer is middle of the road , but the more affects you apply , then the more power needed to process in a timely manner ..
If mem serves VP did seem to run faster in Win10 than in Win8 ( For some reason )

The other thing could be the drives ...
Anyhow , Video editing has always been resource hungry .

ooops !

Is the slowing down occurring when you PREVIEW the video (?)
I think this is where its happening ..
So you need to understand that - the software needs to do a lot of work to create a preview , an awful lot of work .. ( And you would need serious power to render in a timely manner )
Or , go make a cup of coffee while the computer does what it needs to ..

ooops !

Is the slowing down occurring when you PREVIEW the video (?)
I think this is where its happening ..
So you need to understand that - the software needs to do a lot of work to create a preview , an awful lot of work .. ( And you would need serious power to render in a timely manner )
Or , go make a cup of coffee while the computer does what it needs to ..
No, it happens right after I click "Apply" in the effects window. I never got to watch the preview because it simply won't do anything.

Anyway, I'm just exploring what tools are out there in case I'll need to zoom on anything when I get my Mobius. I don't know if the wide FOV setting will make the picture wider than the one I have now in the AT11DA.

hmmmm ,
Wow , hmmmm ... Ok , simply too many variables ... ( causes )
Im sorry to hear that ..

Back