The calm approach to a hit and run

The compassion and understanding is laudable, but she had to know there was a collision and that hit-and-run is a very bad thing to do. I have to question whether someone as unstable as her needs to be driving- something a court would have decided had the correct process been done. What if the next time she 'freaks out' somebody is killed? Will this man then offer to take her place in jail for making the mistake (and also breaking the law himself as Police must be called when a crash occurs) and him not doing anything which could have prevented it? I think not. And who will pay for the repairs- each person's own insurance? That wouldn't be right either.

Care, compassion, and understanding are good, but breaking laws isn't, and society as a whole has a system which is supposed to be used when that happens so that such things hopefully do not occur again. Nice has no part in doing right things or wrong things, and doing right isn't always nice, but it's always the right thing to do.

Phil

some people panic when they have an accident and behave irrationally, particularly if they're a new driver, or it's a first time accident

I understand, but that is unacceptable behavior from someone having the responsibility to operate a 2- ton machine capable of causing much harm and death in an open society. It needs to become known and corrected by her, or she doesn't need to be driving. It is for the legal system to decide, not individuals.

Phil

Me too, but that does not make it right or acceptable. I wish car driving licenses were tested for like airline pilots do- that has a test portion regarding a person's psychological makeup and their ability to do their job well under stress. When human lives are at stake there are no acceptable excuses, there cannot be. I've been through some really bad and hair-raising stuff in my life; I melt down when it's over like you would't believe but not before then. It can't be allowed before then. If I did it sooner I would not drive, nor should people like that be allowed to drive.

A simple test: Would you want someone like her driving through the neighborhood where your kids were playing? Or next to your wife while she was driving? That answer should always be yes- if it isn't then that person shouldn't be driving.

Driving isn't for everyone, some people simply can't handle it well enough.

Phil

some people panic when they have an accident and behave irrationally, particularly if they're a new driver, or it's a first time accident
Yes, everyone is human, it is normal to panic, that is why in the UK we have 24 hours to report the incident to the police before it becomes a hit and run that can be prosecuted. If you you do report an incident like that within 24 hours then the police will do nothing other than to exchange insurance details between those involved.

Yes, everyone is human, it is normal to panic, that is why in the UK we have 24 hours to report the incident to the police before it becomes a hit and run that can be prosecuted. If you you do report an incident like that within 24 hours then the police will do nothing other than to exchange insurance details between those involved.
yeah if it were here although the driver took off if you didn't follow you'd be within your rights to report them and the driver would get a handful of tickets for their trouble, most people wouldn't do that though unless they also panicked (that happens as well) and would give chase, mostly because the driver that runs often has something to hide, eg no insurance, no license etc, a panicked driver is the less common type of drive off after an accident

whether up the road or at the location if the vehicles don't require towing, and nobody is injured, then the police won't attend anyway, it's classified as a self reporting accident and you have 24 hours to make your own report, 99% of the time nobody gets a ticket this way either, it's just a formality

Better to get the police involved, write a report if possible, or at least to verify her ID and insurance. That's not being 'mean'..

When i got my license way back, what to do if you have a accident or witness a accident was also part of it.
So i would probably be less then mellow if i experienced a hit and run, and if the driver was a guy of size and age i am sure my language would also be less then mellow.

Though i do also think i would be on the phone with the police if i went after the car

My wife was involved in a little knock.
She was leaving an Asda car park, saw a car coming round the corner and they could not get through. My wife stopped before the person came round cutting the corner big time.
She barged past, hitting the o/s/f and her o/s/r. She didn't stop just kept going & very fast away.
Fortunately the dash cam got the drivers face & number plate.
We forwarded the SD card to police, 2 weeks later a letter back saying they are taking no action. Even though she didn't stop.
I informed the Insurance Co but as the damage was slight I decided not to pursue as would have meant court.
I cleaned it all up, polished it & now you can hardly see it.

Three weeks later in morrisons car park another bang in the rear. Note left on windscreen with phone number that didn't exist.
I still should have fitted a rear camera, I will get round to it sometime. I hope.

Nice show of compassion from that guy, but he could very well run into some dickheads on drugs and get hurt or worse. He had a dashcam so he could just call the police or the insurer.

Back