The Cig Lighter Power Cable interferes with my Radio Signal....

ultimica06

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone else have the issue when using the Cig Lighter Power Cable....they loose their radio signal??

All I get is Static.....then once unplugged its fine again.....

Anyway to fix this??

or if I hardwire the Dash Cam will my radio signal come back??

Thanks!!

You are not the only one.
I plugged my 0805 in and noticed a light hiss on my car stereo. It's only there when i plug in the power cable.
The fix is rather easy, get a good quality 12v dc to 5v dc converter.
You could hardwire it with a 12v to 5v kit which should fix the problem, don't use the included power cable.

When i purchased my car i fitted 2 12v Accessory Sockets underneath the dashboard, they are linked to the fusebox and have their own fuses.
I just plugged a 12V usb charger in there and ran a 2M long micro-usb cable up to the dash cam.
A good quality 12v usb charger is this one: DealExtreme
This is the charging cable i use, it has a right angle connector which makes is easier to hide the cable: ebay

These links are just suggestions, if you have a good quality converter use that one, or check out your local car store they might have one.

You are not the only one.
I plugged my 0805 in and noticed a light hiss on my car stereo. It's only there when i plug in the power cable.
The fix is rather easy, get a good quality 12v dc to 5v dc converter.
You could hardwire it with a 12v to 5v kit which should fix the problem, don't use the included power cable.

When i purchased my car i fitted 2 12v Accessory Sockets underneath the dashboard, they are linked to the fusebox and have their own fuses.
I just plugged a 12V usb charger in there and ran a 2M long micro-usb cable up to the dash cam.
A good quality 12v usb charger is this one: DealExtreme
This is the charging cable i use, it has a right angle connector which makes is easier to hide the cable: ebay

These links are just suggestions, if you have a good quality converter use that one, or check out your local car store they might have one.

So if I use a USB style plug instead of the Cig Lighter style plug....it will eliminate the static I get on the radio??

I don't have a radio noise issue, but I was sick of not having enough USB charging points.
So I bought a Rocketek Quick Charge 2.0 50W 5-Ports USB Car Charger
It seems to be a decent quality item, and since it has Quick Charge support (at least for one port) it probably has reasonably sophisticated circuitry that might filter out noise.
71FbPN21z0L._SX522_.jpg

Was wondering if anyone found a way to reduce or stop this issue? Short of wiring into system? Sorry but already taxing my old 2003 with a ham radio wire-in & a specialty car horn system wired in.
Not that I normally listen to my radio, I usually play my ipod through my bluetooth speaker but that was giving me issues yesterday so decided to listen to the radio. It seems to stop if I back the plug out but then it doesnt appear to be getting a charge. Should be steady blue light if charging, right?
I'm debating finding one of those multiplug thingmabobs Rajagra posted.

Was wondering if anyone found a way to reduce or stop this issue? Short of wiring into system? Sorry but already taxing my old 2003 with a ham radio wire-in & a specialty car horn system wired in.
Not that I normally listen to my radio, I usually play my ipod through my bluetooth speaker but that was giving me issues yesterday so decided to listen to the radio. It seems to stop if I back the plug out but then it doesnt appear to be getting a charge. Should be steady blue light if charging, right?
I'm debating finding one of those multiplug thingmabobs Rajagra posted.
Look at this thread....
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0805-radio-disruption-gps-problem.9357/page-2#post-148458

I can't remember if it was the nextBase hardwiring kit or the mini 0826 but one of them came with ferrite cores which you could clip onto the wire to prevent interference to the radio. Should be easy enough to source or if you are in the UK I think I've got one or two spare which I didn't need for the truck installs that you can have and see if it helps.

Thanks Arctic, I'm a ham so have a couple laying around anyways.

And I found out its the cig cable that came with the 0805, my mom picked up some of them panasonic dashcams for xmas. Before I put hers in her car I tested the cable on my unit, no static. So, I pulled out a temp fix in using a regular usb to micro cable into a double usb cig plug, its working fine, no static.
I ordered a 6' & a 10' cable from amazon, just need to get some new cable holders to run one of them. Wasnt sure of the length I needed for my ranger truck.
And another option is to just run a short cable like I am currently & ziptie it to the window warning bar lights I have in there already.

Back