The clip on anti-reflection lens, how many use them?

GRG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it not be fare to assume that most or all of these cameras will be positioned in a location likely to suffer from reflection?
Would it not have been apt for them to be included?

Obviously very early days for myself but it already appears to be a factor.

Did you wait to order one or do it quickly ?

I've seen one thread with a source for them....is that the only supply for them ?

add a CPL filter and it will reduce reflections, it also adds one f/stop to the lens which means night time video is very poor which means you have to take it off at night, they take the edge off focus and generally increase motion blur, reflections are annoying to look at but the alternatives aren't great either

Reactions: GRG
Phew glad I haven't ordered one.

I will follow your advice.

No longer required.

Thank you

I designed an adapter that allows you to fit a MagFilter CPL to the DR500 and to the front cam of the DR550. The adapters are available through Shapeways and Sculpteo. 126 of the adapters have sold through Shapeways, but I cannot track sales through Sculpteo since I have no markup on the adapters, and Sculpteo does not report on sales with no royalties.

The lens barrel of the DR650 apparently extends farther out from the side of the cam body than does the lens barrel of the DR500/550. I redesigned an adapter to fit the front cam of the DR650, based on measurements reported to me by a DR650 owner. The DR650 adapter is available at Shapeways and there have been several sales, but nobody has yet reported if it works or not.

The most popular adapter is on the left. I moved surface S1 to position S2 (on the right) for an adapter for the DR650.
650-prototype_zpselgijnca.jpg

Yes, the CPL will cut down on light, and I take it off (very easy to do) when I drive at night. I do not drive fast enough during the day (with the CPL mounted) to experience "motion blur" mentioned in an earlier append. :p

There are definite advantages to the CPL.

(1) Far more light is blocked from the sky than from the rest of the outside. Therefore, the non-sky parts of the image are opened up more and you can see more detail in the darker areas - detail that would otherwise have been obscured.

(2) The reflections in the windshield are greatly reduced. Windshield reflections can also hide detail, but the CPL almost eliminates the problem.

A typical before/after comparison:
noFilter-D_zpsaeab07ac.jpg

Filter-D_zpsb24ff78f.jpg

An extreme before/after example (dash reflections are still present, but greatly reduced, and you can see more detail):
noFilter-A_zps241eccc6.jpg

Filter-A_zpsff6af91c.jpg

Reactions: GRG
How can I order one! ?
It's got to be worth a try !

I have the DR650

Cheers

GRG:

Shapeways does the 3D printing for the adapter. My orders come from their facility in New York in the US. They also have a printing facility in Holland, which is likely where your order will come from.

(1) Here is the link to the DR650 product:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/SG...d-magfilter?li=shop-results&optionId=57085277
http://www.shapeways.com/product/SG...d-magfilter?li=shop-results&optionId=57085277

I assume the link will work from the UK. Alternatively, you can go to Shapeways and do a "blackvue" search and eventually find what you want.

Note that I have not tested it and the people who have ordered it have not told me about their results. The recommended material is the "white strong & flexible" plastic or the black version of the same thing. Shapeways just dyes the white product black. (The "Strong & flexible" plastic is highly heat-resistant which is good to have, especially in the US south.) I will probably get the 1-channel DR650 eventually.......

(2) You may want to look at the product description and comments and for the DR500/550 adapter. The comments contain a discussion about the sizing for the DR650 version. You may want to make some measurements of your DR650 cam to see if you think the adapter will fit. The comments will help you to do the measurements. Here is a link to the DR500/550 product:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/LD...d-magfilter?li=shop-results&optionId=15493022

(3) The 36mm Carry Speed MagFilter is not included! You have to order it separately. Here is a link to the US Amazon page for the product. I hope that you can view it OK from the UK. Amazon UK should also carry the MagFilter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0093YC6ME
(4) Once you get the CPL MagFilter, you need to know how to orient it properly. Park you car so that you get a lot of reflection in the windshield. Hold the CPL MagFilter by itself about a foot or 30 cm in front of your face, and rotate the filter until all (or most) the reflection disappears. Mark the bottom edge of the MagFilter in some way. I put on a little patch of yellow sticky-tape. Then, when you put the MagFilter on the adapter (which is now on your cam), orient the yellow indicator at the bottom.

Post some photos if you get it all working!

I bought the MOOVIKA Polarizer Filter Clip Pack Front & Rear Compatible BlackVue DR650 at a cost of Au$94 including postage.

The reduction in reflections from the dash and rear shelf was only minimal.
The rear filter introduced significant rainbows to the image.
The reduction in light level made night-time videos very dark.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this method.

I'm going to work on ways to directly reduce the reflections from the dash and rear shelf, starting with some very dark woolen material I've bought.

normally if the effect is not good it's because the lens is not aligned correctly

"The BlackVue Polarizer Filter Clip is already set at the factory for vertical polarization."
And the filter is glued to the frame. I can't move it.

Hey, thanks for ur efforts. u should charge a little and make a buck or 2 for this. I purchased the original slip on design for the 550. Is,this not compatible with the 650?

Do you have the same simple design for the 650? The one without the 2 clip? sticking out? I never had issues with the original design falling off.

I designed an adapter that allows you to fit a MagFilter CPL to the DR500 and to the front cam of the DR550. The adapters are available through Shapeways and Sculpteo. 126 of the adapters have sold through Shapeways, but I cannot track sales through Sculpteo since I have no markup on the adapters, and Sculpteo does not report on sales with no royalties.

The lens barrel of the DR650 apparently extends farther out from the side of the cam body than does the lens barrel of the DR500/550. I redesigned an adapter to fit the front cam of the DR650, based on measurements reported to me by a DR650 owner. The DR650 adapter is available at Shapeways and there have been several sales, but nobody has yet reported if it works or not.

The most popular adapter is on the left. I moved surface S1 to position S2 (on the right) for an adapter for the DR650.
650-prototype_zpselgijnca.jpg

Yes, the CPL will cut down on light, and I take it off (very easy to do) when I drive at night. I do not drive fast enough during the day (with the CPL mounted) to experience "motion blur" mentioned in an earlier append. :p

There are definite advantages to the CPL.

(1) Far more light is blocked from the sky than from the rest of the outside. Therefore, the non-sky parts of the image are opened up more and you can see more detail in the darker areas - detail that would otherwise have been obscured.

(2) The reflections in the windshield are greatly reduced. Windshield reflections can also hide detail, but the CPL almost eliminates the problem.

A typical before/after comparison:
noFilter-D_zpsaeab07ac.jpg

Filter-D_zpsb24ff78f.jpg

An extreme before/after example (dash reflections are still present, but greatly reduced, and you can see more detail):
noFilter-A_zps241eccc6.jpg

Filter-A_zpsff6af91c.jpg

Hey, thanks for ur efforts. u should charge a little and make a buck or 2 for this. I purchased the original slip on design for the 550. Is,this not compatible with the 650?

Do you have the same simple design for the 650? The one without the 2 clip? sticking out? I never had issues with the original design falling off.

The lens barrel of the 650 extends farther from the body of the camera than it does on the 500/550. Therefore, if you use the 500/550 design on the 650, the inner surface of the filter will hit the end of the lens and the filter will not make contact with the magnetic ring.

Here is a design for the 650 without the clips (new 650 on the right - original 500/550 on the left).
dr500-dr650-presson-comparison_zpsetlffrwe.jpg

Note that I have not tested this design. I made the changes based from careful measurements from a 650 owner, but I have not received any feedback on whether it works (the design I produced for the 650 owner was for 650 clip-on, not the press-on shown here that I produced for you).

It is available at:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/V4...d-magfilter?li=shop-results&optionId=57441107

No need to do a mark-up. It won't make me rich! :p

If you order it, please let me know if it works.

Last edited:
The lens barrel of the 650 extends farther from the body of the camera than it does on the 500/550. Therefore, if you use the 500/550 design on the 650, the inner surface of the filter will hit the end of the lens and the filter will not make contact with the magnetic ring.

Here is a design for the 650 without the clips (new 650 on the right - original 500/550 on the left).
dr500-dr650-presson-comparison_zpsetlffrwe.jpg

Note that I have not tested this design. I made the changes based from careful measurements from a 650 owner, but I have not received any feedback on whether it works (the design I produced for the 650 owner was for 650 clip-on, not the press-on shown here that I produced for you).

It is available at:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/V4...d-magfilter?li=shop-results&optionId=57441107

No need to do a mark-up. It won't make me rich! :p

If you order it, please let me know if it works.

Can you put it back up for sale? I'm trying to order one!

Can you put it back up for sale? I'm trying to order one!

A tested design for the DR650 front camera went on sale today. See: http://shpws.me/KjGn

Here's the new design (upper right), the old design (upper left), and the MagFilter components (foreground).
2-adapters-with-CarrySpeed_zpshhnxux53.jpg

The new design is a lot "grippier" and it does not move when you rotate or remove the filter.

This shows the adapter in place, before the magnetic ring or filter are installed.
adapter-in-place_zpsod0scz7h.jpg

Does it come in different colors? Florescent Orange would be nice. :eek:

Does it come in different colors? Florescent Orange would be nice. :eek:

I've added orange and purple, just for you! Fabulous! :p (such a deal...)
DR650-Orange_zpsv1yi1niu.png

DR650-Purple_zpsjovwhif8.png

(Look at the scrollable images on the product page: http://shpws.me/KjGn)

The default color - white - can be painted (by you) any color you want. You can lightly sand the outer surfaces to remove the slight graininess and layering effect of the 3D printing process. The Shapeways colors are added by dying the white adapter. The default material is laser sintered white nylon powder, which is very heat resistant, tough, and yet flexible enough for the installation process.

A tested design for the DR650 front camera went on sale today. See: http://shpws.me/KjGn

The new design is a lot "grippier" and it does not move when you rotate or remove the filter.

This shows the adapter in place, before the magnetic ring or filter are installed.

I prefer the low-key design w/o the brackets. The one on my 500 worked perfectly!

Back