The "Dash Cam Is Unresponsive" Message

Caravanj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My replacement 522GW dash cam is displaying the "Dash Cam Is Unresponsive" Message most of the time it starts up but if I switch it off & restart it with the engine running so that it's powered up the message will disappear.

I can't find anything in the manual that covers it.

Hello,

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam using a pen. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally or does the message come up again?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam using a pen. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally or does the message come up again?

Kind regards,
Millie
Hello Millie,

I've already tried what you suggested.

I sat in the passenger seat yesterday to have a better look at the dash cam & at the top left of the screen it said SOS so the full message is "SOS Dash Cam Unresponsive" & the satellite symbol flashes so the GPS mount isn't finding any satellites.

My old 322GW found satellites in a few seconds, as do my smartphone & my TomTom sat nav, so it isn't a car windscreen blocking issue..

The SOS function is totally unreliable as the dash cam regularly fails to find any satellites, even throughout an entire journey such as this morning.
A dash cam where I need to keep looking out for SOS error messages is not fit for purpose.
Today I've given it another full test, SD card out, reset button pressed powered up but no satellites found.
Put the SD card back in, powered it up & it found satellites in a few seconds.
Switched off & back on & it didn't find any satellites.
It's the hit & miss that isn't acceptable.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'd recommend ensuring that the cable is plugged in to the mount, and not directly into the camera.

Please also ensure the connectors between the GPS mount of the camera are clean, free of debris and undamaged.

Please take your mount and camera inside a house and attached it to an outer-facing window that has a clear view of the sky. The connect it to power using the USB cable. Does the camera now show the GPS icon or any GPS information?

If it's not getting a solid GPS signal after any of the above then your GPS mount is faulty and we'll replace it for you. If this is the case, give us a call on 02920 866429 (UK) and we'll get your details for the parcel.

Kind regards,
Millie

Well the replacement 522GW was slightly better than the one that had to be replaced but the SOS function is still totally unreliable as the unit sometimes finds the satellites & sometimes it doesn't.

As for the Alexa function, I've given up trying to use it as I can control all our devices, via Alexa voice commands, directly from my phone.

I've solved the SOS problem by getting my 322GW back from my friend & giving him the 522GW as his car has an SOS function built into it.

I think that the 522GW will damage Nextbase's reputation.

Back