The dashcam failed to record. A suggestion for a fix.

Jacko956

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 512gw, 512 rear
I've had another failure to record. I think some, if not all of the following conditions will cause a fail.

* Ignition off
* Rear camera attached (not really tested without rear cam)
* Flat or nearly flat dash cam battery
* Parking mode on
* Parking mode triggered
* Ignition on

I can guarantee that with the above conditions my dashcam (probably yours too) will crash as soon as the door is opened and the car is started.

As can be seen in the photo the dash cam froze. In fact it did record a 2 second clip before freezing. I actually thought it was recording normally until I noticed it had a frozen image on the screen. So in my case it actually froze due to the combination of a flat battery and parking mode triggered by opening the door.

The workaround is to see what is happening on the screen after the car is started, turn off/on the dash cam or if frozen as in my case (see photo), press reset.

When the dash cam is receiving continuous power from the car then there isn't a problem, it will record normally. A more robust power source is needed otherwise fails will continue to happen. I don't think the sd card is to blame as I've tried a Samsung and now an Integral high endurance card.

20181019_134032.jpg

Really need to double check it's working correctly before setting off. The internal battery is insufficient to be used in parking mode. There are other options I'm considering.

Just thinking out loud ....... I wonder if you could wire a suitable powerbank in ?

Charges when ignition on but delivers power 24x7

Bound to be a snag

Might as well use a hard wire kit. That protects the battery at 11.5V (I think that's right without checking).
As I read it, the power banks take quite a while to charge (45 mins to and hour or so) after a night's powering the dashcam, so unless you do runs of at least that on a daily basis, you are on a hiding to nothing anyway.:( And boy, are they expensive.:eek:

I told you there would be a snag :)

Might as well use a hard wire kit. That protects the battery at 11.5V (I think that's right without checking).
As I read it, the power banks take quite a while to charge (45 mins to and hour or so) after a night's powering the dashcam, so unless you do runs of at least that on a daily basis, you are on a hiding to nothing anyway.:( And boy, are they expensive.:eek:
Power banks are expensive. Was looking at the cellink or blackview. Not going to spent that kind of money. The other option is a hard wire kit as M8TJT suggested.
However, was looking at adafruit powewrboost https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-powerboost-1000c-load-share-usb-charge-boost/overview
Not sure about the safety of using a LiPol battery though.

The power banks do, and the battery is a great big slice of the cost.
A dashcam takes around 0.5A, so a 2,500mAh (2.5Ah) will last about 5 hours.

I'm still intriged why a stationary vehicle records periodic files flattening the built in battery.

I have this very problem nearly every morning, although it could be full battery at night, but by morning it could be that flat it has to wait to pick up the date/time from the GPS. Also have the non record/ frozen situation.
Sometimes 10 second recording of nothing fill the card, other times 1min 30sec recordings, Then I may or may not have a frozen camera or have to re pick the rear camera position from the choice of 3 on-screen. Parking mode on, firmware 22.5, hardwire kit, 2nd replacement from Halfords who won't swap it for a 3rd.
And I need my camera for daily use, so being without one isn't really an option.

memory card is often the root cause of lockups, what memory card are you using, have you tried a different card?

if there's a hardware problem speak with @NextBase Tiffany and I'm sure she'll help you get sorted

Tried both the 32gb nextbase card and SanDisk extreme 64gb ones from Halfords, the 64gb was on special.
I did have an RMA open from James at nextbase but Halfords swapped it.
The camera was bought 2 months ago to the day, and replaced about a week or 2 after installation, so around the 3rd week of September or so.

I'm sure Tiffany will be able to help you, have tagged her already to make her aware, no doubt you'll hear from her once she's online here next, she checks in pretty regularly so it shouldn't be too long

I had a problem while Parking Mode on, battery was flat every morning(multiple videos without any sense recored.), dash cam failed to record several times while driving. Parking mode off now- dash cam still not recording properly, recording a few minutes then stopped, even after fresh format of sd card(32GB Nextbase) still have the same problem. Is it problem with 22.5 firmware or just waste of a lot of money?

@Jacko956 the battery should be enough to sustain parking mode, especially over night. How many protected files are you getting throughout the night?

Are you able to email us at support@nextbase.co.ukso we can take a look in to this and get it resolved for you?

Phoned tech support and they sent me a Nextbase sd card although he thought it might be software related. Now testing and not had any issues. If it does turn out to be that its very picky with sd cards then perhaps nextbase should supply one with their cameras.

Just a thought, hope the resistance of the cable to the rear camera isn't an issue.

Great tech support though.

Back